Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Forum Changes

In partnership with Packers Weekly A FREE, once–weekly e-mail round-up of Green Bay Packers news and articles. 
All files from this thread

File NameFile Size Posted byDate 
cheeselogo.png77.2 KBopen | downloadFox_NFLs_Green&Gold01/11/2018Read message
Forum Changes
January 02, 2018 12:41PM
In light of the recent increase in traffic and the opportunity to serve new users through the other forum closing, I'd like to open up a thread to discuss potential changes to the forums.

• For starters, I'm going to be performing some updates to software in the coming weeks and updating links underneath the banner. It has been quite some time since we've updated these, and many are out-of-date or have merged together.
  • I'd like to put a new contest out to update the banner image to modernize! Ideas for this are welcome, but a few years ago, we tried a couple times and saw no response.
  • It may be wise to find some additional moderators, as the ones we had in the past have been inactive for quite some time. I can't be a full-time moderator, but I will attempt to put in as much time as I can afford right now.
  • I'd like to figure out how to better integrate with social media platforms. I've tried in the past and not had great success, but I'm willing to put in another attempt at doing so.
  • If anyone else has ideas on how we can promote the site and increase usership, I'd be welcome to ideas!
Re: Forum Changes
January 02, 2018 12:47PM
Ideas Social Media Modules which link to official packer postings and perhaps media postings.

Banner does need to to be modernized, but what size do we need?

I don't know if it would be a option but maybe a mobile version that allows the template to be viewed easier on a phone? A lot of people use phones and tablets as a primary viewing of websites.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 12:51PM by Fox_NFLs_Green&Gold.
January 02, 2018 03:58PM
Current banner image is 1000 x 154. I think keeping something close to this size would make sense.

The mobile templating would be nice, but something Phorum has not done particularly well with. I had worked on one in the past. I'll investigate further.
January 07, 2018 08:14PM
Yes, if more people use the social share at the bottom of each thread, it will help spread the word about this forum and it's topics.
January 11, 2018 06:26PM
How about using this little thing I just made as a logo. It doesn't have anything official attached so it should be alright.

January 02, 2018 01:21PM
Also maybe looking at migrating to different software as Phorum doesn't have many updates to keep up. But It is easy and simple though.
January 02, 2018 03:54PM
I would be willing to be a moderator if need be. I'd also be willing to take a swing at the banner if we have a contest. My wife has some Adobe software that may be of use.

January 02, 2018 07:59PM
GIMP is also good (Free equivalent to adobe photoshop) for image editing or making.
January 03, 2018 09:43AM
Not techie enough to know what's good, but the bad, for me, is the way the threads are structured. One thing missing (I think smiling smiley is the ability to agree/like/question a post without having to quote it. The other is that replying to a post gets positioned higher up rather than at the end, so if one looks at the most recent post, they may be taken beyond other 'new' posts. I doubt if anyone who knows what they're doing needs examples, but I'd be glad to link to sites that I, personally, find easier to navigate.
January 03, 2018 10:27AM
I think that it is the structure of the software.

But I was thinking about something, Banners can be changed. But this community never really had a logo to identify by. Maybe first settling on a logo (which can be placed on a banner).
January 03, 2018 10:50AM
Certainly something worth considering. Hmm...
January 03, 2018 11:14AM
Name recognition, you know...
January 08, 2018 10:10AM
I really like this idea (re: logo)...
January 10, 2018 07:13PM
Logos make a place different. Banners make it just another fan forum that banner is obsolete within a year or less.
January 03, 2018 10:48AM
If I'm understanding correctly, you're kinda describing the difference between threaded vs flat replies. In flat, all replies go in order, so it's difficult to tell which response someone is replying to, whereas threaded allows you to show responses to individual messages within a post. The old format was threaded, but that was years ago now.
January 05, 2018 09:34AM
1. Sounds like you're referring back to me, and, if so, then it sounds like I'm advocating threaded as opposed to flat.

2. Since I'm not sure about the first part of (1), it sort of emphasizes why I'd want that. smiling smiley

Also, after I posted my suggestions, I realized I forgot to add that I prefer formats that have the provision for Like/Agree/Funny and the like so I don't have to read a whole quoted post with the additional information of "me, too" and the options for Ignore, so I can just read every post without first checking who wrote it.
January 13, 2018 09:29PM
I prefer threaded to flat
January 16, 2018 09:33PM
I like the banner just change a few players. Keep #12 and add Addams #17 and another player.