Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Artificial Turf in Lambeau? Well Almost.

Artificial Turf in Lambeau? Well Almost.
January 10, 2007 02:05PM
"Crews began work today removing the playing surface at Lambeau Field as part of a multimillion dollar project to install a partly artificial turf called DD GrassMaster as well as new underground drainage and heating systems."

From [www.packersnews.com]

"Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing."
"If you can accept losing, you can't win."
Vince Lombardi

This World is Not My Home
RE: Artificial Turf in Lambeau? Well Almost.
January 10, 2007 03:39PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but didn't we have the same grass field for like 30 years (somewhere from the 60's to mid/early 90's)?

I remember there being a big deal about selling Lambeau Turf in little tiny boxes and I seem to remember that particular field was touted as being the same field/grass that the Ice Bowl was played on.

Since that replacement in the mid 90s (or whatever it was) it seems like we are constantly replacing the field. How can one field last for so many years and now fields only last for a year at most????
January 10, 2007 07:26PM
I'm not sure of the exact history of the field but I'm rather certain the grass between the hashmarks has been replaced numerous times before the new turf was layed down on the 90's. As for the seemingly decreasing lifespan of the field surface, I'd assume its due to one or more of several factors. An increased standard for the field condition. The field is increasingly recognised as having a direct influence on play and injury, and thus a team's W/L record. A better field can also be promoted to players as part of the "we have great facilities" pitch so teams are more likely to keep the field in top condition. Increased use of the field not only by the Packers (no Milwaukee games) and by other teams/events increases the workload on the field and lowers the time the grass can repair itself. Lastly, the field may not be worn out at all but the switch to this turf may be more benefitial/cost effective than replacing sections of the current field, sometimes several times in a year.
January 11, 2007 12:01PM
I read the article about how the practice field was using this new-high tech grass/turf blend, they said it was going to be transfered to Lambeau next season.

Before the last Thursday night Packer game, I had some time to walk around the Packer complex (a very awesome place, people and venue both) and saw the field with the new turf. I stuck my hand through the fence and felt the turf, which actually felt like grass. The field was in excellent shape too, although I had to look through the small gap in between the fence and the sidewalk.
January 11, 2007 07:04PM
That would have been an interesting sight, but only in Packer land! They might need to electrify that fence with all those grass molesters around!
January 12, 2007 01:02AM
I think its about the best of both worlds. You get the feel of grass because its basically 99% grass, but get increased durability that synthetic turf systems would offer.

As a side note, I read in the article linked below that they're also replacing the ring of concrete that encircles the field with a rubberized material. This still allows veicles to get around the field but minimizes the risk to the players, like what happened to Collins in the scrimmage game this past preseason. That sounds like a good idea too! :cool

Pretty decent article about Lambeau & Grassmaster
[www.athleticturf.net]
Even the Ice Bowl game was not played on
January 11, 2007 11:34AM
completely natural surface. I saw some special or TV documentary on the Ice Bowl. Apparently the Packers were concerned about the condition of the field when they had to plow snow off of it, even back in the 60's. Before the Ice Bowl season started, a new turf warming system was installed beneath the surface of Lambeau. The turf warming system worked the day before when it snowed, and melted the snow. But when it turned bitter cold, the turf warming system was overwhelmed and the melted snow turned to solid ice on the frozen ground, actually exacerbating the bad field condition. It truly was an Ice Bowl by game time, when it was -13 below without considering the wind chill. Geez.

Ecclesiastes 9:11-12.
It was a skating rink
January 11, 2007 04:58PM
and thank god it was just that! Dallas was a speed team and we were an old team. It certainly leveled the playing field literally and figuratively,changed the history of the Green Bay Packers, Vince Lombardi and the old NFL. Makes you wonder if the teams played on the field we're getting who would have won the game. Obviously one of the first things is the field would not have frozen! Hmmmmmmm....fate as a way of taking care of things. :cool

Thanks,Ted.
RE: Wind Chill 40 below!!!
January 11, 2007 07:10PM
I jumped up and left finger prints on my folks ceiling when Bart Starr snuck it over that day. We painted around that spot for years after that but finaly lost it when my Dad put up a staple-up ceiling.

Sorry, I just had to get that in! smiling smiley

[www.southendzone.com]
The Road to the Super Bowl
is a
"Daily Grind"

"The road to the Super Bowl IS a Daily Grind"