Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: MM still getting pre-half time timeouts wrong

MM still getting pre-half time timeouts wrong
September 10, 2017 11:08PM
Over the years, MM has repeatedly mismanaged the clock before halftime, sometimes handing the opponent points. Yesterday was an egregious example. The timeout called with 43 seconds left can only be described as idiotic. The only way the Packers can get the ball back is if the next play ends with a stop and a clock stoppage. Sack the QB (yeah team) and the half is over. You need an incomplete pass. Even then, you are going to get the ball back with under 30 seconds and no timeouts. The odds of something bad happening are much bigger than the odds of something good happening.

I know I shouldn't complain after a big win but this is a habit of MM's that has thoroughly annoyed me over the years. And I will bet he won't learn from this mistake if he even realizes he made a mistake.
September 11, 2017 06:34AM
I heard in the post game press conference he was asked about it and defended it. Either we're all missing some genius plan, or he's an idiot. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Kyle
September 11, 2017 10:12AM
It's easy to fault him for it after Seattle managed to take advantage of it, but you never know if there is going to be a fumble or interception or a big sack, etc. There was nothing wrong with it. It just didn't work. That's football. The armchair Head Coaches are already out in full swing though. I'm sure with you guys making the calls we would have won by 50 points.

“I feel like I’ve done this long enough (that) I don’t rank them,” McCarthy replied when asked where the win ranked in his five-year tenure. “We’re going to have bigger wins than this in my time in Green Bay. You can trust me on that." --After beating the Jets who had the best record in the NFL. The Packers went on to win the Superbowl.
September 11, 2017 01:49PM
Are you serious? Stupid crap like that loses games against good teams. Even if they had a sack, there would have been no time left to do anything with it. They had no momentum at all. We were getting the ball in the second half kickoff. What makes you think we could have marched down the field in 20 seconds when they couldn't do it in the rest of the first half? We had given up 4 first half sacks. The chances were that the big sack would have happened against us.
September 11, 2017 04:02PM
Your version of things only addresses us possibly forcing a Punt. I'm saying we could have created a turnover and had the ball in scoring position. That exact thing happened early in the 3rd quarter when Daniels force a strip sack and Fackrell recovered the fumble. Had that happened here we wouldn't be having this conversation.

“I feel like I’ve done this long enough (that) I don’t rank them,” McCarthy replied when asked where the win ranked in his five-year tenure. “We’re going to have bigger wins than this in my time in Green Bay. You can trust me on that." --After beating the Jets who had the best record in the NFL. The Packers went on to win the Superbowl.
September 11, 2017 09:40PM
Q: What did you think when they kicked the game-tying FG?
Aaron Rodgers: "Maybe they left too much time on the clock?" --after the NFC Division Round game when the Cowboy kicked a FG with 35 seconds remaining.

IIRC, the Packer won that game by kicking another FG of their own.
September 14, 2017 02:03AM
It is not about second guessing. I cringe the moment the timeout is called. I have criticized MM repeatedly for similar clock management over the years, whether it hurts us or not. It is about playing percentages. A defense is more vulnerable at the end of a half when it is more tired. Moreover, the Packers have always been an offense dominated team in the MM era with a vulnerable defense. We should be happy if an opponent is willing to run the clock out at the end of the half. Finally, in this situation, the chances of getting the ball back were low and even if we did, time was going to be minimal. Odds of something bad happening far outweighed something good happening. It was a bad decision plain and simple.
September 15, 2017 07:12AM
Yup. Sequentially MOm's timeouts allowed Sea to reach a point in the game wherein they could take a risk (long pass) which even if the risk went bad, which was unlikely given it was to the sideline, TH without ROd wouldn't be able to do anything.
The odds related to extending the game, though long, strongly favored Sea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 07:14AM by Brucest.