Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Should Jennings have knocked the ball down?

Should Jennings have knocked the ball down?
September 25, 2012 09:46AM
I've heard Kareem Copeland and some NFL.com guys say Jennings should have knocked the ball down instead of trying to catch it. In high school I was taught that's what you do on a hail Mary pass. It happened one game on the last play of the first half. We were in a crowd but my teammate was closest to the ball. I yelled "knock it down", he did. Only problem is the ball bounced off one body and in to the arms of an opposing receiver. Fortunately, the guy was not in the end zone and we tackled him around the 5 yard line for no TD. Batting the ball down is not as easy as it may sound.
September 25, 2012 09:59AM
No, No, a thousand times No! I have heard this IMO bad strategy espoused for years. I have seen numerous times when knocking the Ball down has resulted in a Completion for the Offense. This is the first game in my life I have ever heard of Defender Catching the Ball as counting for a Completion.

The better Odds favors catching the Ball. It works every time you don't have Moe, Larry, and Curly Officiating the Game.
September 25, 2012 10:03AM
Just look at the last play of regulation in the Lions-Titans game.

Ray Tetzloff
The Packer Wire Administrator/Webmaster
September 25, 2012 11:10AM
There are multiple situations.

1) When you clearly have position to catch the ball, you catch it. The risk is greatly reduced of a "bad bounce."

2) When you are NOT in proper (or the best) position to catch the ball, you don't go for the catch, you just bat it down so no one else can catch it.

In this case, I think MD Jennings did the absolutely right thing. If he doesn't go strong for the ball and catch it, I think Golden Tate catches it. In the end, he did intercept the ball, he made the correct call/play. I have no idea how he would have predicted the referees would have been this clueless...

Karl Zimmerman
Part-Owner of 13 Time World Champion Green Bay Packers