Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone in here into Mixed Martial Arts?

Anyone in here into Mixed Martial Arts?
March 25, 2010 10:43PM
UFC? StrikeForce? etc? Just curious...I'm a MMA fan but football's first. Just wondering if anyone else is into this kind of stuff...
Re: Anyone in here into Mixed Martial Arts?
April 01, 2010 07:54AM
I find the fights to be ridiculously boring. And the reality-tv aspect of the programming is even worse. I really don't understand the attraction and there is a distrurbing, WWF-like cultural element to it as well (not saying the fights are fixed but the mentaility of the fighters and the fans is similar). So, no, I'm not a fan.
August 07, 2010 04:34PM
I'm a huge MMA fan. Been following various fighting promotions for a very long time.

I can agree somewhat with one or two of Chraya's characterizations (I found Strikeforce and Elite XC to be very WWE like) but I got the impression he's confusing the reality TV aspect of the TUF series (The Ulimate Fighter) with what MMA is.

I've got a few friends coming over for the UFC 117 PPV tonight - Silva vs Sonnen.
September 21, 2010 05:11AM
The other thing I don't like about it is once the guys get locked up on the floor there is very little action. Break the fighters up and force them to win the fight on their feet.
September 30, 2010 07:03AM
I can't necessarily disagree with that statement on some levels. At a glance it does appear that a significant portion of the fights seem to be of the lay'n'pray variety. But for every stall tactic fight or fighter, there are some really good back and forth technical grappling matches. It's from a few years ago, but I still think the fight between Nick Diaz and Karo Parisian was one of the best fights I've ever seen. It was like watching two snakes fight....

But I do get where you're coming from; to the layman, some of the grappling idiosyncracies may escape those not famailiar with the techniques.

However, I'm not a big fan of automatic standups - I can watch kickboxing, muy thai or boxing if I want to see a complete stand up fight. If the actions stalls, sure, stand'em up. But if they're working, however, inactive it may appear, then leave'em down. It's mixed martial arts and fighting on the ground is part of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 07:07AM by Da Flound.
October 08, 2010 11:53PM
Sometimes, that's the way guys win is to take them to the ground. As much as I'd love it on the feet, there are other guys who specialize on taking guys to the ground and working them there. Some defend really well, and others attack very well. It all depends on the situation and how one game plans for these type of things.

I used to really dislike MMA, but the sport soon grew on me and after watching a few fights, it's amazing to see how guys react to certain things. I've seen a lot of come from behind wins. You could be losing so badly in the match, but one mistake by your opponent, and bam, you win.

My personal favorite fighter is Fedor Emelianenko. I would love for him to fight in the UFC some day... This will probably never happen of course, due to Fedor's management team and the way UFC treats its fighters. Junior Dos Santos is the other guy I like watching. All in all, mma is still growing. Football is always #1 in my book, but when it's offseason, mma is always there. If you follow guys and really pay attention to certain things, you'll begin to understand what these guys go through and what their admirations are as to why they fight. Give it a chance and if you like it, great! If you don't, it's okay.
October 18, 2010 01:04PM
packemup
My personal favorite fighter is Fedor Emelianenko. I would love for him to fight in the UFC some day... This will probably never happen of course, due to Fedor's management team and the way UFC treats its fighters. Junior Dos Santos is the other guy I like watching.

Fedor won't fight in the UFC solely because of his management team, of which he is a part-owner (M-1 Global). The only reason why the deal hasn't been made is because M-1 won't sign unless they get to co-promote. And here's where the Fertittas and Dana White are doing the right thing, imo. They won't co-promote with M-1 and rightfully so. M-1 brings little promotional experience to the table. Certainly not on the level that the UFC puts on shows at any rate. On top of that, they've got no money or pockets behind them, either. In short, all they're offerring is Fedor and Fedor ain't enough for Zuffa to give away at least half the revenue on an event.

The football equivalent would be if the CFL, through some dumbass crazy turn of events, happened to field one of the best teams ever. Of all time possibly, regardless of the league played in. Scuttlebutt, over the course of years, has the team matched up on paper against every NFL team. But here's the kicker, the CFL won't sign unless the NFL gives them 50% of the revenues from the season.

You might be a great team, but you ain't getting that...
October 18, 2010 06:50PM
Right, I see your point...Nice example by the way. I mean, if I recall correctly, the UFC matched everything that Fedor & his management team wanted. All but one, co-promotion, like you said. I mean, Fedor would have the $$, he would have his Sambo tournaments, etc., all except co-promotion.

I also think Fedor would like fair treatment above all things and that probably came into play too. I mean, I can see it from his perspective as to how the UFC treats their fighters. Some pretty well, others not really. Tito explained it best one time when he and Dana were going back and forth. Tito sells fights, tickets, merchandise, etc. At the end of the day (after a win), he gets $500-$800 thousand. But he has to spread that around to his trainers, the gyms, the traveling, & other expenses. At the end of the day, he's left with $100-$200 thousand. That's not a lot considering his expenses. But I think the UFC obviously would have promoted & treated Fedor very nicely, considering his resume. It's too bad Fedor passed on it.

Oh well, enough about Fedor. It is what it is. You have any favorite fighters?
October 19, 2010 02:10AM
packemup
Right, I see your point...Nice example by the way. I mean, if I recall correctly, the UFC matched everything that Fedor & his management team wanted. All but one, co-promotion, like you said. I mean, Fedor would have the $$, he would have his Sambo tournaments, etc., all except co-promotion.

I also think Fedor would like fair treatment above all things and that probably came into play too. I mean, I can see it from his perspective as to how the UFC treats their fighters. Some pretty well, others not really. Tito explained it best one time when he and Dana were going back and forth. Tito sells fights, tickets, merchandise, etc. At the end of the day (after a win), he gets $500-$800 thousand. But he has to spread that around to his trainers, the gyms, the traveling, & other expenses. At the end of the day, he's left with $100-$200 thousand. That's not a lot considering his expenses. But I think the UFC obviously would have promoted & treated Fedor very nicely, considering his resume. It's too bad Fedor passed on it.

Oh well, enough about Fedor. It is what it is. You have any favorite fighters?

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Tito. He fought four times in 2006 and once a year since. At an average of 150,000 per fight, that's 1.2 million in 5 years. He ain't hungry. smiling smiley That doesn't count in his endorsements/sponsorships and his athletic line, Team Punishment. I think Tito's been doing okay for himself. I think we have to remember that these fighters aren't employees - they're contractors. I realize that their salaries, even with win bonuses, look paltry but I think a number of things make it better. Endorsements, for one. All those names on shorts, t-shirts and banners bring in revenue for the fighter. Plus locker room bonuses - the UFC routinely pays fighters money for putting on good fights - over and above fight/KO/submission of the night bonuses. And of course, if you're a big draw, like Tito, you get a cut of the PPV revenue, the real money.

MMA Junkie had an article a while back where an up and comer divulged how much he made for a fight. I may bit a bit off with the numbers, but it's not by much if I am, but his show money was a typical $8K. With his win, he took home another $8K. He had a good fight, but didn't win any of the named bonuses. He made $25K in sponsorships and Zuffa gave him a locker room bonus of $35K. At 3 fights a year, he was making just over $100k after expenses.

As for favourite fighters, I'm from Canada so GSP for sure. I like Fedor, too, although I wish he'd fight some current top level talent, Werdum notwithstanding. I like Spencer Fisher and Sam Stout. Damn, I could list a lot of fighters I like...not a big Penn fan. Great, insanely gifted fighter, without a doubt - million dollar talent, five cent head. I'm really interested in the upcoming Kampmann/Shields tilt. Everyone's high on Shields but Kampmann is a pretty good fighter. He's no slouch on the gorund and has really good stand-up. Shield's striking - well, pillow hands comes to mind. Guy couldn't knock out a 3rd grader. Good subs and ground control though, really good. Not a Lesnar fan, either. Another knucklehead. imo - I watch in the hopes he loses smiling smiley

Koscheck, well, he'd be easy enough to dislike even without the latest TUF attempts at being a pain. Maybe it's just me, but he comes off as not that sharp and pretty classless.
November 03, 2010 07:24PM
Brock lost! yesss!...I figured, considering he only takes his opponent down and pounds him. Cain deserved the win. My man Junior Dos Santos will be facing him. I have a feeling Dos Santos has this one. He's my guy, and a very underrated fighter. I can't count Cain out obviously, but I have Dos Santos on this one. WEC & UFC, together now. Wow...two new divisions, about time!