Advanced

Oh boy...here we go!!!!

Oh boy...here we go!!!!
December 28, 2004 04:55AM
[greenbaypressgazette.packersnews.com]

I can't wait to hear the ACLU chime in on this one! @-) :lol :lol :lol
RE: Oh boy...here we go!!!!
December 28, 2004 07:42AM
Just rediculous. . . I can't believe that they would have a problem with that. Reggie is less important than a government official?!?

StPaulStylee
Just wingnuts, ignore them
December 28, 2004 08:51AM
Notice they didn't make a peep when the flag was flown at half mast for Mark Hatley, Irv Favre, or Red Cochran. I'd say White's opinions have more to do with this than the fact that it's not officially sanctioned.

Personally, I think it's up to the individual.

Terry
RE: Just wingnuts, ignore them
December 28, 2004 10:02AM
I agree Terry - it would have been one thing if a public official decreed that all flags be flown at half-staff. This is simply an organization choosing to recognize and mourn the passing of an individual that meant a great deal to said organization.

The flag code is just that, a code - it's not law.

"It's time to separate the wheat from the chaff, the men from the boys, the awkwardly feminine from the possibly Canadian."
--Cotton McKnight
They caved!
December 30, 2004 09:24AM
Being Good Community Citizens....
December 30, 2004 11:11AM
The Packers are being responsive to the community, and in my mind it's the right thing to do. The Packers are so heavily tied to their small community, the last thing they want to do is alienate a sector of it. While I think these people were being a little touchy about it, they do have a point about Flag etiquette. It's something that has been bothering me for a long time. I can't count how many people on my block have flags out front that they leave out all the time without proper lighting. There are many "rules" that people are either unaware of or ignore all together.

Personally I think lowering the Packer flags to half staff is a good compromise.
Rules?
December 30, 2004 05:57PM
I think you mean 'conventions' which contain peer pressure. It's like standing up in court when the judge enters. There's no law about it, it's just court etiquette. And if the judge or police in the courtroom make an issue of it, they are exceeding the authority of their power and are, imo, committing a far worse offense.

Terry
There's a difference!
December 30, 2004 08:59PM
When you're sitting in the courtroom...the guy who says "All rise" is usually wearing a .357!

:-D
lol - for that guy, I'd fly any flag any which way he wanted
December 30, 2004 11:11PM
...and I'd fly it on a mast, a staff, a post, a clothesline, or whatever else he wanted me to fly it on.

I'd even smile about it for him.

Terry
I put it in quotes for a reason....
December 30, 2004 09:50PM
I realize it is not a law, it's at best (as someone else put it) a code of conduct when displaying the flag. It's a matter of showing respect to the flag, something that along with other forms of showing respect, has become lost in today's society.
Sorry, I overlooked the quotes - point taken...nm
December 30, 2004 11:09PM

Terry
Caved? I think it was a reasonable compromise
December 30, 2004 05:55PM
...considering that Harlan is responsible for representing many more people than himself. If it was his own house, I would have liked to see him stand his ground. Such things can hurt a person, but at least they hurt only themselves - directly at least.

I think finally the point is to show the respect and grief for those who have been monumentally important to the Packers. What difference if it's an American flag or a Packer flag - it's a very visible public statement in either case.

For Harlan to make an issue of the flag would be to do the same as those who made an issue of it in the first place. I think he was wise enough to remember what his objective is.

Terry