Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mike Pettine is the guy

Mike Pettine is the guy
January 09, 2018 08:06PM
Adam Schefter reporting the Packers are hiring Mike Pettine as DC. Hasn't coached since he was the HC in Cleveland through the 2015 season. Most recently spent this season as a defensive consultant in Seattle.

Interesting...

Re: Mike Pettine is the guy
January 09, 2018 08:33PM
Razpod
Adam Schefter reporting the Packers are hiring Mike Pettine as DC. Hasn't coached since he was the HC in Cleveland through the 2015 season. Most recently spent this season as a defensive consultant in Seattle.

Interesting...

So that means none of the expert predictions of who the front runners for GM or DC were correct!!! What experts!!!

This is not a slight at anyone here on the wire. I mean the journalist experts.
January 09, 2018 09:05PM
No one slighted. Just posting what was being said.
January 09, 2018 09:14PM
This means that the defense is changing and the packers will need to bring in defensive linemen via FA or Draft.
January 09, 2018 09:21PM
Not necessarily? His last 5 seasons he spent as DC he was rubbing the 3-4. Also encouraging... each of those 5 seasons his defense was ranked in the top 10.

January 09, 2018 09:30PM
IDK, I think I remember all his defenses being a 4-3 or 5-2-4 hybrid. I could be wrong.
January 09, 2018 09:16PM
This kind-of surprising. I would have thought he would have at least interviewed Fangio and Bradley first. However, word has it that the Bears did not want to lose Fangio. The same cannot be said about Bradley. I do know that Jimmy Leonhard had a lot of positive things to say about Pettine.

Looking forward to learning more about him and his philosophy in the coming days.
January 10, 2018 03:40PM
There are multiple things I like about this hire:

1) Pettine has a proven track record as a DC. It is what ultimately earned him an HC opportunity.

2) I like the fact he had to experience Johnny Manziel. He knows what a self absorbed loose cannon looks like first hand. More importantly he likely has full appreciation for how having such a character on your roster can derail your team. Hopefully prevents him from endorsing shaky character guys.

3) I LOVE The fact he hasn't coached in two years. He's had time to reflect on what works and what doesn't. Not just schematically but also personnel wise. He should be fresh and energized. He's possibly refined his defensive philosophy and might bring a fresh dose of creativity and ingenuity.

4) Wade Phillips, Jim Schwartz, Todd Haley, Josh McDaniel, and even Capers in his early years with the Pack, are all good examples of Coordinators who were at their best after having been fired as HCs or even having left a HC post. Hopefully Pettine will be the same. Second chance guys have more appreciation for the opportunity I believe. More likely to have cleaned up their shortcomings and possibly even turned them into strengths.

5) He come from outside of the organization. I just think that's a big advantage for the coach and for our team.

IMO there is a whole lot to like in this hiring
January 10, 2018 07:11PM
It should be interesting how he pieces together his staff. Is there going to be a bunch of holdovers or is it going to be a tire fire.
January 10, 2018 08:37PM
I am wondering that too. Especially guys like Moss and Perry who saw themselves taking over. I would be fine with a clean sweep, personally.

January 10, 2018 08:31PM
All great points FP! The more I read about him the more I like the move too. I read something from when he was with the Jets and how his defenses utilize a "weak OLB" who moves around a lot but who's sole responsibility is to attack the QB. Can't help but think he will love scheming with Clay (if he can stay healthy).

My slight concern is that it sounds an awful lot like the Capers defense. Multiple fronts and packages designed to keep the offense guessing. Hopefully there are enough personal touches and better teaching too make his version more successful.

January 10, 2018 09:02PM
Razpod
All great points FP! The more I read about him the more I like the move too. I read something from when he was with the Jets and how his defenses utilize a "weak OLB" who moves around a lot but who's sole responsibility is to attack the QB. Can't help but think he will love scheming with Clay (if he can stay healthy).

My slight concern is that it sounds an awful lot like the Capers defense. Multiple fronts and packages designed to keep the offense guessing. Hopefully there are enough personal touches and better teaching too make his version more successful.

Offense and defense in the NFL is all about matchups. Hence the multiple personnel groups on both sides of the ball. This isn’t the 60s NFL or even the 80-90s NFL. It’s a multiple league now.
January 11, 2018 09:18PM
You can have defenses with multiple fronts and looks without being overly complex from a schematic standpoint. I think there was a combination of issues in Capers scheme. He had a tendency to go so far on the complex side of things that made it difficult to keep our players on the same page. On the flip side, our personnel was so subpar (especially after injuries piled up) that made it that much more difficult to execute those schemes.

There is an interesting read along these lines here

January 15, 2018 05:02PM
I like how Rex Ryan described the defense of him and Pettine:

Ryan rejected the idea that it’s too complicated for a young defense, which the Packers often field.

“That’s not true, not at all,” he said. “You’ve just got to be smart in a way that if you love football, then you’ll love playing in this defense. If not, you really shouldn’t be in the league. If you don’t want to play in this system, you don’t want to play in any system."

Rex Ryan might not be a great pick himself, but he definitely understands defenses, and he says Pettine could be a great one.

[www.espn.com]

Karl Zimmerman
Part-Owner of 13 Time World Champion Green Bay Packers
January 15, 2018 05:51PM
It is who is on the staff. You know that other teams will start picking apart the vikings staff. Thus making them weaker. Packers must get strong with the coaching staff. So far they have.