Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why it won't get better with Hundley...

Why it won't get better with Hundley...
October 22, 2017 08:05PM
Hundley has legs. He can scramble. He can run. He has good enough arm strength. He's got decent pocket awareness and he makes decent decisions. He can learn a playbook and study film and learn and be very coachable overall.

With all those things, he could be a legitimate NFL quarterback.

But there's one thing that Brett doesn't have, that he won't ever have, and because he doesn't and won't ever have it, we will struggle to even win a game with him at quarterback....

Brett Hundley cannot throw accurate passes beyond about 10 yards. And the coaches know it. That's why he isn't given the opportunities.

I've watched every snap in the last 3 preseasons...and Hundley's inaccuracy stands out.

And accuracy cannot be coached. He can't "learn" to throw the ball to the right spot. Either he is accurate or he isn't. And he isn't.

The longer we stick with Hundley, the more games we lose, and the more people like me will wish for Joe Callahan to get a shot.

Re: Why it won't get better with Hundley...
October 22, 2017 08:23PM
Yep. Said that the last two preseasons.
Now everyone can see. Exactly why GBP tried to trade him this spring.

Callahan will be starting by thanksgiving. And Brett will play himself out of the multi-million dollar contract that was on the radar.
October 22, 2017 09:46PM
For 2 years in a row Hundley didn't pass the eye test and clearly wasn't the best passer in those pre season games during those years. He might know the playbook like a coach but it doesn't make him a player.
October 23, 2017 07:17AM
I watched number 7 through the pre/regular seasons and few things have stood out as compared to Cam Newton who I've seen a lot of down here in Carolina. A poor sense of time in the pocket, his throwing motion is suspect as he has a tendency to guide the ball which contributes to his slow delivery and inaccuracy.

Cam is consistently inaccurate high because he just muscles the ball thinking zipping it will improve his accuracy(one year it was so bad the only guy he threw to was 6'5" TE Greg Olsen who went on to have a Pro Bowl year because of it)...Greg got wide open sitting down in zones coupled with the fact he was running button hooks, out patterns which Cam can hit because his ball runs out of steam by the time it gets there, and seam patterns which Greg was running under, but even then Cam would sometimes overthrow a wide open Olsen. Cam also has a tendency to guide the ball in tight situations. In fact, Cam's high throw inaccuracy is common knowledge here in town with both the Panther brain trust and the fans. The Panthers went out and got Olsen, have drafted big 6'5"+ WRs in Funchess and Benjamin as well as RB McCaffery who he dumps the ball off to instead of running. Cam has been taking a beating in the pocket holding the ball cognizant of the fact of his throwing issues last year and has 4 INTS in the last 2 games for a total of 10 for 7 games.

I see Hundley with some of the same issues although he doesn't overthrow like Cam, he is holding the ball to be sure of his throw, that only contributes to his getting sacked and when he does get it out he's late on his throw contributing to his 4 INTs in 2 games. It's hard to see Hundley's confidence growing as a passer given the issues which clearly existed in the preseason for everybody to see and that will lead to more sacks and INTs. But what the hey,you keep him because he was better than Hill/Callahan.winking smiley

Thanks,Ted.
October 26, 2017 10:39AM
I would have liked to have seen Taysom Hill retained. I was rather disappointed NO picked him up (I was convinced some team would). I do think Hundley's accuracy over distance might still be improved. No certainties, but sometimes getting the footwork right improves the touch. Still, with three years in the system, you'd think he would have sorted that if he could.
October 28, 2017 11:39PM
I graduated from BYU and so have watched them when I can over the years. Having seen Taysom's entire career I have to say be thankful that the Packers passed on him. He has outstanding run capability and does well with the 10 yard passing game and occasionally throws a deep ball but he was sooooooo inconsistent that you would be calling for his removal after just a few regular games. I also know that he would be hurt in short order as he was during his college days. The kid can't stay healthy.

I also think Hundly will play poorly this season. It will get real bad and they wil have to replace him after just a few games. In addition, I think they will let Hundly walk after this season. The only thing MM and Ted can do is pick another QB in the up coming 2018 draft.

Just my two cents
October 30, 2017 09:56AM
If you two guys are right, this is a big miscalculation on the part of MM and TT. How could they expect to be able to advantageously trade a guy who can't throw accurately? That was the apparent rationale for keeping him no. 2.
October 31, 2017 07:29AM
Remember seeing they are learning Hundley to see things like a coach. But I guess that means he has the training to be a coach not a QB.
November 01, 2017 02:08PM
Accuracy can't be coached? That is definitely the first I've heard that one. Would you say the same about a golfer? A throwing motion with accuracy is not an innate, natural behavior, it is a learned one. To me, it seems all the mechanics of being a quarterback, which leads to accuracy, can be learned.

Now, I'm not saying everyone can do it or will learn it. Here, if Hundley has been learning under McCarthy and Co for several years and still hasn't improved at all, that would show that it is possibly one of those cases.

Karl Zimmerman
Part-Owner of 13 Time World Champion Green Bay Packers
November 01, 2017 03:35PM
That fact that the Packers (reportedly) tried to sign Hoyer away from the Patriots last night is telling, in my opinion.

Kyle
November 02, 2017 07:25AM
Yes. They only kept Hundley because of their investment into him. They should have kept Tyson Hill.
November 02, 2017 10:27AM
No, they should have invested in some veteran offensive lineman to keep Rodgers off his back (and collarbone).

Kyle
November 03, 2017 08:49AM
Which OL screwed up to cause AR's injury?