Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Actually my hair is white

Predict the positions of the first four picks
February 14, 2009 05:02PM
Here is a chance to show how good you are at penetrating the labrynthine mind of Ted Thompson
What positions will the first four picks address ?
(Just to remind you, at the moment we have one pick in rounds one and two and two picks in round three).

My prediction (in order)
OT, OLB, NT, DE (Feb 14).

OT, NT, DE, CB (April 21)

You can mke more than one prediction, just put a date after each one and add later predictions by editing the same post later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2009 05:38PM by Swizz.
Re: Predict the positions of the first four picks
February 17, 2009 12:54PM
02/17/09

I'll list my positions and players...

1. Everette Brown OLB Florida State
2. Ron Brace NT Boston College
3a. Max Unger C Oregon
3b. Lawrence Sidbury Jr. OLB Richmond

4. Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State
5. Everette Pedescleaux DE Northern Iowa
6a. Augustus Parrish OG Kent State
6b. Sammie Lee Hill NT Stillman
7. Tony Fiammetta FB Syracuse

my guess is TT will add more picks for a total of 12-14 picks. Those picks could be CB, WR, S, MLB, TE in that order
February 17, 2009 02:04PM
I thought Max Unger was an interesting pick. not sure if he will be around still at round 3....but you never know how things will fall. He can play multiple positions too. Sidbury was another interesting one - I'm betting you saw him perform well at the Senior Bowl. Another very like him is Veikune, who is maybe just a little better and could well be available too. I had Sammie Lee Hill down as a fourth, but who really knows where guys will go.

Since you put names to your picks, I'll say that I envisaged my four being Oher (OT), Connor Barwin ( rush LB ), Terrence Taylor (NT), and either Dorrell Scott (6'4", 313, a possible 3-4 DE or a NT in time) or projected DE Ricky Jean-Francois (an LSU DT, who the Packers have apparently shown a good deal of interest in). I also like Hypolite in about the 6th (maybe 5th). He is another quick DT, who may thrive as a 3-4 end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 02:05PM by Swizz.
February 17, 2009 02:45PM
I also wasn't sure if Unger would be around in the 3rd. I usually figure based on a few things. How many linemen are taken per round and overall on average in previous drafts, how many lineman are taken ahead of him, teams with similar schemes/players.

Last year, 7 OT were taken in round one...and none in round 2, and one in round 3. Incidentially...only one Guard was taken in each round 1 and round 2. And a center was taken in round 2 but none in round 1 or 3.

This year, I can see maybe 5 OT's in round 1 and maybe 3 in round 2. 2, maybe 3 guards in round 2. And for sure one Center going in round 1 or 2 (alex mack).

Therefore, it's realistic to assume someone will slip down. I also like Trevor Canfield G-Cinncinnati, but I think he'll be for sure gone in round 2.

I also think a few other positions will help push them down. I think there will be a run of corners late in round one till late round 2...I can also see a run of WR's in round 2...maybe some LB's, RB's, DE's and DT's as well.
February 23, 2009 03:03PM
I can't tell you WHO they will be other than the first but here is my guess:

1st: NT BJ Raji
2nd: OT
3rd: OT
4th: OLB

Welcome to the RajMajal. Where oversized DT's sit on your face at no extra charge.
February 24, 2009 11:35AM
I like the idea of Raji at #9, but I'm not sure he'll be there. I know the Bengals coached the north squad at the senior bowl and he put on a show in practice. Even more so, the Bengals don't have much for scouts, they ask their coaching staff to do that. so that tells me that when they get an up close look at someone like that, they jump on him. But if he doesn't go to the bengals, I can see him dropping to GB, that is if Denver or SF don't jump ahead of us.

If they can get Raji..it would be nice to see him at the 5 spot on running downs next to Pickett, then move him in to nose on passing downs. Can you imagine Raji, Pickett and Jenkins on the line for stopping the run?
March 02, 2009 04:03PM
March 3rd - DT, OT, OLB, CB

BTW, isn't there a time limit on editing posts? I was thinking after a day or so the system removes your right to edit a given post...

Kyle
March 02, 2009 04:21PM
There might be a time limit, but if there is I've never hit it, and I am notorious for multiple editing of my posts.

Maybe I'll come back to this one a few days from now and see if I can still edit (though admin constraints may be a little different than yours).

ps. I just managed to edit my original post, which was over a fortnight old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 04:24PM by Swizz.
March 02, 2009 06:32PM
You're overlooking one fact, Swizz...

Admins can edit any post at any time, for good reason. Non-admins can only edit their posts for 30 minutes after it's originally posted.

Best way to go would be for them to just respond to their post...

Edit: Correction. You're not really overlooking it, as you did acknowledge the possibility! smiling smiley Oh well...

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 06:33PM by rtetzloff.
March 03, 2009 09:21AM
Yeah, I can't edit that post now...

No big deal, but I thought I would mention it...

Kyle
April 01, 2009 03:43PM
The biggest NEEDs right now are the following:

RT
LDE
NT
CB

I'd suspect he'd draft in that order (or close), but we'll have to see who's available...

My top guesses for the 9th pick:

Michael Oher
Tyson Jackson
BJ Raji
Vontae Davis

“After the cheers have died down and the stadium is empty, after the headlines have been written and after you are back in the quiet of your room and the championship ring has been placed on the dresser and all the pomp and fanfare has faded, the enduring things that are left are: the dedication to excellence, the dedication to victory, and the dedication to doing with our lives the very best we can to make the world a better place in which to live."

Vince Lombardi
April 01, 2009 04:40PM
My original post was mid Feb. Now at the start of April, I'd alter my picks slifghtly. Now I go for OT, NT, DE, OLB.

They would be OT Michael Oher, NT Ron Brace, DE Ricky Jean-Francois and rush LB David Veikune.

StLouisPackFan, of your top guesses at #9, I think Jackson doesn't rate being taken this high (over-valued in a lean year for big DEs). Raji has a fair chance of being gone, but is a good pick, Davis has the talent, but comes with an attitude, and Oher, well I don't think this is too high for him, which is why I picked him myself. It is interesting that each of your four possible #9 picks match what you think the four greatest needs are. Cornerback is perfectly reasonable in the first three rounds, I guess it will depend on who is around when we draft each pick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 04:45PM by Swizz.
April 21, 2009 04:25PM
I like your picks for the 9th. I think this is as "hard to pick" draft as I have seen in a long time. Maybe it has something to do with having no stand-outs. I think LT/RT are a high enough need that I can see TT grabbing Oher or Smith at 9 but I think he will go defense in the first. I have no problem with any of the D players you listed. I actually think Vontae Davis is great pick because few other CB's in draft can do what he does right now. I actually think he has higher upside than Tyson Jackson or BJ Raji.

In the second I see RT being solved with Meredeth (sp??) from S. Carl. would be a good pick.

This is going to be interesting.
April 22, 2009 09:01PM
1) DE Tyson Jackson
2) DT Ron Brace
3a)OLB Lawrence Sidbury
3b)OT T.J. Lang

If either Orkapo or Raji gets to us that changes things. The above is because I predict neither does.

If Raji is there:
1) Raji
2)OT Jamon Meredith
3a) OLB Lawrence Sidbury
3b) DE Dorrell Scott

If Orkapo is there:
1) OLB Orkapo
2) DT Ron Brace
3a)DE Chris Baker
3b) CB someone I never heard of.
April 23, 2009 04:51PM
That no.1 scenario is nice...I like every one of the selections in that scenario.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2009 04:51PM by Swizz.
April 29, 2009 02:52AM
Pyment, You got T.J.Lang in your first list (a guy i really like). You also got Raji and Meredith in your second. Overall, a very good batting average. Was it you on the phone talking to the war room all that time ? smiling bouncing smiley
May 01, 2009 12:17AM
For once I had the same guys on my shopping list as TT (Matthews was on the list, but I didn't see how we were going to get him - Trade up whazzat!?). I think I had the positions right on 3 of the top 4. (Who'd a thunk FB!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2009 12:37AM by Pyment.
Hey Swizz..look at my post
May 07, 2009 07:40AM
i got bj and merrideth and correctly picked DT,OLB OT and OT.....

Because when you say the bears still suck,.. you said it all !!!

Semper Fi
Go Pack Go
Re: Hey Swizz..look at my post
May 07, 2009 12:16PM
A last minute entry, and an OUTSTANDING prediction !!! Is your hair white by any chance ?
Actually my hair is white
May 08, 2009 07:44AM
problem is most of it is gone. My beard is pretty grey and is all there....

Because when you say the bears still suck,.. you said it all !!!

Semper Fi
Go Pack Go