Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What happens in event of 3 way tie?

What happens in event of 3 way tie?
December 21, 2014 11:45PM
If the Seahawks, Cowboys and Packers all win next week there will be a 3 way 12-4 tie. Seahwaks have the tiebreaker over the Packers, Cowboys have the tiebreaker over the Seahawks and Packers have the tiebreaker over the Cowboys. How does the 3 way tie play out? Could we end up as the no. 3 seed?
December 21, 2014 11:49PM
According to this article, Dallas will be the no. 3 seed no matter what. Is that true?

[q.usatoday.com]
December 22, 2014 12:52PM
The article does seem to imply it, but it is incorrect.

The Cowboys can be the number 1 seed if they win, we lose, and the Cardinals lose. They can also get a first round bye with a win and other losses.

Full scenarios are at:

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster
December 21, 2014 11:52PM
The 3 way tie thing doesn't come into play if the Pack wins next week. Pack would then be 12-4 and the Lions would be 11-5 so the Packers win the division and are in the playoffs as division leaders.
December 22, 2014 12:24AM
I think you may have misread the post. If the Pack, Seattle and Dallas all win next week, there will be a three way tie for the best record in the NFC. How do the seeds play out for the playoffs?
December 22, 2014 01:14AM
The Cowboys have lost 4 Conference games. We've lost 3. That's the tiebreaker if GB/DAL both finish 12-4.

December 21, 2014 11:57PM
No. My understanding is that in a 3 way tie head to head matchups only count if all 3 teams played each other. The Packers and Cowboys did not play each other, so the next set of rules (in this case) would be Conference record.

If Seattle wins they are #1.
If Packers win they are #2.
If Cowboys win they are #3.

If Seattle loses and Packers win, Packers are #1 regardless of what Dallas does.

“I feel like I’ve done this long enough (that) I don’t rank them,” McCarthy replied when asked where the win ranked in his five-year tenure. “We’re going to have bigger wins than this in my time in Green Bay. You can trust me on that." --After beating the Jets who had the best record in the NFL. The Packers went on to win the Superbowl.
December 22, 2014 11:08AM
You are correct sir.