Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Murphy Worriesome

Murphy Worriesome
January 10, 2018 09:29AM
McCarthy, the GM and financial guy are directly reporting to him and they will have a Monday meeting every week. This hearkens to the old days when Starr and Gregg reported to the executive committee. Does Murphy have dreams oi becoming a super GM ala Jerry Jones?
Re: Murphy Worriesome
January 10, 2018 09:51AM
When I learned of this I found it to be upsetting cuz the PACKERS to my knowledge weren't operating like this before the recent "shake up"

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” -Marcus Aurelius
January 10, 2018 10:15AM
It sounds like if it doesn't work out, McCarthy is gone after next year. The front office has remained stable (outside of Wolf). McCarthy is answering to a higher power. I see this more of that he will not be protected by a GM like Thompson.
January 10, 2018 10:44AM
Brucest
McCarthy, the GM and financial guy are directly reporting to him and they will have a Monday meeting every week. This hearkens to the old days when Starr and Gregg reported to the executive committee. Does Murphy have dreams oi becoming a super GM ala Jerry Jones?

why the worry, they are reporting only to Murphy not the whole committee. If anything this puts Murphy on the firing line as well. He has put himself in a position to be more responsible for the team performance on the field. If there truly were silos (i.e. bunkers where each side kept to themselves) then having meetings were the three parties meet with the Team President together should help resolve those issues.
January 10, 2018 12:46PM
It could help if it improves communication. The problem will arise if he can't help but intervene and micromanage, especially if come difficulties arise. The odds that he would know better than those in charge of the silos is small.
January 10, 2018 02:04PM
Brucest
It could help if it improves communication. The problem will arise if he can't help but intervene and micromanage, especially if come difficulties arise. The odds that he would know better than those in charge of the silos is small.

having a background as a college AD should help with that. I am sure he realized in that position that doesn't know all. even though this is only about football, as the President (defacto owner) he has many responsibilities with the NFL as well. I don't see that he will be micromanaging. I think this is more of a way to foster communication between all sides of the operation directly, his office is just the place where at first that will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those silos got built as people were jockeying for the GM post realizing that TT's years were nearing its end the last year or two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 02:06PM by jay.
January 11, 2018 10:03AM
Looks to me like the communication problem was Ted Thompson and that his penchant for secrecy extended to the rest of the Packer organization as well as the media. The situation was unhealthy and I'm glad that guy's not making the decisions anymore.
January 15, 2018 04:55PM
That is how I see it as well. I think Murphy is just looking to facilitate communication and make sure issues get worked out, with him to help serve as a moderator. I don't think he's looking to be making any of the decisions himself or inserting himself into it, but I guess we'll see.

Karl Zimmerman
Part-Owner of 13 Time World Champion Green Bay Packers
January 11, 2018 01:57AM
When Ron Wolf left, Harlan faced a dilemma. A new GM might not coexist with Sherman. The solution was to make Sherman GM, which was a horrible mistake. What Harlan should have done is hire a GM with full power to run the club with a one-time exception for Sherman. If the GM wanted to fire Sherman, it would require Harlan's approval.

Is that perhaps not essentially what Murphy is doing here?
January 11, 2018 07:35AM
Chraya
When Ron Wolf left, Harlan faced a dilemma. A new GM might not coexist with Sherman. The solution was to make Sherman GM, which was a horrible mistake. What Harlan should have done is hire a GM with full power to run the club with a one-time exception for Sherman. If the GM wanted to fire Sherman, it would require Harlan's approval.

Is that perhaps not essentially what Murphy is doing here?

I would agree. He also never said that this change was set in stone. This may also be a good approach for dealing with hurt feelings about being passed over for a job, ie Ball, if someone may have a feeling that they are now working for someone that they perceived to be “under” their position before. In some ways it’s like giving this a trial run so to speak to make sure their isn’t too much personality clash and hiding in offices to avoid someone.