Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rodgers / Cancer Patient Rebuttal Thread

Rodgers / Cancer Patient Rebuttal Thread
January 16, 2011 08:48PM
I am sorry to hear what this woman is going through. However this is a major cheap shot by the media.

It was not the normal photo op like all the other players do for TV. Now the fact that the media is covering it, shows how scummy the media can be.

I have been to Green Bay many times. During Brett Favre's tenure in Green Bay, he did this all the time. Turned down autographs to people that were clearly terminally ill. He did the same with the average fan too. No one made a big deal out of it. Which begs the question, what is the motive behind the media now with Rodgers?

I am proud of who I am. To those who oppose, get used to it.
Furthermore (The Video)
January 16, 2011 08:53PM
The video also proved that Rodgers was not signing autographs. He was on his way somewhere. (BTW, she didn't try too hard to get his attention either).

Clearly a smear campaign by the media.

Re: Furthermore (The Video)
January 16, 2011 08:58PM
WHAT?! The media was obviously there doing a PR story expecting Rodgers to sign the woman's hat! Do you think they sat there with the cameras to play "gotcha" with Rodgers?

This from the person who thinks NFL referees are on the take every time they call a penalty on the Packers.
January 16, 2011 09:02PM
If it was set up by the Packers / NFL, it would have happened. The channel clearly wasnt working with the NFL / Packers.

This doesn't have anything to do with some of the crooked officiating crews.

January 16, 2011 09:05PM
Does AR require the NFL and Packers to give him some common decency and good sense?!

Does it have to be coordinated by the NFL and the Packers (though I strongly suspect that it was)? Rodgers can't stop to say hi and give an autograph to a woman who is obviously battling or recently survived breast cancer???
January 16, 2011 09:22PM
It isnt like she tried very hard to get his attention... Didnt even say anything (anything that could be heard).

January 16, 2011 09:38PM
Clearly he should now take a page from the Favre playbook and send her a signed photo of his hoo-hah.
January 16, 2011 09:06PM
slank04
WHAT?! The media was obviously there doing a PR story expecting Rodgers to sign the woman's hat! Do you think they sat there with the cameras to play "gotcha" with Rodgers?

This from the person who thinks NFL referees are on the take every time they call a penalty on the Packers.

Isn't playing gotchya what TMZ and Prez do all the time? The media comes up with Enterprise stories all the time...for ratings.
January 16, 2011 10:08PM
shadow
slank04

Isn't playing gotchya what TMZ and Prez do all the time? The media comes up with Enterprise stories all the time...for ratings.

WBAY isn't exactly TMZ.

So what's the conspiracy...WBAY just happened to be there when all of a sudden this Packers PR photo op happens and Rodgers is too cool for it? Uh...ok.
January 16, 2011 08:56PM
Yes Fox. Shoot the messenger. Who do you think gave her access to the Packers at their gate and who allowed the WBAY-TV camera to film it?
January 16, 2011 09:00PM
I wasnt talking about you, but obvious you think so highly of yourself that you thought I was.

If it was organized by the Packers / NFL PR, it would have happened. But clearly it wasn't. The WBAY tried something on their own, and the Packer hating media went with it and is trying to muddy up the water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 09:00PM by Fox_NFLs_GG.
January 16, 2011 09:06PM
(the messenger being the media, not me)
January 16, 2011 11:01PM
January 17, 2011 01:10AM
A very sweet story and Make A Wish is an incredible organization. Players do this stuff all the time for public relations. United Way, Make A Wish, Special Olympics. They visit community organizations, build parks, etc. They chill with kids who suffer from all sorts of illnesses. I think Rodgers supports a childrens cancer charity. They are in player PR mode. It's all quite public. Nothing wrong with that -- it brings cheer and happiness to plenty of folks. And Rodgers certainly wasn't obligated to give this cancer patient an autograph. Apparently it wasn't set up well in advance (though that didn't stop Matthews from being a kind gentleman) and yet a flight attendant was fully aware of what was up, so it wasn't exactly a surprise either.

I still don't see why the man couldn't stop for a moment and give this woman a four-second autograph, regardless. If this had been my mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, or wife, I would be livid instead of merely disgusted.
January 17, 2011 01:37AM
You're right, there are no other possibilities here...

1) It is possible that Rodgers did not know she was a cancer patient. Yes, she was wearing pink, but so do 25% of the women at Packer games and I don't think they all have cancer.
2) It is possible Rodgers did not know she wanted his autograph. She just held the hat close to her with no pen evident. That isn't really the way to ask for an autograph.
3) It is possible Rodgers was aware of the situation, but had been told she was there for Clay Matthews, as she had a Clay Matthews jersey, the attendant had specifically told Clay Matthews, etc. and did not want to steal his spotlight.

Had there been any previous indication he did this on purpose, but there isn't. In fact, there is clear evidence he supports people with cancer and has put both his time and money into the cause. I'm choosing to believe in looking at someone's history and waiting for more information and you're choosing to condemn someone over 3 seconds of video...

Even then, if this one cancer patient had the right to an autograph, then what prevents the other ~15 million cancer patients in the US from having that same right? Then from there, what about all of the other people with serious illnesses or the children affected by parents with these illnesses? My mother had cancer and my dad has diabetes, am I "due" an Aaron Rodgers autograph for that? There are proper ways for going about doing this, and there is no evidence those methods/procedures were followed.

Karl Zimmerman
Part-Owner of 13 Time World Champion Green Bay Packers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2011 01:40AM by KarlZimm.
January 17, 2011 11:44AM
Very good point, she did have a Matthews jersey not Rodgers. Is the media trying to cause a distraction? Something to hang on Rodgers?

John Brockington
January 17, 2011 11:47AM
Packers should counter the negativity from the media by putting her on the sidelines with the team and she can take me with her, ah to take care of her

John Brockington