Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 2010 draft

My 2010 draft
March 29, 2010 04:20PM
Here is my attempt at a draft for the Packers. I have broken down the first round to see who might be available for the Packers at #23. After round one things are increasingly impossible to predict, so I have just picked guys that seem to be in about the right spot to be taken.

In round one I am expecting most of the following 10 gone (and if they are not gone they will have gone soon after). DTs Suh, McCoy, QBs Bradford, Clausen, OTs Okung, Williams, Bulaga, CB Haden, S Berry, DE Morgan.

After that I have (11 Denver ILB McClain),(12 Miami NT Dan Williams),(13 SanFran OL Mike Iupati),(14 Seattle RB C.J.Spiller),(15 NYG OT Anthony Davis),(16 Tennessee DE Jason Pierre-Paul),(17 SanFran DE/OLB Brandon Graham),(Pittsburgh CB/S Earl Thomas),(19 Atlanta WLB Sean Weatherspoon),(20 Houston DT/DE Jared Odrick),(21 Cincy WR Dez Bryant),(22 NewEngland WR Damian Williams).

That leaves the Packers to choose between 9 players (among others) OTs Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown, TE Jermaine Gresham, DT Brian Price, NT Terrence Cody, DE Carlos Dunlap, OLB Sergio Kindle, CB Kyle Wilson, S Taylor Mays.

In deciding who to pick from that bunch, I kicked out the higher risk guys first (out go Campbell, Dunlap, Mays). Then I removed the players in positions that don't fit or that we don't particularly need (out go Price, Gresham, Cody). That leaves three picks. CB Wilson, OT Brown, OLB Kindle.

All three might be a minor reach, which may be an incentive to explore a trade-down scenario. I think we would do well if we could trade down in the first and somehow contrive to end up with an extra high round two pick (even if we lose a third in the process). However, we would need a partner who is keen to trade up, and that may be impossible to find.

I liked Kindle the most of the three by a whisker, just ahead of Wilson, but Brown does match a position of the most serious need. The Packers probably have Brown higher on their board than many other teams, because he is a good fit, and on their board he may be no reach at all.

1) OT Charles Brown. Very athletic former TE. Has the feet for LT and is already an accomplished pass protector. Needs to add 10lbs of good weight and get stronger.

2)CB Dominique Franks. 6'0” 192. Confident, instinctive, baits QBs, fluid hips, can play zone, and press or off-man. Good on ST.

3)FS Major Wright. Athletic, good range and ball skills, physical, reads game quickly, closes fast and hits with a good pop. Something of a 'loner' personality, but no red flags.

4)RB Deji Karim 5'8”, 207, 4.37. My 'sleeper' pick. Can play RB at a good level, can catch out of the backfield and can be a viable option at KR.

After these, in the 5th round we have two picks. You could add an OLB like Brandon Sharpe or a talented guy recovering (from ACL) Wisconsin's O'Brien Schofield.

For the remaining picks in rounds 5 (compensatory),6 and 7, it will be developmental guys at almost any position except fullback, I'm betting one will be a QB or another punter.

Some of my picks are favoured by several other draftniks, (especially Brown and Schofield), but that is no disaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 04:22PM by Swizz.