Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TT out as GM...

In partnership with Packers Weekly A FREE, once–weekly e-mail round-up of Green Bay Packers news and articles. 
TT out as GM...
January 01, 2018 06:24PM
One more to go and my faith in the Packers organization will be restored after almost 8 years.

I am almost shedding years of joy here.

"And Tim Tebow just proved he's for real"

It's not MM's fault
Re: TT out as GM...
January 01, 2018 07:02PM
He is stepping down as GM but he hasn't stepped down from Executive VP...

He is transitioning (Whatever that means) to a new role.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 07:07PM by Fox_NFLs_Green&Gold.
January 01, 2018 07:15PM
How many years straight did we make the playoffs until Rodgers got hurt this year?

Didn't we win a Super Bowl under him?

Should we have won at least one more? Yup. I don't blame the Seattle game or the Cardinals games on him, he had the roster in place to get us there. To me those losses are more on Capers.

He did the right thing with the Favre situation (no matter how butthurt that made you). He drafted a HOF QB to follow a HOF QB. Want to wager that you were whining and crying when Rodgers was selected? I'd put good money on that.

Seriously, Packer fans can be such spoiled babies. How many franchises have NEVER won a Super Bowl? How many franchises RARELY make the playoffs. SMFH. . .

Thank god he's staying on in some capacity. Guy has had some misses but knows talent.
January 01, 2018 07:22PM
I have Rogers rookie cards and was one of the first here complaining when Favre unretired.

Sorry fanboy....but this is a step up for the organization. Great day to be a Packer fan.

"And Tim Tebow just proved he's for real"

It's not MM's fault

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 07:26PM by 4Pack.
January 01, 2018 07:44PM
He was the right GM at the right time. But his tendency that has got us this far is now hurting the team. He rarely goes out and fills a hole with a quality FA. Those holes are exposed every year. Capers used to be able to cover some of it up but the several years he has made it worse. Cooks could have been retained for the same amount of money that they gave Bennett who made the club by sitting in the tub.
January 01, 2018 09:00PM
Fox_NFLs_Green&Gold
He was the right GM at the right time. But his tendency that has got us this far is now hurting the team. He rarely goes out and fills a hole with a quality FA. Those holes are exposed every year. Capers used to be able to cover some of it up but the several years he has made it worse. Cooks could have been retained for the same amount of money that they gave Bennett who made the club by sitting in the tub.

If read the news a few weeks ago you would have learned that Cook’s agent wanted more from the Packers than he signed for from the Raiders. His agent screwed it up.
January 02, 2018 08:03AM
I think TT has been fantastic. IMO he has rostered us into Championship contention at least a couple of years that our Defense let us down and I think those times were more D.C. letdowns. I believe you will see evidence of that with a new D.C. who will have our defense in the top half of the league next year with the personnel that we have now plus draft picks.

TT added Woodson and Peppers. Woodson gave us HOF caliber play. Peppers played great also. Cook played well and his agent blew it for him. There have been competitive additions as well. But as is easy to see it takes a full 53 Man roster anymore. If you have a big drop off after your starting lineup is assembled you are toast. There are injuries galore in the NFL and it's the teams with great QB play and high quality Depth over their full roster that ultimately win Championships. You simply cannot have quality death without Primarily emphasizing the draft. Kudos and thanks to Ted Thompson.

With that being said I fully believe that this is the time for someone else to take the GM reigns. Not because TT has not done well but a fresh set of highly motivated and skillful eyes and perspectives will only help. I believe the team will choose well and pass off the baton from one very successful GM to hopefully a great future GM.
January 04, 2018 09:38PM
Florida! So glad you are still around here!

I am with you in that I hold TT in a higher regard than many. There is truth in the fact that our franchise's success has been reliant on the arm of #12 more than all other reasons, but we could be pushed tight against the cap with a bleak outlook on the future and be no better off in the win column too. I think his work in the draft has gone a long ways in maintaining our overall success while also keeping from mortgaging the future.

That being said, I think the difference between Ted's approach and, say, the Patriots is Ted's lack of willingness to sign an older relatively inexpensive veteran to either compete or provide depth. I'm not talking about the bigger splash of Peppers or Woodson, I mean taking a flyer on a James Harrison type of guy. He gives you nothing for your long term future but gives you an edge NOW and instantly gives your depth a boost. This may have been the first year we saw a little bit of this in the signings of Evans, House, and Kendricks. Were they flashy signings that greatly impacted our season for the better? No, but how much worse would we have been without even those 3 (Evans especially)? The Patriots make a habit of making these types of signings every year and it does wonders for their overall depth. If you combine Ted's drafting with a few of those mid-tier free agents every year, I think it takes us to a whole new level.

And if Slank is still around here, I'm not talking about the Taco Wallace's of the world... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

January 02, 2018 01:04PM
Exactly. That's not to say it isn't time to shake things up a bit. TT's draft record his first five years was excellent - the last five, not so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 01:05PM by Packer Rob.
January 04, 2018 09:23PM
I don't know...the last 5 years brought Bakhtiari, Hyde, HaHa, Davante, Linsley, Randall, Montgomery, Ryan, Ripkowski, Clark, and Martinez. This year I liked what I saw from King, Josh Jones, and the rookie RBs. Obviously the jury is still out but I don't know that I would frown upon his more recent 5 years of draft picks.

Now, the couple years before that? I'm with you 100%!

January 05, 2018 09:56AM
Razpod
I don't know...the last 5 years brought Bakhtiari, Hyde, HaHa, Davante, Linsley, Randall, Montgomery, Ryan, Ripkowski, Clark, and Martinez. This year I liked what I saw from King, Josh Jones, and the rookie RBs. Obviously the jury is still out but I don't know that I would frown upon his more recent 5 years of draft picks.

Now, the couple years before that? I'm with you 100%!

A good example of what makes sports forums so much fun or so frustrating. Pick your position, and you can probably defend it, using the same information. I'm not a talent evaluator, but, just for fun, and from what I've read on the active forums -

Bak - don't think there can be an argument about the quality, but...was it the draft pick or Campen's coaching (i.e., look at the level of player source he's been given, and what kind of OLine he's cranked out)? Flip side is Capers' input versus output.

Hyde - he's gone, what does that say, good or bad?

HaHa - had a very bad year. Will he bounce back ala Adams/Crosby or fade out, ala (brain fart here, already forgot his name) our fat RB?

Adams/Linsley - both very solid, both probably overpaid because the cupboard was otherwise pretty bare at those positions

Randall - solid rookie year, bad second, up-and-down recently - will he settle in and become a reliable CB?

Montgomery - a shiny new toy last year, on the shelf this year, next year might not even have a job

Rip - OK at probably the least important position on the O - many teams don't even carry a FB, so how hard would it be to replace him?

Ryan - may be wrong here (is it Frackell?) but there were a lot of really negative comments during the year

Clark/Martinez - look like two winners, but is because of what we've become used to on the D?

Don't need rebuttal, as I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll bet I'm not far off of what someone who's glad to see TT go would post.
January 01, 2018 08:52PM
Bring on Elliot Wolf pretty please. headbanger.gif:gopackers:

Canton Open Your Door For 64
January 02, 2018 12:05AM
This situation has been alluded to in JS since early in the current season- so I was not surprised! I do not think the lack of playoffs played into this equation at all just moved it up a few weeks
Pack88

Brent was the greatest choker of all Time!
January 02, 2018 08:27AM
Hopefully TT was already planning a reduced role. The last emergencies, Holmgren leaving, Wolf's sudden retirement, led to disaster.

Lest we forget, the Pack was a favorite or near favorite prior to the injury,. Even so, they were a punched ball (and wins over Min and Det) away from the playoffs.
January 02, 2018 01:07PM
I'm looking for Russ Ball, Brian Gutekunst and Eliot Wolf - in that order of preference
January 02, 2018 02:33PM
Should have locked in Dorsey when they had the chance.
January 02, 2018 04:00PM
From Murphy's press conference he said he and Thompson had been discussing this move for several months (can't find the exact quote). That makes it even more surprising that they didn't lock in Dorsey before he went to the Browns, or at least let him know he'd be considered. Of course, maybe they did and Dorsey declined.

Kyle
January 02, 2018 03:21PM
Why Ball? He's a dollars and cents guy, not a personnel man. I think if you're going to make a change, go with new blood. I like Eliot Wolf.
January 03, 2018 04:25AM
Brian Gutekunst sounds like he is out of the running for Packers GM and is looking elsewhere. I would assume that one of the others formally or informally is taking the role of interim GM.
January 02, 2018 11:47PM
Not crazy about Ball. Wolf should be the pick. The Browns proved that a money man cannot run the GM position successfully.

Just my 2 cents
January 03, 2018 06:37AM
Ball is just so much more than a money man. He has had a wide variety of jobs and excelled in all of them. AS MM might have said, it's about stacking success. Seriously, go trawl the internet to find out some more about this guy. He has an awesome rep in 1265.

I'll say a thing or two about Eliot Wolf. First, no-one really knows if he wil be a good GM, just because his father was. The best information we have on him (afaik) is that the Packers thought highly enough of him to keep him and promote him to where he is now.

Please also note that Murphy has explicitly stated that the next GM does not have to be a scout. Elway kind of broke the mold there. Lynch (49ers GM) had no scouting background at all. The NFL is changing. Oh, and to those that think Russ Ball is just a bean counter, he wants to move into a GM role and has been working on breaking down players to broaden his resume - he's been doing that for a while. Finally, as part of the negotiation process, Ball gets to know the strengths and weakness of any player an agent is negotiating for, he also knows the value of similar players round the league. This all comes up in contract negotiation, so evaluation is a part of what he does.

The Packers have had Gutekunst, Wolf and Ball for years. They would know massively more about each candidate than we ever can. If they choose Ball I'd be perfectly happy that they picked who they thought was the best choice. Same applies if they pick Wolf or Gutekunst. Bringing in the new always carries a risk, but when you have had that many years to oversee the work all the candidates have done, you would think they know how their guys stack up. I do think the change will be in-house (less upheaval that way) but the cost might be the loss of those that did not make GM, to other organisations. The exodus has already started with Alonzo Highsmith (who could have been a 4th candidate) who went to work with Dorsey in Cleveland.
January 03, 2018 07:57AM
Swizz
Ball is just so much more than a money man. He has had a wide variety of jobs and excelled in all of them. AS MM might have said, it's about stacking success. Seriously, go trawl the internet to find out some more about this guy. He has an awesome rep in 1265.

I'll say a thing or two about Eliot Wolf. First, no-one really knows if he wil be a good GM, just because his father was. The best information we have on him (afaik) is that the Packers thought highly enough of him to keep him and promote him to where he is now.

Please also note that Murphy has explicitly stated that the next GM does not have to be a scout. Elway kind of broke the mold there. Lynch (49ers GM) had no scouting background at all. The NFL is changing. Oh, and to those that think Russ Ball is just a bean counter, he wants to move into a GM role and has been working on breaking down players to broaden his resume - he's been doing that for a while. Finally, as part of the negotiation process, Ball gets to know the strengths and weakness of any player an agent is negotiating for, he also knows the value of similar players round the league. This all comes up in contract negotiation, so evaluation is a part of what he does.

The Packers have had Gutekunst, Wolf and Ball for years. They would know massively more about each candidate than we ever can. If they choose Ball I'd be perfectly happy that they picked who they thought was the best choice. Same applies if they pick Wolf or Gutekunst. Bringing in the new always carries a risk, but when you have had that many years to oversee the work all the candidates have done, you would think they know how their guys stack up. I do think the change will be in-house (less upheaval that way) but the cost might be the loss of those that did not make GM, to other organisations. The exodus has already started with Alonzo Highsmith (who could have been a 4th candidate) who went to work with Dorsey in Cleveland.

I have heard that Gutekunst is out of the running and is interviewing for GM positions elsewhere.
January 03, 2018 09:12AM
HI. New to this website. Have been posting on 2 others but am always looking for intelligent and thoughtful Packer discussions.

IMO TT did a good job for many years. Some drafts were good some, not so good. Like a lot of people say, drafting is a c^@) shoot. However it seems like his early draft picks lately have been off the mark. Except for Clark. He did venture into free agency for the first time in a long time but would appear to have made a mistake when he didn't sign Cook and picked up Bennett. For me the jury is still out on Kendricks.

It will be interesting moving forward, to see who will be TT's successor. Usually I find the off season kinda boring. Not this year.:dance:
January 03, 2018 09:15AM
Welcome to the Board. Always excited to hear from new voices. Hope you post often. I agree this is already an action packed Off Season. Should be plenty more to come.
January 03, 2018 09:37AM
Welcome to the board!

I personally think that TT was the right pick at the time to fix the issues that the Packers have. Continuing to maintain the same hard line method has put the Packers in a different type of trouble. Don't get me wrong his method is similar to the Patriots, but different. The difference is that the Pats went out and got impact FA's when they fit something the TT had rarely done.
January 03, 2018 10:12AM
Welcome GBkrzygrl the more opinions posted on any subject,the better. This site like the PACKER organization is in a rebuilding mode. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do & stick around.

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” -Marcus Aurelius
January 04, 2018 08:20AM
I understand your thinking on Wolf and Gutekunst. I too am concerned about Wolf’s experience and his ability to run the day to day management process. In my opinion he seems great in player evaluation skills. But as I look at the whole nether of them are quite complete. So, what’s more important: drafting and player evaluation or contract negotiation? Maybe that’s why Murphy chose to do his due diligence just to make sure.

I’m just not feeling that the packers will end up being a better organization from a GM perspective when all the dust settles. MM is a totally different problem.

Just my 2 cents