Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bin laden is dead

Bin laden is dead
May 01, 2011 10:28PM
The best news I have heard since SB 45!
Re: Bin laden is dead
May 01, 2011 11:08PM
That is indeed wonderful news!!! I hope they place his body out in the open so the birds can pluck out his eyes. I hope the families who lost a loved one can see his bullet riddled body, at least a picture of it.
May 01, 2011 11:29PM
Plus it would be the only way to silence the millions who would undoubtedly refute such a statement as satanic, western propaganda
May 02, 2011 08:45AM
The best thing we can do is treat his body with more respect and dignity than he did any of the bodies of our dead.

He'll already be a martyr to Islamic extremists, we don't need to give them even more cannon fodder.
May 02, 2011 09:53AM
I was going to suggest feeding his body to wild hogs, but apparently they've already buried him at sea. Oh well, either way there's no tomb for the Koranimals to enshrine...
May 02, 2011 07:04PM
How does it feel to be a racist?
May 02, 2011 07:09PM
Racist? No, it has nothing to do with biology. It has everything to do with culture.
May 02, 2011 07:50PM
Well okay, let's play your game and pretend it isn't racism (which it is). It's still bigotry.
May 02, 2011 09:24PM
I believe that Western culture (at least so far as we're hanging onto it) and values are vastly superior to Islamic culture and values. If that makes me a bigot, so be it. I can live with it.
May 02, 2011 10:27PM
Disgusting.
May 03, 2011 02:18AM
Rob and I rarely agree on anything political but your term "racist" is ridiculous. Free societies must have the right to criticize and even ridicule all things, including religion. If I criticize the Pope and his supportors that does not make me racist or bigoted. The same standard should apply to Muslims and all other religions.
May 04, 2011 12:07AM
Oh what crap, Chraya. Calling an Arab or Muslim a "Koranimal" is the dictionary definition of racism. By implying animality (which would be inferiority) on everyone who believes in the koran (which he did, broad sweeping statement up there) he is making a bigoted statement.

The only way you can begin to argue that it isn't racism is because religion isn't a physical trait, but according to everyculture.com "Perhaps the most common Arab characteristic is adherence to the Islamic faith."

It's widely accepted that this type of comment is racist. It's a stupid comment furthermore, because only 15% of Muslims worldwide are Arabic, so most of Rob's "Koranimals" have nothing to do with the middle east. It's ignorant and stupid either way you cut it. So no, it's not ridiculous, it's literally accurate.

And yeah, free speech and stuff, feel completely at liberty to be a bigot, just don't deny it when someone calls you on it.
May 04, 2011 03:06AM
I read Rob's original statement to be directed at those supporters of Binladen who would want to make a shrine out of his grave. I don't consider it bigoted to refer to people who use religious and tribal superstitutons to justify mass murder (whether they be Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Budhist, Amimist or whatever - there are plenty of examples from non-Islamic faiths that don't get the same attention) as animals, although perhaps "caveman" would be a more accurate term.

I'll be sure to share your thoughts with one my Pakistani colleagues who routinely refers all religious extremists in his country as "animals". He's the same "race" (Pashtun) and is Muslim. He also had to leave Pakistan because the Government told him his life was in danger if he stayed. I'll be sure to tell him what a bigot he is.

Finally, what do you know about the Middle East? Have you ever lived there? Can you Speak Arabic? Have you ever sat in a mosque on a Friday and listened to the sermon? Have you ever attended an Islamic wedding or religious festival?
May 04, 2011 07:55PM
Terrorists are animals. Their MO is one of the most basic animal instinct, dominate by intimidation. I have no problem with calling them animals, nor would anyone. For this your coworker, nor anyone else, is a bigot

Using "Koranimals" lumps all of the rest of the believers in Islam in with them though. That's my point, that the vast majority of Muslims despise these guys too. Your coworker is evidence of this, man!

Finally, my experience with the Middle East is irrelevant to this conversation. Because, remember, only 15% of Muslims are Arabs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 08:02PM by Bristo.
May 04, 2011 03:30AM
Rob and I would probably define Western culture differently. I define Western culture in terms of Enlightenment ideals and participatory democracy as opposed to relgious and tribal superstition and clerical tyranny.

Ironically, the Enlightenment might never have happened had it not been for for the efforts of certain scholars from the Islamic world during the 9 through 12th century who developped an affinity for Plato, Aristotle and the Socratic method. There was a split in the Muslim world between those who believed in the value of philosophy, science and reason and those who thought that all the human race needed to know could be found within the contents of a single book and the rulings of a select number of clerics. Unfortunately, the wrong side won and around the 13th century the Islamic world closed the door to reason and learning and has bascially failed to make any meaningful contribution to the world ever since (a fact that honest Arab and Muslim intellectuals today openly acknowledge and lament).

So, yes, it is a no brainer as to which culture is superior.

P.S. The term "Western" is somewhat misleading since the the world's three major monotheistic religions have common roots.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 03:39AM by Chraya.
May 04, 2011 08:04PM
It's not misleading because it refers to two totally different and independent things.

Eastern civilizations and Abrahamic religions are closely bound, yes.

Western civilization, however, is far more disconnected from religion, and has its earliest roots in Greek philosophers like Plato and Socrates. From there secular renaissance elements like the Arts and Science take the forefront. The Catholic church is in there too, but mostly hampered these things which define Western civilization.
May 05, 2011 02:27AM
I agree with your definition of Western civilzation but I don't think the average person agrees. All too often, people speak of Western civilization in terms of Judeo-Christian values (which have much more in common with Islamic tradition than people realize - tribalism, superstition, human sacrifice, martyrdom, clerical tyranny, etc.). Western civilization is what it is in spite of religion's attempts to defeat it.
May 03, 2011 06:43AM
IMO, Middle eastern culture has a large percentage, majority I think, who are followers of Islam. Islam is a religion and not a race. Islam has followers from all races and countries. It's unfortunate that a minority are using it to justify being murderers and terrorists. Islam is not the only religion to have idiots as followers. Take a look at that idiot and his followers who protest outside the funerals of our fallen soldiers. Wouldn't take much for such misguided people to take it one step farther into murder and terror all under the guise of religion.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2011 06:52AM by Bubba.
May 03, 2011 10:55AM
I must be "racist" as well. Because I agree with you 100%. Our culture is superior in every way, if you don't think so, go live there.

""If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn't the same as the one I was wearing, I'd run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother! ""

Bo Jackson
May 03, 2011 11:02AM
Well, I do live "there". But, to paraphrase Bill the Cat, "I'm here for the dough".
May 02, 2011 12:09AM
May those left behind finally find peace. And I'm very glad now that TT didn't draft him in the 7th round. I was thinking for a while he could help with our OLB situation.
May 02, 2011 06:56AM
He had a tremendous wing span and height. Could have used some time in the gym to put muscle on that frame... But his true knock was that he disappears for long periods of time.

I am proud of who I am. To those who oppose, get used to it.
May 02, 2011 11:36AM
So I guess he won't be playing QB for the Vikes this year. Oh wait, I'm thinking of someone else!!!!!
May 02, 2011 01:07PM
Brucest
So I guess he won't be playing QB for the Vikes this year. Oh wait, I'm thinking of someone else!!!!!

Yeah, you're thinking of Bin Lawnden. It's a common mistake.