2019 Raiders at Packers game thread

Packers will face the Raiders . How will this team respond after playing another partial game? Trevor Davis will return to Green Bay wearing the wrong colors.

Packers have signed former Raiders WR Ryan Grant (Great name I know) this past week.

Not really impressed by the defense. The offense seems to be clicking on six out of eight cylinders.

Rodgers is starting to get more comfortable with the system

Defense looks like Capers defense having a good day.

Martinez just isn’t a 3 down ILB, teams are isolating against both Martinez and any S not named Amos. I also think they continue to exploit the two NU DL. When they get Savage back it should help, but Martinez is a bigger problem.

Martinez is being isolated the talent around him covers for what he lacks. But situations like today, it couldn’t be covered since they were trying to cover over the top with Savage out.

Limited size and AA, but very bright. Just very limited against Ol on the 2nd level, big backs and TE’s. He and the Safeties behind Amos and Savage are an issue. It is interesting, if Pettine had an answer, he would have fixed it.

I think I would not trade for a Wr, but would look to add DE, DT or ILB if available.

What I find interesting is that teams started to play the Packers running game over the passing game, subsequently the Packers make plays in the Passing game. Looks like the days of cheating against the pass are over.

a stud DT would fix a lot of Martinez’s issues however TEs would still be an issue.

They get Jace back, he is eligible to come back after next Sunday, will be interesting to see after they designated him last week, if he has come along. I think a DE/DT would be a big help. There are some who might be available.

Jace wasn’t exactly a pre-season wonder… He needs a couple of years in the Packers strength and Conditioning program. He has the talent.

It is hard to know what they really have planned for him other than he was designated for return as early as after the KC game.

I wonder what the Jets want for Leonard Williams. After the Oakland GC trade, some of these trades look really exorbitant. I love a lot of what the Packers have been doing, but I just think Dean Lowry is a good rotational player not a starting caliber DL.

“The Packers did not have a sack or a QB hit against the Raiders, but Blake Martinez made 16 tackles and was credited with forcing Derek Carr’s goal-line fumble.” Said Rodgers: “The play that was most important was Blake’s hustle.” Martinez said: “I knew it was a touchback right away.”

If only we had someone that didn’t have limited athletic ability…

2 Likes

Blake is a liability in coverage. Tackling and the stopping the run, he is a machine.

USA Today has an excellent piece on Martinez yesterday, he is listed as a dud and it is accurate. He did have 16 tackles but inside those numbers are very difficult no’s, missed tackles and 10 of those 16 were for more than 4 years, including missed tackles and the big Jacobs run.

He makes up for his shortcomings with hustle and smarts, but that is deceptive to as he tends to bite and at times overrun plays compensating for his lack of explosion. His size is limiting when big OL get the second level. Right now offense are isolating him and the S not named Amos. He is a liability anyway it is cut. Maybe he can overcome it, but big OL, RB and TE are exploiting him. I can agree though if you have a Mike Daniels type DE and get Lowry off the field, maybe some of the run issues improve.

But anyway we cut what was maybe a game anomaly with Phily is turning into a trend. Oakland gained more yards than we did and it is clear they are isolating on some things. If Pettine doesn’t or can’t adjust, it will catch up to us.

Pettine Works with what he has. Well Martinez is a really good player, he needs to be complemented with someone that can do the things that he cannot.

High cost to any trades now, the trend continues as Sanu goes to NE for a 2. Bill O’Brien and Houston have been insane in what they have paid this offseason … they have had loads of company. Don’t get me wrong , drafts can be shallow and NE is a different case, they have plenty of mid round ammo to do this, but teams like Houston are clueless…

Was hoping that Burks would have been that guy…

MVS had two big plays which have been lacking all season. Hoping for this trend to continue.

36.8k Likes, 82 Comments - Green Bay Packers (@packers) on Instagram: “👋 #GoPackGo”