Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Time Out at the end of the first half?

Time Out at the end of the first half?
October 15, 2012 01:36PM
What was going on with the TO's at the end of the half? MM pissed that the Texans called TO on forth down?
October 15, 2012 01:50PM
I thought that was weird too. After the timeout, I kept having visions of Houston throwing a bomb on the last play of the game and getting a touchdown....
October 16, 2012 12:29AM
I think MM may have been pissed at Rodgers. The only explanation for Rodgers behavior on that play is that he was confused and thought it was 3rd down. The Texans waited 20 seconds before calling timeout which suggests they were willing to let the clock run out, which should have been fine with GB. Rodgers looked like he was trying to get the team up to the line to run a play, which would have been very stupid on 4th and long.
October 16, 2012 11:03PM
My thought was that they were trying to get a free play by having too many men on the field or offsides. If he didn't think that would happen, they run the clock down as far as possible and then snap it. I'm not sure if it was planned or not, but I like the move. Could it have backfired? Sure. It kinda did, and it certainly could have been worse.

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster
October 17, 2012 02:02AM
That would make sense but I believe it was fourth and 7 or 8 so the 5 yard penalty would not have given us a first down. We should have been content to let the clock run out and happy with the fact that they were not calling time out. Even if I'm wrong about the distance and it was less than 5 yards, trying to snap the ball would have been too big of a risk.
October 17, 2012 08:08AM
nm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 08:10AM by jay.
October 17, 2012 01:18PM
jay
nm

Great post jay, One of your best!Approval

"The road to the Super Bowl IS a Daily Grind"
October 17, 2012 05:19PM
I am sorry jay,I spoke in haste.

I do think it was a stupid time out and hope this doesn't start any trend,

"The road to the Super Bowl IS a Daily Grind"
October 17, 2012 08:55PM
I think MM was trying to get Crosby a Free Kick FG attempt.

Houston took possession on their own 13 with about 15 seconds left. The idea was to stop the Texans on 3 straight rush attempts with quick Time Outs. Then as long as the Texans actually ended up punting, the Packers could Fair Catch the ball probably somewhere around our own 40-45 yard line. After any Fair Catch the Receiving team has the option of attempting a FG with no rush at all. Under those Circumstances there is no telling how far of a FG Crosby could potentially make especially with full run up allowed on the kick. The only difference in technique is that the ball is required to be drop kicked or held by a holder with the ball on the Ground.

But I think after the first time out and the Clock at 8 seconds, MM realize he simply didn't have enough time to execute the Strategy and let the Clock run down after the 2nd Down play. Here is Video of the last time the Strategy was used in 2008 by the Cardinals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 09:04PM by FloridaPacker.
October 18, 2012 12:22AM
We took a time out with 8 seconds left? I don't remember that but now in reading the OP that may have been what he was asking about. I was referring the the bizarre behaviour of Rodgers getting the guys line up to run a play on 4th and long forcing the Texans to call time out when they appeared willing to let the clock run out.
October 18, 2012 01:59AM
But see, I think they are connected. The Packers had to make the Texans take their time out so that the Packers would still have all 3 of theirs to work with once Houston had the ball. I think the Packers expected Houston to call time with 30 seconds to go. Therefore when they didn't the Packers ran up to the line threatening to run a play so the Texans would call time out.
October 18, 2012 01:00PM
I think you are right on the money. Lots of chess pieces moving...
October 18, 2012 08:17AM
FloridaPacker
I think MM was trying to get Crosby a Free Kick FG attempt.

Houston took possession on their own 13 with about 15 seconds left. The idea was to stop the Texans on 3 straight rush attempts with quick Time Outs. Then as long as the Texans actually ended up punting, the Packers could Fair Catch the ball probably somewhere around our own 40-45 yard line. After any Fair Catch the Receiving team has the option of attempting a FG with no rush at all. Under those Circumstances there is no telling how far of a FG Crosby could potentially make especially with full run up allowed on the kick. The only difference in technique is that the ball is required to be drop kicked or held by a holder with the ball on the Ground.

But I think after the first time out and the Clock at 8 seconds, MM realize he simply didn't have enough time to execute the Strategy and let the Clock run down after the 2nd Down play. Here is Video of the last time the Strategy was used in 2008 by the Cardinals.

didnt the packers do this against the lions a few years ago and crosby just missed? i think it was 2009 or 2010.
October 18, 2012 10:52AM
If he missed it, it must have been a critical kick. smiling smiley
October 19, 2012 02:30AM
Yep, they did it before in the last few years. It was a 60 some yarder and he missed it. I think he had enough leg though.
October 19, 2012 04:57PM
It was the last game of the year in 2008 against the Lions in their 0-16 season. It was a 69 yarder that just came up short.