There will be a new OC and QB coach now too

There will be a new OC and QB coach now too
January 03, 2018 06:04PM
Re: There will be a new OC and QB coach now too
January 03, 2018 07:12PM
They will need this to redesign the playbook
January 03, 2018 07:47PM
People tend to always view these type moves as being the result of perceived failure in the eyes of the one doing the firing. That's not always the case. Sometimes these coaches have done good jobs but someone like MM perceives they've gone as far as they can and that change is needed to propel the team forward.

The team is moving Bennett to another position on the coaching staff. He is not being fired. Van Pelt's contract was up. If you don't feel like he's the guy going forward no reason to give him a new contract. Gotta believe they will hire a new OC who is also the QB coach

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 08:01PM by FloridaPacker.
January 03, 2018 08:10PM
The thing is the packers offense has not changed in a long time. Teams are wise to this. Subtle changes made by an outside coordinator could throw off teams for a while.
January 03, 2018 08:24PM
Fox_NFLs_Green&Gold
The thing is the packers offense has not changed in a long time. Teams are wise to this. Subtle changes made by an outside coordinator could throw off teams for a while.

I am not sure. Unless the new OC and MM don’t let Rodgers change calls.
January 03, 2018 09:03PM
No change of different audibles and options from the play. Plus alterations to terminology which I am sure everyone has the current version (Which hasn't changed since 2011.)
January 04, 2018 07:43AM
I would love to see Philbin return to be our OC. I think he and MM together really had our offense clicking. MM can be a great play caller, but the overall game planning seems to have taken a hit in recent years. Having a strong offensive minded guy come in to help with it will be a big improvement over Bennett who was needing more tutelage from MM to take on the role. And while we're at it, why not bring back McAdoo? See if he will take the QB Coach role again unless he gets a better offer somewhere else. The way things went down in NY, he may want to hide under a rock for awhile. Especially somewhere he already feels comfortable.

January 04, 2018 02:45PM
As I stated in the other thread, I wouldn't mind Philbin coming back.

I think it's good that MM is looking at the coaching staff over all and think it is way past time. IMO that's how a HC stays current by looking at his staff and seeing what' working and what's not.

I've also been frustrated with some of MM's play calling. Hopefully he would be open to some tweaks in the game plans.

I did find it interesting that MM said in the article that MM would have a role in looking for a new GM. What does that mean?
January 04, 2018 08:56PM
I agree that it was overdue to make some changes. I think MM does a nice job of bringing in quality guys to surround him on his staff (or did early on) but as of late has not been successful working with younger up-and-coming coaches. I respect him more than Mike Sherman who surrounded himself more with friends and "yes men" but I don't see him as a developer of young coaches.

January 04, 2018 03:36PM
Razpod ! I haven't seen you post here in, well, forever !
January 04, 2018 04:16PM
Razpod,Great to see a post from you again. You've been missed.

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” -Marcus Aurelius
January 04, 2018 08:58PM
Glad to see you too McPacker! Glad I found my way back Dance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2018 08:59PM by Razpod.
January 04, 2018 08:56PM
Good to see you too Swizz! It has been a long time!

January 04, 2018 04:30PM
WRT both: I thought the same thing. The offense got stale. Maybe bringing them back would be a good thing.

WRT the defense: I am not convinced our internal candidates will make a difference. The only thing I saw where one of them (Whitt) help the team out is when they got after Randal. I just wish I had a better feel for their overall DC capabilities. That’s why I was note optimistic when folks where talking about Fangio as a posisible DC. That would be great if they got him. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact they only gave MM a one year extension. That was a screw up imo.

Just my 2cents
January 04, 2018 09:09PM
I'm not totally sold on Fangio but I will admit I don't know a whole lot about him. At first glance, I don't know that his defenses have really made a big enough impact to warrant excitement about bringing him in.

I agree 100% about not promoting from within. I've never understood the fascination with Winston Moss. To be honest I'm was shocked that Trgovac was shown the door. I would think he deserves a lot of credit for the growth of guys like Daniels and Clark. Not to mention being a former DC himself. Whit seems to really have the support from his guys, but that alone isn't enough to say he can take over the defense.

I just hope we stick with a 3-4 guy so we don't have to start from scratch personnel wise. Rodgers doesn't have time to waste on a complete defensive overhaul.

January 04, 2018 07:30PM
MM and Rodgers do trust him.