Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If there was a college super bowl

If there was a college super bowl
November 26, 2010 02:25PM
What would the playoff format look like?
I know it is all about politics in college football, some major college teams may not be as good as they think and it could hurt them in recruiting. I for one am sick of the end of the year debate on who is no 1 whne multiple teams share the same records. I have season tickets for Iowa games so I feel I have a right to put my 2 cents in

John Brockington
Re: If there was a college super bowl
November 26, 2010 02:49PM
Easy. 16 team field. Seed the teams 1-16. Give seeds 1-8 a home field game. All 8 games played early december. Leaves 8 teams. Those 8 teams square off in 4 New Year's day games played at bowl site. Semi-finals played a week later at bowl sites. Championship game a week after that at another bowl site.

A variation would be an 8 team field beginning with the New Year's day portion highlighted above. The powers that be in college football should be shot for not having a tournament. A true crime.
November 26, 2010 05:02PM
Should the playoff format consist of conference winners or top 25 teams in the polls?

John Brockington
November 27, 2010 09:29AM
There should be a selection committee like in college basketball. Conference standings should be irrelevant. The goal should be to select the best 16 teams (or best 8 if it were an 8 team format). Of course, fear of rendering conference titles irrelevant is part of the reason the powers that be refuse to permit a proper playoff system.