Mike Sherman
Matt Flynn
Mr. T
Big Foot
Loch Ness Monster
Godzilla
Jesus Christ
WInston Moss

I know you and I see things differently more often than not, so I hope you don’t feel like i’m picking on you, but OMG you made me laugh with this one! :wink:

First I don’t think Philbin or Pettine are anywhere near #2 a - b. Philbin would have to turn this current team into a juggernaut for the final 4 games and even that might not get him in the discussion. If the insanely possible chance that we made the playoffs (let’s be real) happened and he got us to compete for a Superbowl then I think he’d have a real chance. Pettine came to us having said he has no interest in being a HC. He was so wore out after Cleveland that he took a year off and spent another year working as a consultant only.

Then of your Fantasy group i’d only consider Reid or Payton, both of whom will not be leaving their current jobs. Favre and Holmgren? We are about to close the books on 2018… you might want to catch up! haha I guess your Bizaare-o-World list started a couple names too late.

Glad you caught the humor in this post lol.

Yes by the end of the season we will have to knock down Philbin and Pettine to at least 2 d and e as there really is no names yet and they are second tier candidate to most of us. People in the media have mentioned trading draft picks for Reid or Payton, so I put them under fantasy as that it is only a fantasy.

Impossible to know who candidates are as we still really don’t know who would make the decision. The media pushed Murphy pretty hard, I paid far more attention to the answers of Gute.

I find certain names seem to be real for various reasons. Taylor for example, while checking of experience with new era offense is 35 and ties back to Sherman. Fitzgerald is a horrible candidate, unimaginative offenses, nerve fraying rah rah, 4-3 defense when the Packers don’t have 4 defensive lineman, Campbell 35 no pro experience and on and on. I would not be shocked with the Hughes connection, though to see Harbaugh leave Michigan ending up in either GB or Cleveland.

It all comes down to Murphy getting out of his own way. He is getting a lot of criticism from all quarters right now, this could blow up in a big way on him. I am no MM fanboy, but the way Murphy has handled this makes me even question given Sunday’s debacle was bad even, why he couldn’t wait a couple of weeks? Maybe we will get a quick answer…

I feel pretty good about Gute here, even though to be frank I am not hot on any one candidate known. If Murphy takes this on himself, I will be pretty concerned…

I think that Gute was truly behind the firing. Murphy keeps his veto just to prevent knee jerk reactions until Gute proves himself. Like it or not, Murphy is running the Packers as a corporation not a community center

Not as sure. Keeping TT past expiration date and allowing this thing to get to this point shares a lot in common with a community center. But I tend to agree with your broader point Gute may be getting more power. Just not that Murphy is so swift.

:innocent:

Philbin is a 2. a. candidate now that he has a win under his belt. The offense didn’t look like it was in pieces like it did when McCarthy was calling the plays. Maybe McCarthy would still be head coach if he turned over some of the play calls to Philbin. Joe did go really conservative and allowed the Falcons back into the game.

Philbin himself said he hasn’t called plays in 20 years. Not surprising at all to see the offense pick it up today. Eliminated last week and this is pretty much what the Offense has looked like at home all season.

If Philbin wants to be a real candidate, put 34 on the board next week. THAT would turn heads. Like sarahfar, I’m trying to figure out who the driving force is in the Coaching hire. It feels more like Murphy to me. When they fired MM the only logic for the timing I could come up with was Murphy had a candidate in mind that was not currently attached to a NFL team and he wanted to go ahead and get those conversations going, or he really wanted to evaluate Philbin in the role.

If it was Gute, I think he would be more drawn to a 40 year old type Coordinator. Therefore he would have no need to fire MM early.

I honestly can not think of a single College Coach I would want to hire. Harbaugh included. The main thing I like about Philbin is I think he would be more likely to keep Pettine.

I too hope Gute has the final say over who we hire.

Hard to tell for sure. They do seem drawn to youngerish OC, but who knows. Now we will see what they do. Other than some initial whispers College coaches kind of fell by the wayside.

Also, to me Gute had an excellent first draft. I really have been pleased with most picks. I think the most unsung has been Jackson. Jackson shows, up plays and gets better. He and Alexander have been getting better and learning from mistakes and playing. Like the big receivers too…

I’m going to make 1 case for Philbin as our next HC, although admittedly I feel like I should wait until after these next 3 games. Still, this is just an opinion and not one that will carry any weight with the organization so what the heck. I also will very likely change my mind many times until someone is actually hired.

I have always believed continuity on a team is 2nd only to talent. I don’t care that much about scheme. Get good players and have smart people put those players in position to make plays. That said, I want to keep Pettine around and I think having Philbin promoted would help ensure that.

On the offensive side of the ball I think it would be important for Philbin to hire a new OC and that is key to this whole thing. Who would he hire? Who is available? Philbin is familiar with Rodgers (the good and the bad) and could be a valuable overseer between Rodgers and the OC. Hiring a new QB coach might be another necessary component to this.

So, it seems possible to keep some stability / continuity while also getting a fresh start. I haven’t had a lot of time to process this idea and am just now vocalizing it, so i’m afraid this about as well as I can put words to it.

Fitzgerald would be an amazing candidate, but as a Northwestern fan, I don’t want him to leave.

I think he could excel in the NFL as he runs the team as a manager and a leader. He doesn’t call the plays on offense or defense, so the fact they run a 4-3 defense or the offensive play calling can easily change. What he HAS done is bring a team that has no business sniffing the Big Ten Championship Game into it, with a string of Bowl wins and a bright future. Northwestern should NOT be able to compete in the Big Ten, with Fitzgerald, they are, every year.

DeFilippo Is really handcuffed by Zimmer. Rodgers is way better qb than cousins. Reid comes from the Holmgren tree. Pederson comes from the reid tree which is just a branch of the Holmgren tree and DeIlippo is a off shoot from Pederson. I personally would be happy to go back to that lineage that came from Holmgren

I’d take DeFillippo in a heartbeat. He destroyed the Vikings with the Eagles and … well … with the Vikings! :slight_smile:

Zimmer is demanding a conservative approach with running the ball. DeFilippo was trying to appease Zimmer. I think DeFilippo is the scapegoat for the HC meddling in the offense.

Welcome back Slank!

Philbin coached his way out last week.

I know it would be a ton of pressure but the Saint’s offense is looking pretty decent. Would Joe Lombardi be a good candidate?

Can you imagine the pressure and circus that would follow the hiring of a Lombardi? What a zoo that would be. Of course if they did and he was successful in bringing home a Lombardi trophy or two or three, that would be something.

Indeed. But he would have to hire a pretty good OC and maybe keep the current DC. But having a Lombardi would be a pipe dream and the expectations would be too high.

The one thing is getting a guy that is compatible with the personal that is currently on the team. A system that is compatible with Rodgers, the line, and the WRs.

Philbin might be a good choice as HC. I originally thought he’d have no chance at being the Packers HC, but I’ve been warming to him. It doesn’t hurt that he has had one chance at it, because that can teach what not to do second time around. The players seem to like him, and the situation he is in is better than it was at the Dolphins. To make it work, I think he’d have to get a good offensive coordinator in, but the Packers could probably do much worse than Philbin + new OC + DC Pettine.

There are other candidates, maybe stronger ones, but none that can generate the same kind of enthusiasm I had when Pettine was made DC. I could live with giving Philbin + good new OC a chance to run the franchise (Acme Packing Co. mentioned McVay)

Later thought. I’d want the innovation to come from a new OC, so Philbin would have to allow him to install his offense and run it, while he does all the other stuff a head coach is responsible for.