Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Two changes that are concerning..

Two changes that are concerning..
January 29, 2018 10:30AM
to me. I'm not happy with TT still having a say concerning the draft & the news that Murphy is going to have weekly meetings with the coaching staff . I wonder why these steps are even necessary.

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” -Marcus Aurelius
January 29, 2018 07:49PM
Mcpacker64
to me. I'm not happy with TT still having a say concerning the draft & the news that Murphy is going to have weekly meetings with the coaching staff . I wonder why these steps are even necessary.

I never heard that Murphy was meeting with the coach staff, just MM. I am boat sure why you wouldn’t want as much input as possible on the draft. Losing season top scouts means you need to keep some others. It’s the new guys call not TTS who is drafted.
January 29, 2018 10:56PM
On Jan 28th podcast by Tom Oates on the Wisconsin State Journal he states that Murphy will have McCarthy,Ball & the GM report to him once a week.

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” -Marcus Aurelius
January 30, 2018 07:20PM
Maybe I keep reading things wrong, but even as your quote from Oates states...Murphy is meeting weekly with McCarthy. I still don’t see where that means coaching staff. When you say coaching staff I assume you mean coordinators, position coaches and the QA guys. That’s not what I get from reading that he will meet with McCarthy once a week.
January 30, 2018 11:46PM
No that's not what i am stating i state that Murphy will have McCarthy,Ball & the GM report to him once a week..

January 31, 2018 08:21AM
Mcpacker64
No that's not what i am stating i state that Murphy will have McCarthy,Ball & the GM report to him once a week..

Ok. I will disregard your saying coaching staff in the original post means anything more than just McCarthy.

I still don’t have a problem with that. Murphy is the President of the organization. He has every right to meet with whom ever he wants. What none of us know is what will the contents of those meeting be. With his background of playing in the NFL and being a college Athletic Director I am not as worried about it being micromanaging meetings like I think you are. He is also putting himself on the firing line by being public with these changes. If he can’t foster communication between his top three leaders then he should be fired too.
January 31, 2018 09:05AM
I also think the fact that TT was here before Murphy and was so successful early on contributed to Murphy taking on more of a lateral support approach with TT who was older, more accomplished and more established within the Organization.

But now with BG and Ball being guys that were hired by and who have for several years worked under Murphy, them reporting to or meeting with him on a regular basis is likely something they are more comfortable with already. As for MM he met regularly with TT anyway and now with more coaching staff turnover this year than in the last almost decade combined, and TT no longer as GM it probably makes sense for Murphy to take on a more intimate role with MM.
January 31, 2018 11:18PM
Guess it bothers me cuz that was the way the PACKERS operated under Judge Parins & his board . They interfered in every phase of the team and the result was the 70's & 80's before major changes were made & the power was returned the the GM.

February 01, 2018 09:22AM
I understand the concern. I too share iyour concern to some degree.

The thing I cannot get over is the fact Murphy has inserted himself as the “real” GM here. Think about it. MM answers to him just like he did with GM TT. Russ Ball is still the business guy who answered to GM TT. And now Gutekunst is suppose to be the GM but thinking on it is the highest ranking “draft coordinator”. I don’t even think he could fire MM or Ball if he wanted to. Why is Gutekunst considered the GM when he doesn’t even posses hire and fire rights.

Murphy has clearly carved out a new position for himself as GM and is tricking others into believing is just a “communication” facilitator.

Yeah right.
February 01, 2018 04:42PM
TT was GM, Executive VP, and Director of Football Operations. That's a big job.

Murphy basically split the job in 2 parts. Russ Ball is Exec. VP and Director of Football Operations.

BG has final say over all personnel issues. Draft, FA, Trades, 90 man and 53 man rosters.

I just really don't see what the problem is. This is a Salary Cap, FA era. The 70s and 80s had neither of those characteristics.

Apples and Oranges.
February 01, 2018 05:12PM
I just hope your right in your observations.

February 03, 2018 12:13AM
Only answer is time will tell. Your concerns are very fair. I am glad Thompson is gone. I think Thompson gave too much power to Ball. Ball apparently is more conservative in his approach than TT without the experience. Murphy didn’t chose him as GM. He has though created quite an empire and a lot of power. I would have preferred Gute be given the title and responsibility. Then clearly he deserves the accountability. And who knows that infact all of this is not a structure, just a peacemaking attempt and taking pressure off of Gute?

If it is truly a committee I think it is a recipe for a disaster. You have to assume Gute and not Ball controls things like FA or he is goofy to accept this job. I continue to believe Ball is not as valuable as hyped. He is not a CPA, an MBA, businessman or all the other things people attribute. He is someone who shares the Thompson philosophy, a true student of Ted. Like Ted he is quite the enigma by design. Gute needs to check that. MM and his performance will check himself. It was obvious that Silos were referring to more than we know of communication issues. It is also obvious that MM didn’t want a repeat of TT with Ball. I also think he didn’t hold Wolf in that high regard. I like Gute, bright guy. Within 6-9 months it will get sorted, one way or another , but your concerns are fair. Murphy has put himself in a difficult position if there is any infighting. Clearly, without a doubt,MM is the bull or Alpha male in this...
February 06, 2018 03:19PM
"I continue to believe Ball is not as valuable as hyped. He is not a CPA, an MBA, businessman or all the other things people attribute. He is someone who shares the Thompson philosophy, a true student of Ted. Like Ted he is quite the enigma by design."

You can continue to believe that all you like. You are flying in the face of what the upper tiers of the packer org think..................and they know a thousand times more about Ball than you do.

Just because he isn't an ex scout doesn't mean he cannot be excellent at his job. Superior managers are invaluable, especially in the upper reaches of a franchise. Ball has excelled at everything he has put his hand to. He is hardworking, loyal, very talented, and above all an excellent people person. Even agents for the players who are on the opposite side of the table to him like him. I think your opinion on this is utterly wothless sarahfar, but then my opinion is worth little more than yours.
February 07, 2018 11:17PM
First, there is one upper management person above this perceived 3 headed monster, Mark Murphy. Basically I agree that all our thoughts are exactly that worthless. I have nothing against Ball, and yeah agents like him and he gets along with them , so did Brandt.

Second, Murphy is hardly infallible he is the one that allowed TT to withdraw, this is clear. He watched Silos created and now has this structure. If MM, Ball and all play nice and work together on its face it should work, if one doesn’t, it splinters. I am not the one who said the GM would be the decision maker and have full authority and less than a week later, retreated from that. It is is always cleaner to have clean chain of command. Like I say Murphy is hardly infallible.

That said I believe the whole meeting thing is likely to ease ruffled feathers and make everyone feel good. In my view, frankly I think Harlan had it right, the business of football is all about putting the right talent on the field. Talent evaluators do that, salary cap managers necesssarily follow the lead of the evaluation, not the opposite. Coaches ask, but don’t make that decision, Boards don’t either we have seen that too in the past. If indeed they all have input and equal say, equally decision making into free agency , drafts and trades, you would have a committee essentially as GM. I don’t think that is what is occurring but those raising the whole issue have a fair point in bringing it up. I get where you are coming from, where we part on this is how irreplaceable and integral Ball’s job is. Nothing against him we just disagree how valuable that position is. Ball and MM should be under the authority of the GM.