Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Yes, the Sterger camp screwed up

Smart Offer
December 10, 2010 10:08AM
The young lady promses not to sue Favre if the NFL punishes him. Smart move. Removes the taint of gold digging and puts the onus on the NFL which doesn't want to punish Favre. After the NFL does a wrist slap she can rightfully say he really wasn't punished and go on to gold dig. And in the off chance he really gets punished she can renege and only be known as a gold digger which would have been the case anyway.
Re: Smart Offer
December 11, 2010 06:09AM
I don't think her perception as a gold digger is that high her camp's radar. I think this statement has another purpose in mind. Favre probably has 22 more days as a football player. If he finishes the season and retires, any chance of Favre being punished is gone. Possibly forever (if he comes back, it comes backs) I think Favre might finally be done and with the threat of ending his career under an official sanction from the NFL, he won't even consider changing his mind.

Her team is dangling a carrot in the hopes of forcing, to a degree, the NFL's hand.

I think they screwed up. If the rumor of Favre trying to pay her off is true, IF, I think she and her team thought they could hold out for more. The big cugdel she had was going to the NFL. Well, that ship has sailed and she got nothing - now I think they wants to exact what pound of flesh they can while getting documented finding of fault on Favre's part and if it improves her public image by doing so, all the better. Let's face it, hush money from Favre's camp is no longer an option. Depending on what finding the NFL comes up with, she'll probably sue regardless, if for no other reason than to get a settlement.

What's going against her case is that she held onto the messages and what not for so long without doing anything. That she laughed with friends about it - allegedly, of course, - and one friend has come on record saying that was the case, potentially, her harassment suit could be slightly damaged.
Yes, the Sterger camp screwed up
December 12, 2010 02:14AM
I had not heard the rumors about Favre offering to pay hush money but if they turned down cash from Favre, the Sterger camp really screwed up. Even if they did not, they have still messed things up. Sterger's Manager is running around making statements that will hurt her a lot in any lawsuit. Unless, the Sterger camp has already ruled out a lawsuit (which may indeed be the case) those statements are idiotic and Sterger's lawyer needs to shut the Manager up.

The stupidity of Sterger's Manager did not escape the attention of Favre's lawyer who is now orchastrating a public challenge "go ahead and sue, you have no case" campaign. That's the really smart move.

The "we won't sue if the NFL gives a strong punishment" line is an act of desperation by a team that has run out of options. Kind of ironic that the same people who waited so long to talk to the NFL are now complaining about the time it is taking to complete the investigation. Oops.

P.S. Sterger has one more card, which is to sell the story to the media. The reason her camp is so concerned about what the NFL does is that an NFL finding of wrongdoing by Favre will increase the marketing potential of her story. Of course, the story had a lot more marketing potential last September than it does now. Oops again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2010 02:21AM by Chraya.
December 28, 2010 05:09PM
No suit from Sterger as of this morning. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

Sterger faces key date, if lawsuit is looming
Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2010, 8:04 AM EST

PFT

We pointed out last week that we think the NFL has decided to delay its decision regarding the Brett Favre-Jenn Sterger investigation until after December 28, because December 28 is the two-year anniversary of the last text message sent by Favre to Sterger while both were employed by the New York Jets.....In New Jersey, as in most states, a two-year statute of limitations applies to workplace sexual harassment claims. Though Sterger could choose to pursue other theories that may have a later deadline, her strongest theory (assuming her allegations are true) is that she suffered sexual harassment from a coworker who subjected her to repeated, unwanted advances and propositions. Thus, if she’s going to file a potentially viable claim that focuses on her best claim, suit needs to be filed today if at all.

I think if she fails to file suit on sexual harassment, it's likely, although not conclusively, safe to assume that the conjecture from Deadspin was overblown.
December 28, 2010 09:25PM
Favre just has better lawyers...

""If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn't the same as the one I was wearing, I'd run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother! ""

Bo Jackson
December 29, 2010 04:41AM
He certainly does. However, her filing a workplace sexual harassment suit only has to do with her, the state of New Jersey and the evidence involved. Her lawyer is saying the calls from Favre ended in June of 2009, but that's a huge stretch for a workplace claim as neither were employed past December 28th of 2008.

They may be angling for something different, but honestly at this point, I can't see anything positive for the Sterger camp on a legal front.
December 29, 2010 06:07AM
My guess is that Sterger's lawyers determined a long time ago that their chances of winning a sexual harassment case in court are not great. If they believed that had a good case, they would have filed a suit by now. Maybe the statute of limitations has not yet expired but if litigation was in the cards they would not have run that risk. As it stands, they would face an uphill battle just getting into court.

I'm willing to cut Sterger's legal team (but not her Manager) some slack. If they determined that she did not have a good legal case (as I suspect they did) then their options were limited. The only leverage they had was the hope that Favre would pay hush money so Sterger would not talk to the NFL. But that initiative had to come from Favre. A threat to talk to the NFL if you don't pay us could constitute extortion which could get both lawyer and client in trouble. Thus, you had the lawyer making vague references to "exploring all possible remedies", which were really just invitations to the Favre camp to pay hush money in disguise. Once the Favre camp called that bluff, there was not much left that Sterger's lawyers could do. Thus, you see them begging the NFL to throw them a bone and punish Favre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 06:17AM by Chraya.
December 29, 2010 02:31PM
Chraya
My guess is that Sterger's lawyers determined a long time ago that their chances of winning a sexual harassment case in court are not great. If they believed that had a good case, they would have filed a suit by now. Maybe the statute of limitations has not yet expired but if litigation was in the cards they would not have run that risk.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it. It started to develop legs for me when the friend said that Sterger was a participant and not a victim. Coupled with the less than vigorous sabre rattling, I started to believe that Sterger had nothing and that the conjecture of sexual harassment was over-blown.

I'm willing to cut Sterger's legal team (but not her Manager) some slack. If they determined that she did not have a good legal case (as I suspect they did) then their options were limited. The only leverage they had was the hope that Favre would pay hush money so Sterger would not talk to the NFL. But that initiative had to come from Favre. A threat to talk to the NFL if you don't pay us could constitute extortion which could get both lawyer and client in trouble. Thus, you had the lawyer making vague references to "exploring all possible remedies", which were really just invitations to the Favre camp to pay hush money in disguise. Once the Favre camp called that bluff, there was not much left that Sterger's lawyers could do. Thus, you see them begging the NFL to throw them a bone and punish Favre.

Honestly, I don't think Sterger started out with any sort of plan (nor am I suggesting that you thought so either) to extort or leverage Favre. I think she probably spilled the beans to Daulerio (of DeadSpin) and really regrets talking to him. I mean, when Daulerio went public she wouldn't confirm anything or even participate in the hubbabaloo. I do think she listened to people that were more interested in cashing in after it hit and that's when the less than subtle overtures started to appear.

Now that the NFL has absolved Favre and fined him $50K for failing to co-operate, I daresay this ship has sailed.

“The forensic analysis could not establish that Favre sent the objectionable photographs to Sterger,”

“The review found no evidence to contradict the statements of both Favre and Sterger that they never met in person, nor was there anything to suggest that Sterger engaged in any inappropriate conduct.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 02:32PM by Da Flound.
December 29, 2010 07:56PM
On a cell phone, how on earth can the forensic team NOT figure out where those pictures came from? Can they not go back and look at the phone company's records? Is there no way to crack into the code of the image itself to establish where or when it was created? I work with postscript code on occasion, which isn't the same as what image messaging uses, but its probably similar, and I could figure out the basics of where and when it was created. Also, aren't phones tagged in some way for this purpose alone? I can't believe they could neither prove nor dis prove where her images came from. One thing is for sure, I bet Deanna could identify that prick!!

""If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn't the same as the one I was wearing, I'd run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother! ""

Bo Jackson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 07:57PM by BigBri.
January 01, 2011 09:04AM
Because the NFL is not the FBI. The police in a criminal investigation could get the phone records no problem. The NFL had to rely on Favre to turn over his phone records voluntarily, which he refused to do.
January 01, 2011 09:07AM
I think that is on the mark. Sterger halfway talked to Deadspin and never fully cooperated. She didn't speak to the NFL until after her TV show was cancelled. The idea of getting money out of Favre came into play late in the game. Too late, as it turns out.