Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Mock Draft ...

First Mock Draft ...
January 29, 2009 11:07AM
Okay ... here are my choices for this years draft. I am pretty confident about everything through the first 5 round ... not sure about anything else. I also based my decisions on a number of rankings and other mocks that are out there in the draft land pitting them against the Packers needs this coming season.

1 - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
2 - Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina ::: Trade down in the second round, get extra 4th
3a- Ricky Jean-Francois DE 5-tech LSU
3b- Coye Francies CB San Jose St
4a- Jonathan Casillas OLB43 Wisconsin - I think Casillas could do very well inthe NFL. WAtching him these past few years ... I have always been impressed
4b- Dorrel Scott NT Clemson
5 - David Veikune DE43 Hawaii -- This guy was great at the Senior bowl
6a- Bruce Johnson CB Miami - less certain about this guy
6b- Garrett Reynolds OT North Carolina - and him too.
7 - who knows ....
Re: First Mock Draft ...
January 29, 2009 05:05PM
I've seen the Malcolm Jenkins choice mentioned elsewhere. I think Kiper has us taking him. I'm sure Jenkins is going to be a fine player but I hope that's not the way we go. OL or Front 7 on Defense is what I hope for. There a many projected upper half of the first round guys there and I hope we get one of them. The Jenkins pick would seem to be all about Al Harris, and we already have Tramon Williams capable of replacing him. Not to mention taking Patrick Lee in the 2nd Round last year.

I'm more in the Jason Smith, B.J. Raji, Everette Brown for that pick. Save CB for one of the 3rd rounders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 05:06PM by FloridaPacker.
January 29, 2009 05:12PM
Pro Football Weekly has us taking Jenkins, too. Somehow, I doubt it. Given our need at DL and TT's lousy pick (Harrell) and trade (Williams), I could see him taking Orakpo or a tough backer.

BTW, I fully expect TT to trade into the middle/late first-round for a second pick either at OL or DL/LB depending on his first pick and free agency...
January 30, 2009 08:45PM
Do I understand you correctly, slank? You see TT trading picks to acquire an additional mid-low 1st round pick.

Thanks,Ted.
January 29, 2009 05:18PM
I don't think you can ever go wrong taking a blue chip caliber LT or CB(if Jenkins rates as one) but I would agree that there seems to be enough evenly rated players around 9 that we could take more of a need. In fact I am a little worried we may pass on a very good OT to take a front seven player that is more of a gamble. As bad as our defense is, the OL is desperately in need of a stud tackle. Get one and the rest of the line can be built with what we have and be fine IMO.
January 29, 2009 05:32PM
I think the scenario is going to play out based on who or even better 'if' we get via free agency...

I do agree that Harris is on his way out... age and cap figure has him likely cut or taking a pay cut.

Tramon can likely replace him in the new base defense, but that does leave us thin for nickel and dime packages.

Based on how Lee performed last year, I'd say it's still going to be a while before he can contribute.

If we get Dunta Robinson via Free Agency, no way we draft one in the first three rounds.

That being said, if Jenkins is there at #9 I'd think that would be a steal for a big time player.

I'm not sure which direction we're going to go, but D-line is the likeliest of all scenarios.

“After the cheers have died down and the stadium is empty, after the headlines have been written and after you are back in the quiet of your room and the championship ring has been placed on the dresser and all the pomp and fanfare has faded, the enduring things that are left are: the dedication to excellence, the dedication to victory, and the dedication to doing with our lives the very best we can to make the world a better place in which to live."

Vince Lombardi
January 29, 2009 05:55PM
I don't understand why so many posters have such faith that T.Williams is prepared to fill in for Harris's position. He's imo learning the position,but not a starter . If he is the starter next season I hope I am totally wrong in my assessment of his abilities. I can state without reservation I pray Bush is replaced before training camp starts.

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” -Marcus Aurelius
January 29, 2009 07:44PM
He filled in during Harris' injury and did incredible work while learning on the job. That bodes well. I'm not ready to dump Harris without a reasonable backup to the backup (Woodson's body is decaying too)...and it's clear that Bush and (very likely) Lee aren't answers. Projects, maybe, but neither showed much this season. We sure seem to have a lot of chaff on the roster.
February 12, 2009 11:58AM
I'm not ready to give up on Lee yet. Athletically I think he is gifted enough to play the position. I am hoping that he takes every opportunity to get better and learn the position.

Welcome to the RajMajal. Where oversized DT's sit on your face at no extra charge.
January 29, 2009 05:41PM
It all depends on how we do in free agency, we could easily fill certain needs with the talented FA's around (especially DL's and OL's) and then draft for depth or whatever need we don't immediately fill. A big name FA like Asomugha, Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs would make the draft a lot clearer. I'm all for one of the big offensive lineman/Orakpo/Brown/Jenkins at #9 - and at least one of them will definitely still be around.
I have my fingers crossed that Michael Johnson DE or possibly Alphonso Smith CB will still be around in the second round.
January 29, 2009 05:44PM
As long as TT doesn't take another Justin Harrell or 'who is that?' guy with the 9th pick, I like just about any of those names!

“After the cheers have died down and the stadium is empty, after the headlines have been written and after you are back in the quiet of your room and the championship ring has been placed on the dresser and all the pomp and fanfare has faded, the enduring things that are left are: the dedication to excellence, the dedication to victory, and the dedication to doing with our lives the very best we can to make the world a better place in which to live."

Vince Lombardi
February 12, 2009 12:50PM
I'm kind of wishy washy on the "Who is that" type of pick. Mainly because when we drafted Greg Jennings I said that. And I remember that there were a few other guys that I had hoped we would go for there. But I was proven wrong as now I think Jennings is our biggest threat.

As for the Harrell thing I felt differently. I live right outsied of Knoxville so I am a huge Vols fan. So I had seen Harrell play and was excited to see him transition. His stats in college matched up fairly well with other former Vols like John Henderson and Albert Haynesworth. So I have definitely been fairly quiet when people talk about him as a bust because I know why they picked him and I (like the team management) thought he was a great pick at the time.

Welcome to the RajMajal. Where oversized DT's sit on your face at no extra charge.
January 30, 2009 06:33AM
2centbob
Okay ... here are my choices for this years draft. I am pretty confident about everything through the first 5 round ... not sure about anything else. I also based my decisions on a number of rankings and other mocks that are out there in the draft land pitting them against the Packers needs this coming season.

1 - Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
2 - Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina ::: Trade down in the second round, get extra 4th
3a- Ricky Jean-Francois DE 5-tech LSU
3b- Coye Francies CB San Jose St
4a- Jonathan Casillas OLB43 Wisconsin - I think Casillas could do very well inthe NFL. WAtching him these past few years ... I have always been impressed
4b- Dorrel Scott NT Clemson
5 - David Veikune DE43 Hawaii -- This guy was great at the Senior bowl
6a- Bruce Johnson CB Miami - less certain about this guy
6b- Garrett Reynolds OT North Carolina - and him too.
7 - who knows ....

This has a lot of similarities to my own attempt at a mock. I also have Meredith down (but in the 3rd (though you may be correct in assuming he doesn't last until round three) and Veikune in the 4th (you have been watching the Senior Bowl; he helped himself there).

I can also understand the big DE pick of Ricky Jean-Francois pick after it was said they had him in to interview for a long time, I just about preferred Magee, and had had them both tagged as 4th rounders, but really who knows ?
January 30, 2009 09:35PM
If any of you guyz n galz are like me and love to sift through one mock draft after another... this is a good site to view them from:

[www.hailredskins.com]

Vince Lombardi
January 31, 2009 11:23AM
I use to use them too until found WalterFootball.com. They update their information more often.

[walterfootball.com]
April 15, 2009 05:36PM
Posted this on another thread by mistake:

I'd love it if the draft went this way:
1 -- NT; BJ Raji
2 -- OT; William Beaty
3a -- DE/OLB; Lawrence Sidbury Jr.
3b -- OT; Gerald Cadogan
4 -- NT; Terrence Taylor
5 -- DE/DT; Sammie Lee Hill
6a -- DE; Matt Shaughnessy
6b -- DT; Vance Walker
7 -- P; Kevin Huber

If Raji is gone at #9
1 -- OT; Andre Smith (Think he'll either be a Stud or a Dude, no in between)
2 -- NT; Ron Brace
3a -- DE/OLB; Lawrence Sidbury Jr.
3b -- OT; Gerald Cadogan
4 -- NT; Terrence Taylor
5 -- DE/DT; Sammie Lee Hill
6a -- DE; Matt Shaughnessy
6b -- DT; Vance Walker
7 -- P; Kevin Huber