Aaron Rodgers tries to clarify contract rumors

I think it is pretty clear things are getting a little muddled in GB. The Rodgers contract is just one interesting thing going on in GB. Matthews has made some fairly critical comments about Ol depth. Moss on Packers.com gave the single worst coaches press conference I’ve seen in GB. It is worth a look and Graham gives a great one in contrast.

My sense remains there may be a good deal more behind the scenes than we realize, Rodgers turns 35, that they have had so many remedial secondary drafts, they have increasing refused to invest much beyond Spriggs in Ol talent. And increasingly Spriggs appears a wasted pick. They did look at Ol early, but I am bothered they waited until 5 to address Ol needs. Clearly I don’t think Rodgers sees himself as optionless as some in the media do.

I just can’t get over how bad Winston Moss interview/pc was… reflects poorly on MM and Murphy, just brutal…:

Screwed up Matthews was critical about Olb not Ol depth…

Wow! You’re right. That was an awful interview. He seemed totally disinterested. Didn’t want to be there. Almost as if he had been fed a dose of information that he didn’t like at all before he went out, and was simply doing his duty, or as another big name in the NFL once said, “Was just there so he wouldn’t get fined.”

I’ve seen blows up, and bad press conferences, but nothing like that. My impression of Moss has always been he is bizarre and ruined a lot of talent. I have viewed as a weak link, but that exceeded my worst nightmare of him. This speaks to MM arrogance and lack of any semblance of analysis. Just seems to me insane to let him act like that. Obvious now to anyone, why he will never get a HC or DC job. MM isn’t doing either the Packers or Moss any good to let him do that. He clearly had grown more and more toxic on the staff. Last year in TC he got into an altercation with Campen I believe, if the organization has good sense and wants Pettine to have a chance, they should fire Moss now, that was a tremendous unforced mooning of everyone…

It seems like Moss is displaying tendencies like someone that is Bi-Polar.

He made poor Ted Thompson look like Chatty Cathy. Clearly something very wrong and brooding there… Who would want to play for that?

I agree with Sarahfar. Can’t imagine that surly spirit on the coaching staff is good for the team. If MM doesn’t have the guts to do it then Murphy needs to stop up to the plate and get rid of that cancer before he causes some real problems. Murphy wanted all the power. Do something with it!

Lot of moving parts. McCathey is very obstinate. I think having weathered this storm Moss is probably untiuchable.

I think Murphy has a tiger by the tail. Gute I was surprised to see even comment to a reporter about not having the same control Thompson has. I took that as more of an unguarded comment, but we’ll have to watch that especially after a year, they have done this a lot the last 5 years. So if the Packers do well, I would expect Gute to get full powers and MM probably a larger and longer extension. If they don’t it gets very dicey indeed, winning will cure some of that.

Rodgers is really the most interesting of all of this. I continue to believe the idea of him being forced to live with the last 2 years and then tagged is not realistic. He has far more levrage than most writers credit him with. Until they prove they have more talent, Rodgers is a the Packers to some extent.

Moss is but one example where Gute could exert direction and instead Murphy has needlessly interjected himself and now has multiple voices where one would suffice. We’ll see, winning cures some if not most of it…

Yeah, I do think some of that was a short term setup, because we’re in a rare situation now where the coach has been with the team for awhile, proven himself (won a Super Bowl) and is generally very well respected. The GM is brand new, never been a GM before, so you really have no idea how he’ll act or work as a GM.

In that scenario, I can see the President wanting to take some control over the coaches contract, he doesn’t want the GM to just fire their good, know, long term coach over a simple personality conflict, him just wanting HIS guy, or something of that nature. I can understand not wanting to give the Jr guy full power over the Sr guy day one.

I think once we see how they work together, how Gute does this year as the GM, how McCarthy does and how clear his future in Green Bay is then, some of those things might revert to a more normal state.

Gute has been in the top 2 behind TT. Remember TT is still there. The moves made were reminiscent of when TT made some big power moves in the draft and FA, something he rarely has done since.