Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Packer Chatters is closing for good.

Packer Chatters is closing for good.
December 30, 2017 08:22PM
I wonder if the posters there would come here if given the opportunity. If anyone that has an active account on that site I wonder if they could post the link to us in this post.

[forum.packerchatters.com]
December 30, 2017 09:04PM
Both groups were together back on the rivals days.
December 31, 2017 11:06AM
What was the issue?
December 31, 2017 11:26AM
I recommended this site at PC but there were problems with new posters registering here.

At this time it looks like the favourite landing destination for PC posters is football's future.
December 31, 2017 11:50AM
I re registered without any issue since I lost my previous login info as Fox_NFLs_GG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2017 11:51AM by Fox_NFLs_Green&Gold.
January 01, 2018 11:27AM
Hey, I remember you! Headbanger

Canton Open Your Door For 64
January 01, 2018 02:19PM
Yep I am the Packer fan that volunteered as the Falcon's mod because the board was dead on the network just to see the back end. But that was the year Vick won the Superbowl too... My luck.

When we left I did recommend the Phorum software as Sneakers preferred the threaded style (But that style was basically DOA) and others recommended it too. But this is home.

I wish we could migrate to different software as people are having trouble registering.
January 01, 2018 09:21AM
Don't know if this was you, but a post early-on in the thread about shutting down contained - "http://www.packerwire.net/index.php is a proper forum site, it just has very little traffic. That would change big-time if all the posters here migrated there. I used to help moderate that site myself. It might need a new moderator or two if it becomes as busy as this site. Downside is the owner of the site hasn't posted there for years, though she keeps it running."

From my standpoint, couldn't happen to a better site. It's pretty obvious on any of the forums I frequent that I prefer the pessimist viewpoint, and one other site owner did ask me not to be such a downer during the glorious 2011 season, but PC, without a specific warning or request, summarily banned me one day - over what, specifically, I still don't know. All sites have cheerleaders and snipers, but it's the posters that take shots at each other for it, not the management. It would be interesting to see if this place picks up enough new blood to make it worth checking more than weekly.
January 01, 2018 03:42PM
Yes, that was me.
January 01, 2018 04:18PM
If anyone that has mod or contact with the current admin here, there is an issue that came up with people registering.
January 02, 2018 04:38AM
I’m here. Haven’t had a lot of time over the past couple years. I’ll investigate the registration issue, quick look seems to indicate it’s been going on awhile. I’ll try to get it fixed today...

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster
January 02, 2018 05:34AM
Thanks!
January 02, 2018 12:24PM
I believe I've fixed the registration issues. Any users that tried to register will need to reregister, but I think we should be good going forward.

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster
January 02, 2018 12:29PM
Thanks!
January 02, 2018 11:40PM
What was the issue? I assume you mean what prompted the split?

In the old days, there were a few posters who claimed to have inside information and/or be something other than just fans. This started a lot of arguments when someone would report inside information and get called out on it. For example, there was one guy who claimed Seattle was going to give us 2 first round draft picks for Matt Hasselback (inside info). He continued to pop up with wild rumors allegedly based on inside information and was routinely challenged.

There was a female poster who was a pretty good poster until she pretended to be a scout. The draft was her favorite topic and she knew one of the guys who published one of the draft guides. She may have done some work for the guide. She started pretending to be a scout and even claimed to have been offered a job by an NFL team but turned it down because "I bleed green & gold". In 2002, she hated the Javon Walker pick and published a post "I'm very disappointed in Mike Sherman" in which she argued that everything she knew as a "scout" told her this was a horrible pick. Arguments got heated and when challenged, she picked up her ball and left and lots of posters followed her. I don't know who owned Packer Chatters but I believe it was someone she knew or someone who was a fan of hers. In the early years, they promoted her as an "ex scout". I can't recall whether Packer Chatters had been created first and all the refugees migrated there or whether it was set up after the split.

I haven't visited Packer Chatters in at least 6 years, probably more, so I have no idea what the site has been like recently. In the early years, I use to lurk occasionally but was put off by too many people claiming to be experts of some sort. There was too much shameless self promotion. In a nutshell, it started out as a home for some fans with delusions of grandeur and it grew into something much larger with many ordinary fans joining. Why they would just shut down rather than selling to someone else is a mystery. The marketing that turned me off seems to have worked well in terms of attracting followers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 11:56PM by Chraya.
January 03, 2018 04:24PM
Chraya
What was the issue? I assume you mean what prompted the split?

In the old days, there were a few posters who claimed to have inside information and/or be something other than just fans. This started a lot of arguments when someone would report inside information and get called out on it. For example, there was one guy who claimed Seattle was going to give us 2 first round draft picks for Matt Hasselback (inside info). He continued to pop up with wild rumors allegedly based on inside information and was routinely challenged.

There was a female poster who was a pretty good poster until she pretended to be a scout. The draft was her favorite topic and she knew one of the guys who published one of the draft guides. She may have done some work for the guide. She started pretending to be a scout and even claimed to have been offered a job by an NFL team but turned it down because "I bleed green & gold". In 2002, she hated the Javon Walker pick and published a post "I'm very disappointed in Mike Sherman" in which she argued that everything she knew as a "scout" told her this was a horrible pick. Arguments got heated and when challenged, she picked up her ball and left and lots of posters followed her. I don't know who owned Packer Chatters but I believe it was someone she knew or someone who was a fan of hers. In the early years, they promoted her as an "ex scout". I can't recall whether Packer Chatters had been created first and all the refugees migrated there or whether it was set up after the split.

I haven't visited Packer Chatters in at least 6 years, probably more, so I have no idea what the site has been like recently. In the early years, I use to lurk occasionally but was put off by too many people claiming to be experts of some sort. There was too much shameless self promotion. In a nutshell, it started out as a home for some fans with delusions of grandeur and it grew into something much larger with many ordinary fans joining. Why they would just shut down rather than selling to someone else is a mystery. The marketing that turned me off seems to have worked well in terms of attracting followers.

That was the first packer website I ever posted on. I enjoyed it for a while, but to many arguments and people calling each other out, that turned me off. I like the forums where people don't get personal if they have a disagreement.
January 03, 2018 07:59PM
To give you brief back story, BTW anyone please correct me if I am wrong or has something to add.

Many moons ago this group and that group was under the same forum at Packer Report. There was some type of misunderstanding about who had control or something (from what I think I remember as I was a young teenager at the time) and some other stuff that lead to that group and that board. This group (led by Sneakers) had went with another forum that was a network of fans and other teams that was run by the person Quartermaster (Q), I became the Falcons admin as they needed help covering that forum, even though I was a Packer fan. All was good until some tech issues popped up. The packer wire was secured and this software was installed. Eventually Sneakers road off into the sunset (I would imagine) and rtetzloff took over and we have continued to this very day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 08:02PM by Fox_NFLs_Green&Gold.
January 04, 2018 07:38AM
Hi all! Glad to see this place is still alive and well! It's been a long time though I have lurked from time to time. Fun to see some familiar names on here from the old days.

Wasn't the Packers Chatters "scout" named Patty? For some reason that name comes to mind. I first joined on after the split from the Chatters crew but definitely remember all of the moves after that. I also recall Boris from TimesFour who was with us originally before starting off on his own. Has anyone heard from Sneakers since she left? I hope all is well with her too as I doubt The Wire would still be around if it weren't for her. Also many thanks to Ray for keeping this going since Sneakers left!

I think there are many reasons for why things have died off since the busy days. Obviously the end of the Favre era did a number on our fan base and left many at odds with each other (I pray that the Rodgers era doesn't end as bad for the fans). The advances of technology and social media have a huge impact! The message boards used to be the best ways to gather rumors and opinions back when you really had to dig for information around the internet. Nowadays you can find the opinions and inside info from a slug under a rock halfway around the world in a split second from its origination! Social media allows all of this to be shared among a vast list of friends/acquaintances and conversations to spark among like-minded friends. That said, I still miss the days of this being the one-stop-shop for talking and hearing about Packers football. It would be fun to see the base of this group grow and continue!

Fun walk down memory lane. Thanks Chraya and FoxGG! smileys with beer

January 04, 2018 08:05PM
Hi Raz,

Good to hear from you.

Yep Patty did reports from what she seen but noway did that make her a scout. We all can do the eye test, but that is not all when it comes to talent. That is why we are not paid to do it. But the eye test is a good indicator of potential. I do appreciate what she did.

Social media did put a damper on rumors and inside info. Because it was out before you even posted. Info now days transfers fast. But Social Media doesn't create that user bond and intelligent discussion that this forum does. Sure I do create my own stats / ratings off from the eye test, especially Hundley and his Stupidity Rating (It was tongue and cheek in regards to being a rating).

I do remember old posters like MVP and Daily Grind.

I don't know what happened with Sneakers besides that she left. But she did it the right way and allowed the forum to continue.
January 02, 2018 03:54AM
Why are they shutting down? Not my cup of tea so I don't go there but I thought they had a lot of traffic.
January 02, 2018 09:13AM
The owner gave the reason as "none of your business".
January 02, 2018 10:21AM
Appears they picked a bad time to shutdown. There have been more posts here in the last 24 hours than all season long.
January 02, 2018 11:00AM
I find it very strange that they are shutting down. 1. They are not allowing anyone to take over / buy it so that the members can continue. 2. They don't want the name used in any other forum... Very strange. Especially they took photos together with their banner, It was no small thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2018 11:02AM by Fox_NFLs_Green&Gold.