Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Early Season Review

Early Season Review
January 16, 2018 09:40PM
I've been looking, out of angst, at some of the Pack's early games. This was a SB team. I'm not so sure how it went wrong other than injuries AR and others. As to the others maybe it's conditioning. In other words TT had a SB team. Maybe he's failing, but I don't think it's clear we need a huge redirection. McCarthy may not remotely understand salary cap issues. After all he's not an economist like Belick.
Re: Early Season Review
January 18, 2018 08:56AM
I know I sure felt that way after watching the first month of the Season. When Rodgers went down, I pretty quickly let SB hopes go but really wanted to see how the team played as I figured it would reveal to me if my SB hopes had been legitimate or merely Fool's Gold.

I ended up somewhere in between. We saw we were still better than the very worst teams in the League but not much better. Take away the Vikings game and the Carolina game and we were 3-5, only beating 3 other losing teams. Similar result as last time Rodgers went down.

I think the Defensive changes were beyond necessary. We will be better on the Defensive side of the Ball next season. But we still need to add more talent to the Defensive side of the ball. I could see BG adding a starting caliber Defensive FA but I'm really focused on the Draft. DaRon Payne, Vita Vea, Roquan Smith, Josh Jackson, and Derwin James are all names I think can really help us. 2 DLs, a LB, a CB, and a S. All of them are projected to go 10-20 right now. I think any of them could really help us.
January 18, 2018 01:15PM
FloridaPacker

I could see BG adding a starting caliber Defensive FA but I'm really focused on the Draft. DaRon Payne, Vita Vea, Roquan Smith, Josh Jackson, and Derwin James are all names I think can really help us. 2 DLs, a LB, a CB, and a S. All of them are projected to go 10-20 right now. I think any of them could really help us.

Yup. You picked the four bodies I was looking at ,FP. I would be tickled pink if we landed one of the four,especially one of the big bodies like Payne or Vea. It's hard to call where exactly BG will place his money from a FA perspective, certainly it would have to be the D given the O with AR scores 25-30/gm. I would also like to see a veteran back up FA QB added to the roster. I found it especially galling that MM misjudged Hundleys readiness to start and that misjudgment only adds pressure on him to get the team turned around in the coming season. If they fail to make the playoffs with a healthy AR or go .500 or less MM"s days are numbered.

Thanks,Ted.
January 18, 2018 08:36PM
seven
FloridaPacker

I could see BG adding a starting caliber Defensive FA but I'm really focused on the Draft. DaRon Payne, Vita Vea, Roquan Smith, Josh Jackson, and Derwin James are all names I think can really help us. 2 DLs, a LB, a CB, and a S. All of them are projected to go 10-20 right now. I think any of them could really help us.

Yup. You picked the four bodies I was looking at ,FP. I would be tickled pink if we landed one of the four,especially one of the big bodies like Payne or Vea. It's hard to call where exactly BG will place his money from a FA perspective, certainly it would have to be the D given the O with AR scores 25-30/gm. I would also like to see a veteran back up FA QB added to the roster. I found it especially galling that MM misjudged Hundleys readiness to start and that misjudgment only adds pressure on him to get the team turned around in the coming season. If they fail to make the playoffs with a healthy AR or go .500 or less MM"s days are numbered.

You never know until the real bullets fly. We could all see it with AR when he stepped in for Favre in Dallas and nearly won the game. Hundley showed some moments but never progressed. I know people wanted the other guy in but at this point I think MM was right to stick with Hundley to see if there would be any development. Sadly there was more regression against good teams after Pittsburgh. But here is a shot the shows the main difference between AR and most NFL qbs...[m.packers.com]

Look at his eyes...they are downfield already.
January 21, 2018 11:47AM
seven
FloridaPacker

Hmm. of those 4, No to Payne or Vea. Packers have Clark and Daniels, they have M.Adams in the wings waiting to develop (and he is already a very powerful dude). They have Lowry and Dial for depth. They absolutely do NOT need another first round pick there with so many other positions having a greater need of a high pick. Sure a top pick would upgrade the unit, but only at the expense of a unit in greater need of improvement.

That leaves Roquan Smith and Joshua Jackson. I say no to Smith. Why ? Because they have Ryan and Martinez. They have J,.Jones (and maybe Burnett) who can slide in there on passing downs. Jones is a projection, but he has the size (big for a safety at 220lb), the speed (4.41 40 time) and a willingness both to hit and tackle. As with the D line, the Packers could improve the unit with a first round pick (which really should apply to ANY position group), but they need more help elsewhere. Jackson is at least a sensible choice, the Packers really could use a starter level CB, and a first rounder will have all the tools needed, whether it is Jackson or Ward (who may have been thought to be too short in TT's reign, but that may not worry Gutekunst).

There will almost certainly be a high-potential pass rusher available in round one, whether that is Davenport Okoronkwo, Labdry, Key, or someone else. That is priority 1, for me.

I'd also be ok with a WR as first pick. There are several very good WRs available. Probably no Julio Jones good, but good enough to re-invigorate a slow WR group and (hopefully) become the successor to Nelson.

So, my 'big 4' might be CB J.Jackson, WR Sutton and pass rushers Key or Davenport. However, I could easily have taken Washington or Ridley at WR, Landry or Okoronkwo at edge rusher, and Ward at CB, instead.
January 25, 2018 12:07PM
Swizz
seven
FloridaPacker

Hmm. of those 4, No to Payne or Vea. Packers have Clark and Daniels, they have M.Adams in the wings waiting to develop (and he is already a very powerful dude). They have Lowry and Dial for depth. They absolutely do NOT need another first round pick there with so many other positions having a greater need of a high pick. Sure a top pick would upgrade the unit, but only at the expense of a unit in greater need of improvement.

That leaves Roquan Smith and Joshua Jackson. I say no to Smith. Why ? Because they have Ryan and Martinez. They have J,.Jones (and maybe Burnett) who can slide in there on passing downs. Jones is a projection, but he has the size (big for a safety at 220lb), the speed (4.41 40 time) and a willingness both to hit and tackle. As with the D line, the Packers could improve the unit with a first round pick (which really should apply to ANY position group), but they need more help elsewhere. Jackson is at least a sensible choice, the Packers really could use a starter level CB, and a first rounder will have all the tools needed, whether it is Jackson or Ward (who may have been thought to be too short in TT's reign, but that may not worry Gutekunst).

There will almost certainly be a high-potential pass rusher available in round one, whether that is Davenport Okoronkwo, Labdry, Key, or someone else. That is priority 1, for me.

I'd also be ok with a WR as first pick. There are several very good WRs available. Probably no Julio Jones good, but good enough to re-invigorate a slow WR group and (hopefully) become the successor to Nelson.

So, my 'big 4' might be CB J.Jackson, WR Sutton and pass rushers Key or Davenport. However, I could easily have taken Washington or Ridley at WR, Landry or Okoronkwo at edge rusher, and Ward at CB, instead.

Hi Swizz,thought I'd would respond to your response to my response of FP's post. smileys with beer I'm a TT guy and TT always said talented BIG guys are hard to get with "talented" the key word here. Sure, there are a lot of BIGs out there,Lowry,Couples and Adams(Adams could fall into the Jerel Worthy category.....at least he appears headed in that direction),but give me the the Mike Daniels,Kenny Clarks,Vita Vea,DaRon Paynes of this world. They will change your defensive front in a major way and impact your total defense heartily in the pressure they can provide. The double teams and mismatches a dominant defensive front brings opens up stunt alleys for additional pressure from blitzing linebacks,corners and safeties. The Falcons,Eagles,Vikings and Seahawks all have dominant defensive fronts, three made the playoffs and one just missed. Switching lines I also like Billy Price from Ohio State for my O line because he can play guard or center very competently. No Don Barclays here, please. Honestly, I'm not into drafting situational pass rushers in the first or second round as usually that's all they can do,Von Miller being an exception. Most of them are a liability in pass coverage which brings me to my next topic, our linebackers Ryan and Martinez both of whom are complete stiffs in pass coverage,Ryan embarrassingly so. Sure, they can run tackle, but that's it and they are part of the problem why our pass defense stinks. Roquan Smith is heady linebacker who can blitz,run tackle, and is excellent in pass coverage. Smith has shown an ability to stunt and get up field for some sackalingus. To close,I'll take a WR in the second round followed by a quality TE prospect although we currently have Michael Clark who is talented but very raw. Dalton Schultz,Stanford is my pick at TE probably third round.

Thanks,Ted.
January 21, 2018 02:08AM
Was the team that got spanked by Atlanta a SB team? We certainly did not have a SB defense.