Packers GM Brian Gutekunst Expects Aaron Rodgers to Sign New Deal Soon

It is time. All the other QB deals had to get done first. I guess he is probably a 32 million dollar man instead of a 30. The guaranteed portion is going to be amazing.

I’m thinking it is going to be the first contract that goes with percentage of the cap without specific numbers.

James Jones will apparently break the news when it happens.

I can’t imagine a non-free agent being the first to get that kind of deal. But that would certainly be interesting.

I actually think it is agents that would make those kinds of deals impossible. At some point how do you one up the last guy when you are doing percentages of cap deals?

If Rodgers is worth 22.5% of your cap this year is Russel Wilson worth 24% next year? Is the next guy 26% and the next guy 27% etc? At some point your QB is your entire cap.

The wages go up, but so does the cap.

Rodgers contract will probably be just a little more, as a precentage of the cap, than the last contract, which is understandable as high-quality passers are even more in demand in this increasingly passing-oriented league.

$22m pa back when the last contract was negotiated is equal percentage-wise nearly $30m now. I guessed over a year ago that Rodgers likely new figure would be $32m. I still think that will be close.

I was thinking specifically in relation to this comment

I’m thinking it is going to be the first contract that goes with percentage of the cap without specific numbers.

I just don’t think you can say “Rodgers is going to get 22% of our cap for the next 5 years” where every time the cap goes up so does the contract. Because then the next QB up for a contract will get 23%. And the next guy 24 and so on until there is nothing left.

I would assume that if teams go by percentage, the NFL will mandate only so much can be allotted for a certain position to prevent upping percentiles. Something like only a starting QB can only take 20% of the cap for beyond the 2nd contract. Limit it to only the QB position.

I think the Players Union would have some say in that. Not sure they would agree to it.

I would think that they would be in favor of guaranteeing that one starting position doesn’t get over a certain cap percentage so that the others could get more.