Advanced

The New GM is.... Brian Gutekunst

The New GM is.... Brian Gutekunst
January 07, 2018 04:32PM
[www.nfl.com]

Not that bad of a choice
Re: The New GM is.... Brian Gutekunst
January 07, 2018 04:52PM
What the heck happened to the forum today? Biggest news of the year and it goes down

I really like the pick. I'm glad they chose a guy with a scouting background. Looks like the Texans wanted him bad.
January 07, 2018 05:18PM
I like the hire especially if it means keeping Wolf and Ball also. These guys know our personnel. I'm one that thinks our poor defensive production has been more DC related than it has been GM related. I'll be most interested to see if Gutekunst goes outside the organization for the new DC. That's what I'm hoping for.
January 07, 2018 05:33PM
The DC is McCarthy's call, from what I understand. I think they're just waiting on Fangio to become available Tuesday. That would be a great hire.
January 07, 2018 05:46PM
Yep. I guess that's true. I just hope it doesn't happen in a MM vacuum. I would like to think that both men are on the same page so far as what each would like to see in the DC. But you are right. Ultimately that's MM's call.
January 07, 2018 05:49PM
I wonder what Wolf is going to do. I hope he stays.
January 07, 2018 06:53PM
Well if he does it isn't going to be for long.
January 07, 2018 07:01PM
I think it has already been decided for months that the GM was more likely to be internal. It keeps the flow going without a complete disruption. McCarthy bringing in Philbin is not going to be a disruption either, probably more efficient and more knowledgeable than Bennett.

The defense is more likely to be an outside choice but someone that has the same background and runs the same defense (but differently) as Capers.
January 08, 2018 06:24AM
Internal hire for GM, internal hire (essentially) for OC. I sure hope the DC is external, but I can't remember the last time, if ever, McCarthy brought in an outside coach to a major position.

Kyle
January 08, 2018 12:19PM
Dom Capers was one spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

January 08, 2018 12:26PM
D'oh. Yes. Worked out for a while, at least.

Kyle
January 08, 2018 04:46PM
I remember when he was first hired, everyone said that he was great at installing the 3/4 defense and letting someone else take over. I think the Superbowl bought him years beyond the point he should have been let go.
January 08, 2018 06:39PM
Sounds spot on. Steady decline from the Stuper Bowl.

Kyle
January 08, 2018 08:13PM
Steady 91 degree angle of a decline each year.
January 07, 2018 06:52PM
DB issue from the message that appeared. Either an upgrade or modification issue I would assume.
January 08, 2018 10:08AM
Server problem. Unfortunately, I can't keep an eye on it 24/7.

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster
January 08, 2018 04:44PM
Usually I got those on bad installs of mod. Thanks for the update on that.
January 08, 2018 07:04PM
Yeah, the database server crashed and the monitoring I have in place failed to alert me properly.

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster