Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh Boy, This Sexting Story Is Heating Up Again

Oh Boy, This Sexting Story Is Heating Up Again
October 08, 2010 10:58AM
[www.baltimoresun.com]

I heard the audio this morning (107.5 Green Bay). It's Favre alright. I heard about it about a month and a half ago, and now again. That was Favre talking, no doubt about it. The guys hosting the show did too. They also were wondering if ESPN, who kisses Favre's butt regularly, will report on this, or other national outlets as well. When I first heard this, I thought, nah, just a story. But now, there's way too much smoke for no fire, and the "pics" of Favre's so-called manhood are on Deadspin (the announcers said). Hmmmm . . .

I guess this is what you expect when someone becomes a viking.

Re: Oh Boy, This Sexting Story Is Heating Up Again
October 08, 2010 11:10AM
Hmmmm, I hate being right all of the time, where are you at DaFlound? LOL

""If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn't the same as the one I was wearing, I'd run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother! ""

Bo Jackson
October 08, 2010 10:32PM
It's sooo cute you think you get to decide when you're right. Don't worry, B, I'll let you know when you're right. (FYI, today ain't that day...) Like I said before it may all be proven true later, but for now, you still got nothing.

like I said a while back when I was catching so much heat for this, noone makes that stuff up, there is always a thred of truth.

I suggest you start with Fatty Arbuckle. Read a little about the media scandal and the actual prosecution over 3 separate criminal trials that destroyed his career and many credit with causing him to drink himself into an early grave. By the by, the charges against Arbuckle were found to be wholly unsupported and the final jury in acquitting Arbuckle also issued an apology, a first in American jurisprudence. "Acquittal is not enough for Roscoe Arbuckle. We feel that a great injustice has been done to him... there was not the slightest proof adduced to connect him in any way with the commission of a crime. He was manly throughout the case and told a straightforward story which we all believe. We wish him success and hope that the American people will take the judgement of fourteen men and women that Roscoe Arbuckle is entirely innocent and free from all blame." The entirety of the scandal can be laid at the feet of a person who made numerous and constantly changing statements to police and tried to extort money from Arbuckle's lawyers. Arbuckle was ostracized both personally and professionally, to the point of being banned from making films and all his previous movies/films removed from circulation. Turned out there wasn't a shred of evidence to support any of the charges. None.

What about Gary Condit? Everyone and their dog had him killing Chandra Levy. But it also turned out not to have a shred of truth to it.

Rather and the forged documents that incriminated Bush? Not a shred of truth to them. Complete fakes. Didn't stop Rather and 60 Minutes from presenting them as authentic despite not having checked them out.

Guess what, Bri? People do make stuff up or fail to do their homework and present fake information as legitimate. For lots of reasons, not all malicious in intent. Reputable news agencies take pains to avoid getting it wrong, but it does happen. Sites like Deadspin hardly ever do - they throw anything at the wall in the hopes it might stick. That you eqaute the integrity of CBS, ABC, FOX with that of Deadspin screams how skewed your perception of the media is. Bloggers like AJ from Deadspin are so unfamiliar with the notion of integrity, journalistic or otherwise, that it's hard to believe them when they say 'hello'.

I also think at one point you claimed that it was common sense that Favre was guilty of harassing Sterger. Einstein summed it up best; common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.

There isn't always a shred of truth to it. Sometimes they're flat out lies. While you're correct in stating the truth will most likely out itself, that moment in time hasn't arrived. Yet. To give credence to something simply because more people believe it is to be party to a fallacious bit of reasoning - argumentum ad numerum, closely related to the argumentum ad populum. It consists of asserting that the more people who support or believe a proposition, the more likely it is that that proposition is correct. Sadly, millions can be wrong and only one person correct.

Luckily though, Bri, you have another bit a logic to fall back on. Argumentum ad logicam, which argues that a proposition is false because it has been presented as the conclusion of a fallacious argument - a fallacy fallacy, if you will. How is that lucky, you ask? Fallacious arguments can arrive at true conclusions. In other words, a stopped clock can still be right twice a day. Doesn't make it reliable, but for two brief moments during the day that stopped clock shines forth with the clarity of truth and accuracy - a temporary beacon on your path to truth and knowledge.
December 06, 2010 07:34PM
I knew I would get a response from you, and I laughed all the way through it. Reminded me of the old days. My only point and I know you don't care to hear it, was that if you apply some common sense or "street smarts" if you will, you could tell that there was at least some merit to what was being said. It fit his rumored persona that he had early in his career when he spent alot of time partying with the gang in the city where I live. There were tons or rumors about him, some good and some not, and some were by reputable people and some were just rumor. The guy was a dog, and once a dog, always a dog... ESPECIALLY if you are a spoiled brat millionaire athlete who is used to having people drop to their knees when you arrive.

Another point I guess, I don't always use my gut to decide if there is truth to something. I am realistic. I know unless you're there you really don't know. Its just an opinion, but unless you are Brett or Sterger, you don't know 100% of what happened and someone at one point or another, even a judge, has to apply their "gut" a little bit. I just do it more quickly than most, and I kid you not, I am right more often than I am wrong. Another example would be that the government hasn't knocked down your door yet, or tapped your phone. I will give you a little hint on a couple of other things as well. McCarthy will be proven 100% right about the Commies running wild in the government, and in our lifetime, it will be evident that life is teeming in the universe. Within 10 years. Care to bet me?

""If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn't the same as the one I was wearing, I'd run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother! ""

Bo Jackson
December 08, 2010 09:43AM
BigBri
I knew I would get a response from you, and I laughed all the way through it.

Wow, that's some really craftiness, Bri. Posting on an internet forum and getting someone to respond on a topic they've already made many responses. Pure genius, I tell ya. You're probably the first guy to think of that....

BigBri
Reminded me of the old days. My only point and I know you don't care to hear it, was that if you apply some common sense or "street smarts" if you will, you could tell that there was at least some merit to what was being said.

Actually, your point was there is always truth to stories like this - I gave you a perfect example where there was no truth to the media charges in the cases of Fatty Arbuckle, George Bush and Gary Condit. That you can't recognize that it isn't always the case ain't my problem. What it means is your point (non-revised) fails on its face.

Edit; Here's your original point;
BigBri
like I said a while back when I was catching so much heat for this, noone makes that stuff up, there is always a thred of truth.

BigBri
It fit his rumored persona that he had early in his career when he spent alot of time partying with the gang in the city where I live. There were tons or rumors about him, some good and some not, and some were by reputable people and some were just rumor. The guy was a dog, and once a dog, always a dog... ESPECIALLY if you are a spoiled brat millionaire athlete who is used to having people drop to their knees when you arrive.

A screed that only serves as a prop for a failed point.

BigBri
Another point I guess, I don't always use my gut to decide if there is truth to something. I am realistic. I know unless you're there you really don't know. Its just an opinion, but unless you are Brett or Sterger, you don't know 100% of what happened and someone at one point or another, even a judge, has to apply their "gut" a little bit. I just do it more quickly than most, and I kid you not, I am right more often than I am wrong.

Thanks for hoisting yourself on your own pitard. By the by, realistic and realist, as meant by you, is a wholly subjective load of claptrap that only serves to re-inforce existing prejudices. It means nothing as a concept or as an empirical measure. It's simply a description that makes you (and others who use it) feel better about themselves - in and of itself, it proves and means nothing.

BigBri
Another example would be that the government hasn't knocked down your door yet, or tapped your phone.

They already monitor domestic calls and can do sneak and peeks without informing you. That's exactly what those ill thought and hastily passed laws allowed. That's not something that's up for debate. The law explicitly states it. That you think otherwise speaks to a comprehension issue. What's truly ironic is that you fear for communist control and yet under the past administration, the very tactics you ascribe to commies were enacted. And even more amusing, were carried on by the current adminstration. That you still think there's a chasm of difference between the two still makes me chuckle. I told you innumerable times that I wasn't a democrat or a republican and you consistently assumed my position existed as your antithesis along the extremely narrow axis of the duality of the American political landscape. Wrong again, boyo. Regardless, I don't wish to discuss politics on this forum any more than I just have. Especially with someone who doesn't have the intellectual honesty to recognize where their arguments fail miserably. Stick to football, Bri, your discussions on that topic make way more sense...

BigBri
I will give you a little hint on a couple of other things as well. McCarthy will be proven 100% right about the Commies running wild in the government, and in our lifetime, it will be evident that life is teeming in the universe. Within 10 years. Care to bet me?

Make up your mind - ten years or our lifetime? It's almost as if every sentence you write is a universe unto itself with no connection to the sentences preceding or following. Continuity, amigo.

Regardless, it's a sucker bet. The universe is already teeming with life. That you've assumed that I think otherwise is yet another example of a constipated pyschological projection complex. Argumentum ad ignoratium writ large. In other words, the abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 10:12AM by Da Flound.
December 08, 2010 12:40PM
You are such a dick, you must not have a life at all. LOL To spend that much time on an idiot such as myself....

I did say there was always a "thread" of truth but did not define how much a thread consisted of. So you're assuming what I meant and you of all people should know better. My stuff isn't that hard to read, seriously, don't be such a dickhead. You have the same problem you've always had, you're too smart to have a conversation with. I bet you don't have a ton of friends OR this little game you play in Blogs is a Jekyll/Hyde thing. Either way, it shows you are either a true a$$hole, or a nutless Pu$$y. Either way, I love that you spend so much time with me... gonna take the bet or not?

Oh, and by the way, Terry is 10X the poster you are, your crap is boring compared to his. Now watch out for those wire taps... oh, thats right, you're a Canuck. They don't worry about you pricks unless its a hockey game. So you have nothing to fear up dere!

Bo Jackson
December 08, 2010 05:10PM
BigBri
You are such a dick, you must not have a life at all. LOL To spend that much time on an idiot such as myself....

See, another assumption of your's that fails. What would take you hours to write takes mere minutes for me. A drop in the bucket for the entertainment it provides....

I did say there was always a "thread" of truth but did not define how much a thread consisted of.

You said always. I gave you three examples were there was no shred of evidence or thread of truth.

My stuff isn't that hard to read, seriously, don't be such a dickhead.

Oh, but it is - to watch you struggle to communicate on certain topics is so laughable it hurts. Why just this morning, I nearly broke a rib. By the by, your football posts are actually quite good. Nice to see savantism alive and well.

You have the same problem you've always had, you're too smart to have a conversation with.

Bri, you're looking at this backwards...

I bet you don't have a ton of friends OR this little game you play in Blogs is a Jekyll/Hyde thing.

And you wonder why you're broke...

Either way, it shows you are either a true a$$hole, or a nutless Pu$$y.

Are you flirting with me again, Big Bri?

Either way, I love that you spend so much time with me...

That'd be a yes...

gonna take the bet or not?

You clearly failed to understand my response. Ask someone smarter - it shouldn't be hard. Stop the first passerby - statistically, the odds are in your favor. If they turn out not to be smarter, buy a lottery ticket immediately - today is obviously your day for beating the odds.

Oh, and by the way, Terry is 10X the poster you are, your crap is boring compared to his.

And you would be able to differientiate in what way? smiling smiley

On a related note, I was chatting with Terry a few weeks back. He didn't mention you at all.

Now watch out for those wire taps... oh, thats right, you're a Canuck. They don't worry about you pricks unless its a hockey game. So you have nothing to fear up dere!

Wow, you must've depleted your entire arsenal of pithy putdowns with that level of mental exertion. I just have one question - how long did you have to nap afterwards?

Edit; I'm still laughing at you patting yourself on the back for elicting a reply from me on a subject I'd posted on several times. What made it especially hilarious was that you addressed me by name. A regular Machiavellian mastermind, you are...

I still loves ya, Bri. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 05:16PM by Da Flound.
December 08, 2010 05:31PM
On a serious note, Bri, I gotta let you know I bear absolutely no animus towards you in any way, shape or form. Quite the opposite, actually. I just like winding you up and you always seemed to play along with it. I've always admired that about you and when the day comes when I make it to Wisconsin to see a Packer game, you'd definitely be one of the folks I'd look up and have some wobbly pops with. (I'm laboring under the impression you live in Wis - so if I'm wrong, it'd be a shame you wouldn't be there)

On a personal FYI, while I have a day job, one of my passions is doing stand-up and taking the mick outta folks is what I do. On more than a few occasions a remark made on an internet forum makes it way on-stage, typically as heckler ammo. Remember that when I'm needling you...you're contributing to a cause.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 05:31PM by Da Flound.
December 08, 2010 10:45PM
No worries, I will never give up though. I don't mind the beatings I take, they're actually pretty funny. Yes I am from Wisconsin and anytime you're in the area, I'd be honored to buy you a beer. So tell me, any of my stuff ever make it up to the Microphone? I didn't think so, but that will be my new goal. I hope you don't do stand up like you post here, that would put people to sleep and confuse most of them to hell!! LOL Thanks for the kind words, seriously. It is never personal.

Bo Jackson
December 08, 2010 10:41PM
Yeah, it takes you literally minutes to copy /paste and type all of that crap. I honestly wonder if you've accomplished anything in life other than to grow a fat a$$ sitting in front of your computer. Your snatch is starting to smell, get up and take one would ya?smiling smiley Terry is a great guy, He si similar to you in your ability to articulate, but he isn't evil like you are. I'd love to know a little about your past. I bet there's is a reason for the brick sized chip on your shoulder. I'm gonna guess its physical (that's a gut feeling again...). As far as the Packer posting, it pains me when you get involved with any thread, I've actually nicknamed you the "thread killer" because soon after you post, it usually dies. Noone wants it to be that intellectual, its football for Christ sake! I noticed no comeback on the Canadian smack? I thought for sure that would get to you. Maybe it did and that is the secret, no snappy comeback = victory against THE DaFlound?? You are a really nice guy, I can't believe how much I like you. Its like we were brothers almost.

Bo Jackson
December 11, 2010 06:12AM
BigBri
Yeah, it takes you literally minutes to copy /paste and type all of that crap. I honestly wonder if you've accomplished anything in life other than to grow a fat a$$ sitting in front of your computer. Your snatch is starting to smell, get up and take one would ya?smiling smiley Terry is a great guy, He si similar to you in your ability to articulate, but he isn't evil like you are. I'd love to know a little about your past. I bet there's is a reason for the brick sized chip on your shoulder. I'm gonna guess its physical (that's a gut feeling again...). As far as the Packer posting, it pains me when you get involved with any thread, I've actually nicknamed you the "thread killer" because soon after you post, it usually dies. Noone wants it to be that intellectual, its football for Christ sake! I noticed no comeback on the Canadian smack? I thought for sure that would get to you. Maybe it did and that is the secret, no snappy comeback = victory against THE DaFlound?? You are a really nice guy, I can't believe how much I like you. Its like we were brothers almost.

Ya know the really funny part is that Terry is a great guy, but he's waaaaay more bitter than I am. Granted, I'm probably a bigger a-hole, but he's got me beat on bitter.

And I did give you a comeback on the Canuck stuff but in typical Bri fashion you missed it...
December 11, 2010 12:27PM
Had I known you got all soft on me in the other post (I read this one first and honestly, you lit me up pretty good) I wouldn't have even responded to this one. Terry is pretty bitter, I keep trying to talk him into coming back to the states and start over, but I think he's broke and stuck there. I've actually talked to him on the phone a couple times and he was surprisingly normal, I figured it would be like talking to a professor or something and he actually seemed like a normal person like me smiling smiley Anyway, keep posting on the Packer threads, I was only kidding about the "thread killer" moniker, I would tone it down a bit because I really believe most of us don't comprehend half of what you say without the aid of Google, and we're all too lazy to do that every time. Look me up when you get to a game, or honestly, if you ever want tickets for you and some friends for a specific game, let me know and I'll check the availability of my contacts.. I can usually get at least 2 and sometimes 4. I would gladly get you in contact with someone if I can.

Bo Jackson
December 11, 2010 09:05PM
BigBri
Had I known you got all soft on me in the other post (I read this one first and honestly, you lit me up pretty good) I wouldn't have even responded to this one. Terry is pretty bitter, I keep trying to talk him into coming back to the states and start over, but I think he's broke and stuck there. I've actually talked to him on the phone a couple times and he was surprisingly normal, I figured it would be like talking to a professor or something and he actually seemed like a normal person like me smiling smiley Anyway, keep posting on the Packer threads, I was only kidding about the "thread killer" moniker, I would tone it down a bit because I really believe most of us don't comprehend half of what you say without the aid of Google, and we're all too lazy to do that every time. Look me up when you get to a game, or honestly, if you ever want tickets for you and some friends for a specific game, let me know and I'll check the availability of my contacts.. I can usually get at least 2 and sometimes 4. I would gladly get you in contact with someone if I can.

Bri, I did want to make sure the air was clear between us. Way back when we used to post on the off topic, no matter how nastily we insulted each other, we made sure we weren't maliciously going after each other. When someone nailed the other with a good shot, it was acknowledged. Like you did above...it verily warms the cockles of my heart to hear praise from someone.

With a few years under the bridge, I figured a reminder might be in order. I always loved it when you gave me props for a good zinger. It was my affirmation that you were a good guy who could roll with a few punches. I'd also offer up an apology if I didn't explain this in the past. I've always liked posting with you and thoroughly enjoyed the exchanges.

And I love Terry to death. He's one of those rare characters you gotta keep in your life. One of a kind.

Holy crap, someone call Oprah. Apparently I'm man-strating.
December 11, 2010 09:30PM
Roll with a few punches, you were like going against Floyd Mayweather!!... It was funny but very frustrating at times I must admit. I was actually waiting for you to let me have it, especially with the "I am always right" comment. I was almost afraid to open the page that day I saw you finally responded. You are by far the best I have ever seen at doing that to people, so I assume a heckler has no chance at your show, I certainly wouldn't, my self esteem can't handle it smiling smiley. I can see them sitting there all confused after you tear into them. So yeah, I never take it personally, I look at you more like the top of the barometer, if i ever get one in on you, I feel I've won a triathlon or something. I am curious to know your background, was it just formulated online doing this type of thing, or did you actually go to school for like 20 years? Terry always reminded me of someone that looked and acted like George Carlin. Probably wealthy and bored. After talking with him on more of a personal level, turns out I was off slightly but not much. I actually chat with his sister now on occasion as well, she is nothing like him. Anyway, don't hold back on me (not that you would, I can imagine this "bonding" is killing you) I learn more than you probably think from you and Terry. He is a little more gentle than you of course but that's what makes reading your stuff fun.

"In typical Bri fashion you missed it"... LOL Classic!!

Bo Jackson
October 08, 2010 11:36AM
Not sure why ESPN (or any other credible outlet) would report it? There is no evidence that it is Favre and the source of the material is not willing to go on the record. It would be incredibly irresponsible of any credible news source to report this. It's a set of voice recordings and a few pictures. None of it can be confirmed.
October 08, 2010 12:48PM
There's enough there to ask a question. But the guys at ESPN no better than to ask any tough question to Favre because the consequence would be loss of access to information. A New York Post reporter did ask Brett and Brett ducked the question. I said when this story first broke that if there is nothing to it, why would Favre not vehemently deny it? Well, he failed to deny it again. There's a reason for that but no amount of evidence will ever convince you to think anything negative about your hero.
October 08, 2010 02:35PM
Yours is a rather unkind statement, isn't it? Your personal shot at me is pure garbage and sadly pathetic. Save it for somebody else.

If the New York Post is your standard for anything other than a muckracking tabloid devoted to creating celebrity buzz and promoting gossip, well, it says plenty about what you are willing to believe. And what sort of "tough question" should be asked of Favre about his personal life by ESPN, and how is it germane to ESPN -- the SPORTS network? He hasn't committed any crimes and any evidence is suspect at best. And why should he dignify the accusations by acknowledging them by denying them. Why get into the mud with pigs?

But let's entertain your conspiracy for a moment. Worst case scenario, he tried (and perhaps did) date/sleep with a woman other than his wife. *gasp* Happens rather often. And maybe he did something gross via text message. *gasp* again -- it isn't exactly uncommon these days. So what?! It's none of my business -- it's between him and his family IMO.

Why act like any of us know or, frankly, should care about what these guys do off the field. It's seriously naive to think we can know anything about them outside of the 60 minutes we get to see on Sunday/Monday. How many fans buy a Favre jersey because of their inside knowledge about his personal life?

This is just piling on by those who hate Favre and want to disparage him and his legacy with any smear they can find. I suspect that most here would jump to the defense of any current Packer subject to this petty and intrusive BS. In fact, something much worse was alleged earlier this year and most here DID jump to their defense (see prostitution party during the offseason -- beating women? buying women? that's better than overtures?).

THAT is the hypocrisy that makes me sick about all of this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 02:41PM by slank04.
October 08, 2010 04:40PM
With me, I hope it isn't true, but I believe it did happen. I hate how professional athletes are worshiped. I worshiped Favre when he was our QB. He seemed to be so different than all of the other athletes come and gone, and he was ours. In the end, turned out he probably isn't much different at all. And really, you're right, who cares. I think its nasty how the media tears people down. Our entire society can make you sick if you pay much attention to it. I guess anything that makes the Vikings lose this year is great, but it would be sad if this was how it ended for him. In the end, he will always be the greatest QB that ever lived to me.

Bo Jackson
October 08, 2010 09:22PM
yes Big Bri, I agree.

October 09, 2010 02:21AM
The New York post reporter is a Jets fine trying to stir up trouble. But that doesn't mean this isn't a legitimate question for other reporters. My point is that the media are afraid to ask Favre (or other star players) tough questions generally and that is the reason it took a Post guy with bad motive to ask it.

I personally, couldn't care less about this or any other potential sex scandal whether it involve athletes or politicians or whomever. I much prefer what used to be the approach of the media in France ignore this stuff altogether. But the American media does care about these things.

The NFL is now investigating. Among other things, this story goes potentially beyond a sex story (there doesn't appear to have been any sex) and into the realm of sexual harassment. I don't expect much from the investigation but the treatment Favre gets will make for an interesting contrast with the player who got his wrist slapped when a sex video of him (made before he was in the league) appeared on the Internet.

There is nothing personal in my post, just an observation. You always defend Favre no matter what and often with a lot of vitriol for those who dare to criticize him.

As for whether there is anything to this story, well we have a legendary babe hound, a smoking hot babe, audio tapes that sound a lot like said babe hound and the babe hound refusing to deny the story when given the opportunity. I believe the story is true mainly because of Favre's refusal to deny it and because I have heard so many crazy stories about Favre from his days in GB that make this story sound like very small potatoes
October 08, 2010 11:39PM
Chraya
There's enough there to ask a question. But the guys at ESPN no better than to ask any tough question to Favre because the consequence would be loss of access to information. A New York Post reporter did ask Brett and Brett ducked the question. I said when this story first broke that if there is nothing to it, why would Favre not vehemently deny it? Well, he failed to deny it again. There's a reason for that but no amount of evidence will ever convince you to think anything negative about your hero.

I'd disagree with your conclusion. Not that it's wrong, per se, but rather that it's deliberately limiting.

While it's possible that Favre failed to deny the reports on at least two ocasions, there's more than the single reason you're implying, i.e., guilt. It's also possible is that he's deliberately not addressing a subject to avoid giving it credence. It's also possible that Favre has suffered from erectile dysfunction so severe that he's incapable of performing since the birth of his youngest daughter and the thought of being emasculated publically is more frightening than being thought a lecherous philanderer. What else? Deanna could be bi and it was at her insistence that Brett contact Sterger for a threesome. My personal choice - Tarvaris Jackson, in a deliciously Machiavellian plot, with the aid of SoundForge and Photoshop, fabricated the whole thing in an effort to get the starting position.

Seriously, there are enough legitimate reasons beyond guilt (and including it) that can explain his actions. The interpretation that it could only be a guilty conscience and therefore indicative of guilt seems a bit premature.
October 09, 2010 06:35AM
Hmmm. Many plausible reasons for denial. Like fear of other women coming out of the woodwork?

I see your point but I am a cynical person who generally thinks the worst about human nature. If Vegas would give me odds on this I would bet the a farm on it being true.
October 12, 2010 03:43PM
It's also possible is that he's deliberately not addressing a subject to avoid giving it credence.

I would have to throw that thought out the door. It's the same argument I gave you when we debated the retirement issue. You said it was hogwash since the reporters were going to bring it up anyway. True or not, this is how he should have handled the retirement talk. I believe these accusations are true for the simple reason that was stated in the post. He's not denying it. Noone from his camp is denying it. Not his agent, Not his family. Not his press agent. Noone. If it wasn't true, the first thing his lawyer would be doing is filing slander law suits. That's what stars do when they are Innocent.

It doesn't change my opinion of him one bit. He was still one of the best to ever play. He played a style I didn't care for and if he took better care of the ball, would be the best of all time.
October 12, 2010 04:11PM
caddis
I would have to throw that thought out the door. It's the same argument I gave you when we debated the retirement issue. You said it was hogwash since the reporters were going to bring it up anyway.

I said that the reporters were going to talk about retirement regardless of what Favre said on the subject. And I don't think you're making the same argument. In fact, Favre's not replying to either issue speaks to a common logic.

If it wasn't true, the first thing his lawyer would be doing is filing slander law suits. That's what stars do when they are Innocent.

It's this one statement that gets trotted out by nearly everyone and it screams ignorance as to how defamation works in the US. Stars do NOT start out filing defsmation suits. In fact, in an overwhelming number of cases, they do nothing at all. The exception, and it's is the exception, is when a celebrity actual files suit. In short, the most common legal advice is not file suit, the opposite of your contention. Really, if you or anyone else truly believes the above statement, please contact an attorney or do some research.

At any rate, it makes the lack of lawsuits contention a bit thin, imo. It's decidedly not a certainty.
October 12, 2010 08:29PM
Da Flound
caddis
I would have to throw that thought out the door. It's the same argument I gave you when we debated the retirement issue. You said it was hogwash since the reporters were going to bring it up anyway.

I said that the reporters were going to talk about retirement regardless of what Favre said on the subject. And I don't think you're making the same argument. In fact, Favre's not replying to either issue speaks to a common logic.

If it wasn't true, the first thing his lawyer would be doing is filing slander law suits. That's what stars do when they are Innocent.

It's this one statement that gets trotted out by nearly everyone and it screams ignorance as to how defamation works in the US. Stars do NOT start out filing defsmation suits. In fact, in an overwhelming number of cases, they do nothing at all. The exception, and it's is the exception, is when a celebrity actual files suit. In short, the most common legal advice is not file suit, the opposite of your contention. Really, if you or anyone else truly believes the above statement, please contact an attorney or do some research.

At any rate, it makes the lack of lawsuits contention a bit thin, imo. It's decidedly not a certainty.

How am I not making the same argument? The reporters are still going to report this. By not commenting on it, he gives them nothing. The exact same thing as not responding to retirement talk. He made comments in response to retirement questions. He fueled the fire, and IMO enjoyed it. Bet he's not enjoying this.

Nice use of words, but wrong. I heard the same thing on Mike and Mike on ESPN and the Rome show today. Guys that would probably know more about it then you being in the business. Unless your a lawyer who deals with athletes and movie stars. Rome has been on both sides of slander cases. And there have been plenty of others once it got to the main stream media. I'd agree that that majority probably don't go to court. Who's to say the majority don't go to court because the statements are true? When it gets high profile like this it does happen. Most stars have things to hide. So I could understand your comment that the most common legal advise would be to just let it go so other things don't come out. But this has ramifications if true. In most cases I would guess it doesn't. This isn't just about Brett's character, this could get him suspended.
October 13, 2010 05:32AM
caddis
Nice use of words, but wrong.

Actually, it's correct.

I heard the same thing on Mike and Mike on ESPN and the Rome show today.

Ah yes, Jim Rome, the source for legal advice on American jurisprudence. Frankly, Rome has been involved in potential legal actions, but defamation suits aren't high among them. These guys are sports opinion writers - they love to create narratives, especially Rome.

Guys that would probably know more about it then you being in the business. Unless your a lawyer who deals with athletes and movie stars. Rome has been on both sides of slander cases. And there have been plenty of others once it got to the main stream media.

Probably? Nope. Possible? Maybe.

There are a great number of professions that deal with the law that don't constitute being a lawyer. Many of these professions are much more informed that your typical sport radio shock jock. Which is why I know more than Jim Rome does with regard to defamation suits and the law.

Again, I suggest you do some actual research. You'll find your opinion isn't that accurate. Defamation law in the United States is much less plaintiff-friendly than its counterparts in European and the Commonwealth countries.

I'd agree that that majority probably don't go to court.

I never said most never go to court, although that is true. I said most never even get filed because the US is NOT, repeat NOT, plaintiff friendly. It has some of, if not, the highest burdens of proof of western democracies with regard to defamation.

Who's to say the majority don't go to court because the statements are true?

Because the vast majority of these stories are blalantly untrue - Debbie Gibson is pregnant with my two headed love child.

When it gets high profile like this it does happen. Most stars have things to hide. So I could understand your comment that the most common legal advise would be to just let it go so other things don't come out. But this has ramifications if true. In most cases I would guess it doesn't. This isn't just about Brett's character, this could get him suspended.

Another correction. I never said that the most common legal advice is to let it go in case other things came out. I put no such qualifier on my statement. I simply said the most common piece of advice is simply to let it go because (and I think I've been quite clear on this) it's tremendously difficult to prove under US law. It's difficult due to the malacious intent requirement.

Basically, saying he's guilty because he hasn't filed suit or that not filing suit is indicative of guilt is asinine. No one has actually gone on record and declared any actual transgressions. Deadspin has been smart enough to qualify all their remarks and have skirted the malicious intent aspect necessary for success in a defamation suit. So far none of the actual women involved have made public statements, either. Everything has been salacious conjecture on Deadspin. While possibly injurious to Favre, does not actually constitute defamation.
October 13, 2010 07:15AM
Oh, one very important tidbit I forgot to include that renders the idea of filing suit at this point utterly moot is that Favre has suffered no damages as of yet. He hasn't lost a sponsor or been caused any financial hardship as a result. While the comments to date give the impression they rise to libel, they don't actually cross the line. At this point, Deadspin, by passing along third party information which they frame in language that gives the appearance of a small amount of doubt, is close to bullet-proof with regard to some future suit. If Favre can't point to actual tangible damages, then he has no basis for a lawsuit.

The big issue is that defamation cases tend to be difficult to win, and damage awards tend to be small. As a result, it is unusual for attorneys to be willing to take defamation cases on a contingent fee basis, and the fees expended in litigating even a successful defamation action can exceed the total recovery.

Another significant concern is that, even where the statements made by the defendant are entirely false, it may not be possible for a plaintiff to prove all of the elements of defamation. Most people will respond to news that a plaintiff lost a defamation lawsuit by concluding that the allegations were true. My favourite "you can't disprove a negative rears its ugly head"

In other words, the plaintiff in a defamation action may be required to expend a considerable amount of money to bring the action, may experience significant negative publicity which repeats the false accusations, and if unsuccessful in the litigation may cement into the public consciousness the belief that the defamatory accusations were true. While some plaintiffs will be able to successfully prosecute defamation actions, the possible downside should be considered when deciding whether or not such litigation should be attempted.
October 13, 2010 01:07PM
Truth is a defense to any defamation claim.

If there were no truth to this Favre would as a minimum deny it and demand a retraction. Favre makes $7 million per year in endorsements part of which is based on a family guy, folksy image and there have been reports that some of his sponsors like Lee Jeans are considering pulling their sponsorship. He has every reason in the world to hit back hard if it is pure fabrication. It does not matter what he would recover in any law suit. It would be worth a few million dollars in legal fees just to clear his name and Favre can afford a small army of the best lawyers money can buy.

There's also the tearful meeting with teammates in which he apologized for the distraction. While there is no report that he admitted guilt, he also didn't tell his teammates this is all bullshit. Again, if it is all false why not come out and say it. He obviously feels guilty about something.

This has gone way beyond the point where keeping quiet makes even an iota of sense. Unless of course there is at least some truth to the reports.
October 14, 2010 01:38PM
Chraya
Truth is a defense to any defamation claim.

You're correct - in court, truth is always a defense to any defamation claim. In the court of public opinion and media scrum, it doesn't always work out that way. I think you're applying a statement meant to deal specfically with defense in legal terms and applying to a media situation. In an ideal world, amigo, it'd be great if that happened all the time but sadly, it ain't the case.

If there were no truth to this Favre would as a minimum deny it and demand a retraction. Favre makes $7 million per year in endorsements part of which is based on a family guy, folksy image and there have been reports that some of his sponsors like Lee Jeans are considering pulling their sponsorship. He has every reason in the world to hit back hard if it is pure fabrication. It does not matter what he would recover in any law suit. It would be worth a few million dollars in legal fees just to clear his name and Favre can afford a small army of the best lawyers money can buy.

This is where you and I go off track. I don't think at a minimum Favre has to deny it and demand a retraction if there's no truth to it. In fact, the advice to let it die is just as valid as is the "sue'em 'til their eyes bleed" school of defense. I think it also bears mentioning that guilty people often go on denial blitzes to create the appearance of innocence. There's no hard and fast rule or situation that makes your first statement absolutely true. (I know, you're more cynical than I smiling smiley )

There's also the tearful meeting with teammates in which he apologized for the distraction. While there is no report that he admitted guilt, he also didn't tell his teammates this is all bullshit. Again, if it is all false why not come out and say it. He obviously feels guilty about something.

He may very well be guilty about allegedly cheating, but he could also feel guilty about putting his team-mates through this. Sometimes rose stink badly and sometimes they're actually roses.

This has gone way beyond the point where keeping quiet makes even an iota of sense. Unless of course there is at least some truth to the reports.

I disagree although I will concede he could be quiet because he's guilty. I've never claimed he was innocent but keeping quiet all the way through can work to his advantage if he maintains it and the event dies because no proof comes forward.

Here's something I spotted in an article that caught my eye. Turns out Phil Reese, the manager for Jenn Sterger said that his client "did not provide Deadspin with any information." And a Deadspin editor said it paid a third party for the material and acknowledged it's possible the man who sent the voice mails and photos may not be Favre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 01:42PM by Da Flound.
October 13, 2010 04:40PM
What do you want me to say? Rome said he has been involved in these cases both as a plaintiff and as a defendant. Are you saying he some how doesn't know what he's talking about? He's not a writer, he's a show host that spends every day with professional athletes. He doesn't make the stuff up, he's just the one asking the questions. Nice try though. Mike Golic was a pro football player as was his brother. Mike Greenberg was a Northwestern grad who is also not a writer, though he was once a beat writer. who is also in contact with pro athletes every day. You can try and discredit them all you'd like, it makes sense to them, that's enough for me. I'd imagine your right that it will take some monetary damages before it could become a case. But deadspin isn't the one who's going to be in trouble. It will be the ladies if it's proven they made the stuff up or isn't any proof of their accusations.

To be honest with you, I don't really care. There's a reason I stay off this board. The only reason you seem to be here is to micro dissect Brett posts and spin them how you'd like them to read instead of taking the whole posts in context. You used the exact same reasoning in your post that a month earlier you more or less called nonsense in one of mine. You seem like a Poly Sci major who likes to spit hairs and win each individual argument one at a time. Not the way I'm wired. I've made my judgement of Brett on his whole body of work. not just this, not just the retirement fiascoes, not the Greta interview. I've always said he's just a spoiled athlete like the rest of them. But his aw shucks attitude fooled many on here.To rip off Denny Green, he is what I thought he was. I haven't heard the tapes, but I would assume he was trying to cheat on his wife. That speaks to his character. As do many other things he has done. Defend him or do what ever it is your doing here all you like. For now, I'll treat him for the player he is, a Viking. I'll cheer for him when he goes into the HOF and I'll cheer for him when he goes into the Packer HOF. But til then he's a Viking. Now that's enough for me over here. I'll head back to the other board and do what I come here for, to talk football.
October 14, 2010 01:01PM
caddis
What do you want me to say? Rome said he has been involved in these cases both as a plaintiff and as a defendant. Are you saying he some how doesn't know what he's talking about?

You can say whatever you want - just don't expect me to agree with all of it. smiling smiley

What Rome's says isn't necessarily how it really is. Which means, yes, I am exactly saying Jim Rome doesn't know what he's talking about with regard to defamation suits in the US despite allegedly being involved in suits. If he's caterwauling how Favre is guilty because he hasn't filed suit then Rome can be said to not know his a$$ from a hole in the ground with regard to defamation.

He's not a writer, he's a show host that spends every day with professional athletes.

True, although if you're quibbling between his role as host vs that of being a writer, especially on a LIVE show where the 'writing' occurs instantly, then you've missed the point I was making.

He doesn't make the stuff up, he's just the one asking the questions.

Actually in this case he's not asking questions - you're using his statement as a yardstick by which the legal system works. And I've listened to Rome - I wouldn't out it past him to make something up or to do something to elicit a reaction. Jim Everett comes immediately to mind. Rome is far more concerned about smack talking, ridiculing and generally being over the top than he is about being accurate.

Nice try though. Mike Golic was a pro football player as was his brother. Mike Greenberg was a Northwestern grad who is also not a writer, though he was once a beat writer. who is also in contact with pro athletes every day.

They're all acting in a journalistic aspect and as such are opinion journalists. If you think limiting it to the actual occupation of putting words to print, knock yourself out. Regardless, it doesn't invalidate them as being a poor source for the ins and outs of defamation suits.

You can try and discredit them all you'd like,

I am advocating that Rome's take on defamation suit filing as expressed by you (since I hadn't heard it from Rome, I'm relying on your recollection) probably isn't the greatest. In fact, if it is as you've stated it, if that's what Rome said, then it's pretty much bad advice.

I'd imagine your right that it will take some monetary damages before it could become a case.

In order to even file the suit, let alone until it becomes an actual case, there HAS to be damages. One cannot file suit without claiming some sort of damages. Which is why ANYONE claiming that Favre is guilty primarily because he hasn't filed suit yet is flat out ignorant of how the law actually works. I'm not nor have I ever said Favre isn't guilty. But those who scream that not filing suit means Favre is guilty is talking out of their butt without a clue.

But deadspin isn't the one who's going to be in trouble. It will be the ladies if it's proven they made the stuff up or isn't any proof of their accusations.

(Sigh) Neither will be in trouble if things remain as they are. First off, Deadspin has couched the accusations allowing for them to be untrue - they haven't made any fully declarative statements. The girls, to a woman, as of yet, have NOT made any public statements at all nor are they seemingly willing to go on record now. Which means they're not liable, either. On top of that, the plaintiff (Favre) would have to show that they had malacious intent. Like I've said before and had it fall on deaf ears, there's really no lawsuit that can be filed with what we've got right now. So, again, to say Favre is guility primarily because he hasn't filed suit is stoooopid.

To be honest with you, I don't really care. There's a reason I stay off this board. The only reason you seem to be here is to micro dissect Brett posts and spin them how you'd like them to read instead of taking the whole posts in context.

For someone that doesn't care, your actions seem to indicate otherwise, so you'll forgive me if I toss that feigned bit of nonchalance on the dust heap. FYI, I'm here for a variety of reasons, none of which fall under the auspices of your wildass guess, but thanks for trying all the same. I've made no personal comment about you but I see you couldn't resist. That speaks to a person's character - should I think you're a despicable person because of that? (I don't, but if I used your thought process, I should. smiling smiley )

I came to this thread to answer Chraya and you replied to my response to him and wrote the following; I believe these accusations are true for the simple reason that was stated in the post. He's not denying it. Noone from his camp is denying it. Not his agent, Not his family. Not his press agent. Noone. If it wasn't true, the first thing his lawyer would be doing is filing slander law suits. That's what stars do when they are Innocent. Exactly how did I spin these statements to make them read as I would like them to? It seems to me I kept the meaning and intent of your comments throughout the discussion.

In every single post, my replies to you have revolved around these statements you made and exactly why I think they're not indicative of how defamation suits really work and don't make a good reason to think Favre is guilty. I did not take your remarks out of context. In fact, I've maintained their context throughout despite your assertion otherwise.

You used the exact same reasoning in your post that a month earlier you more or less called nonsense in one of mine.

Actually, it wasn't the same reasoning that I reversed, even though you think it was. It was contended that Favre could have stopped ALL the retirement talking simply by saying he's not going to retire until he says he's ready to retire and thus forestall the drama. I said that it was asinine to think so. Regardless of what Favre said, the media was still going to speculate on the retirement of a QB is his late 30s and Favre's comments would be akin to spitting into a tsunami and fanning the flames of retirement talk unecessarily. I did not argue against Favre speaking out like that, but suggested its effectiveness as at stopping speculation was highly suspect.

I think the same holds true here. People are going to continue to believe what they want. The media members that will speculate will continue to do so and those with more integrity are waiting for actual proof. Favre making a blanket denial will have the identical lack of effectiveness at forestalling the sexting scandal and flaring it up for another news cycle. So, contrary to your claim that I'm using the same logic I pooh-poohed a month earlier, I'd say I'm being rather consistent in my application and you're mis-remembering the conversation.

You seem like a Poly Sci major who likes to spit hairs and win each individual argument one at a time.

When someone starts down the road of making personal comments in lieu of reasoning, they should just not bother posting. It's good advice you should follow. I can respect someone with the ability to disagree without making it personal.

As for your specific charges about my ability to argue a point, I must remind you that you followed me onto this thread and answered my reply to Chraya in an effort, to use your own words, to micro-dissect and split hairs with one of the many possible responses that I felt Chraya seemed to preclude from his post. From that point on, I've only replied to the content of your posts and have remained with the original argument. That I'm dismantling the points you're making is because I disagree with them and I've made attempts to explain myself each time. It's not my fault you're relying on suspect sources of information, but I guess the old saying rings true in this case - when in Rome...
October 14, 2010 01:31PM
Flound you are completely wrong about damages. You can file a lawsuit in which you seek unspecified damages or $1 in damages (or $1 plus attorney fees). Damages can also be measured many ways and it is far from clear that Favre has not already suffered damages. Even if the sponsors who are thinking about canceling deals with him do not, through expert testimony you can potentially show that the story will cost Favre money (lost opportunities with future sponsors) and therefore damages.

If your point is merely that proving damages in this case may be difficult, fine. But the point of a law suit by Favre would be to clear his name not get a monetary reward in which case those considerations take a back seat. Before you ever get to filing a lawsuit in a situation like this, you have to take the first step. First step is public denial followed by demand for retraction and apology. The threat of litigation follows if that does not produce the desired result. If the threat fails, then you think about whether to file a suit or not and what damages you may try to claim.

Of course, you only pursue the foregoing course of action if the story is completely false.
October 14, 2010 02:25PM
Chraya
Flound you are completely wrong about damages. You can file a lawsuit in which you seek unspecified damages or $1 in damages (or $1 plus attorney fees). Damages can also be measured many ways and it is far from clear that Favre has not already suffered damages. Even if the sponsors who are thinking about canceling deals with him do not, through expert testimony you can potentially show that the story will cost Favre money (lost opportunities with future sponsors) and therefore damages.

No, I'm not wrong. In the filing you have to describe damages, although you can state the amount as being unspecified. Those nature of those damages have to specified in the filing even if the amount is left unknown. Current earnings loss, emotional hardship, etc... the lost opportunities angle you're hanging on aren't considered direct damages - they're typically classed as being consequential damages. Remote consequences of a defendant's act or omission cannot form the basis for an award of compensatory damages. Favre needs a little more than what he's got right now to file a suit.

At this point, Favre can't actually point to any specific damages, so filing a suit at this point is pretty much impossible for Favre. Which makes the contention that he's automatically guilty because he hasn't filed suit as being a ridiculous statement.

If your point is merely that proving damages in this case may be difficult, fine. But the point of a law suit by Favre would be to clear his name not get a monetary reward in which case those considerations take a back seat.

Actually, damages need not be monetary, although typically they're the easiest to prove. Damage to one's reputation is another but extremely diificult to prove. Besides, proving damages is one of the lesser hurdles Favre has to achieve. Proving that Deadspin knowing published false information and did so maliciously is the big problem. Besides, damages are remedial in nature - before an individual can recover damages, the injury suffered must be one recognized by law as warranting redress, and must have actually been sustained by the individual.

Before you ever get to filing a lawsuit in a situation like this, you have to take the first step. First step is public denial followed by demand for retraction and apology. The threat of litigation follows if that does not produce the desired result. If the threat fails, then you think about whether to file a suit or not and what damages you may try to claim.

This is pretty accurate but not completely so. There need not be a threat of litigation. One can proceed directly with litigation after a denial. The threat is usually a tactic employed, but it is not a necessary step to filing suit. After a public denial and call for retraction, one can assess or claim damages and file suit. However, in the filing, one must detail the type of alleged damages. So far, Favre can;t point ot any actual damages, real or imagined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2010 02:25PM by Da Flound.
October 14, 2010 03:39PM
No one is saying lawyers need to file suit tomorrow. They start with strategic posturing and worry about quantifying damages later. If this were bullshit, Brett would be so pissed off he would not be worried about details like the problem in quantifying damages. Plenty of lawsuits settle out of court where the plaintiff would have had a real uphill battle proving damages. Plaintiff lawyers who put the ball in motion in those cases do so with full knowledge that damages would be difficult to prove in court.

There is no way the Favre camp would take this lying down if the whole thing were B.S. Favre has called out Jay Glazer and others on stories that were essentially correct with minor details incorrect. Why do you think his yap is shut in this case? It is not Brett's nature to let someone tell a public lie about him and let it go unchallenged.
October 14, 2010 03:57PM
Actually....it is in Brett's nature to keep his mouth shut in most cases. Have we forgotten all about the retirement drama year after year?

"And Tim Tebow just proved he's for real"

It's not MM's fault
October 14, 2010 07:20PM
Chraya
No one is saying lawyers need to file suit tomorrow.

Yes, people are, by implication, saying that it already should be done. If he wasn't guilty, he would have filed suit by now is exactly what caddis and others have said. "If it wasn't true, the first thing his lawyer would be doing is filing slander law suits. That's what stars do when they are Innocent." That's the contention I had. It's too early for a suit (for several alluded to reasons) and to use the lack of a lawsuit as grounds for automatically assuming guilt is asinine.

As I've said numerous times, there's no lawsuit here yet. Deadspin hasn't come out and stated categorically that Favre did it. They've been careful to avoid calling it a fait d'accompli and have framed their articles outlining the possibility of it being a hoax. None of the actual women involved have come forth and made public statements yet either.

I really don't care if people think Favre put the 'p' back in jpg. I just think it's silly to automatically assume he's guilty simply because he hasn't filed suit at this point. The rest of your post appears to assume my objections relate to something I've never denied. I've stated on several occasions that Favre could very well be silent because of guilt. But to say he's guilty because he hasn't filed suit - not really an opinion based on a good understanding of law.
October 15, 2010 02:21AM
OK, so we are basically arguing about nothing. I agree that it is premature to file a lawsuit but not premature to begin litigation posturing - writing letters, demanding retractions, making threats and denying the story.
October 08, 2010 01:26PM
I heard it myself on the radio this morning Slank. It's Brett alright. It didn't make me happy hearing it.

October 08, 2010 02:48PM
Even if it IS his voice, and if the photos ARE of his anatomy, so what? Do you really think that these guys don't have affairs? That they aren't a little celebrity-sick? You all bitch about how Favre is a diva and it's all about him, etc., and then when he acts like it's all about him, you're shocked! Big deal. He didn't hurt anybody.

IMO, his personal life is his, especially if he didn't hurt anybody or break a law. This is between him and his family and maker. The coverage is just a well-timed, pathetic smear. It will all go away after Monday night. This is nothing more than a gossip column hit job. I applaud the credible news organizations who don't give it a minute of air time or an inch of space.
October 09, 2010 02:34AM
For once we agree, for the most part. I don't care what these athletes do. Many of them have absolutely hedonistic lifestyles. I would probably do the same in their position. More power to them. Worst thing Brett may have done here is that he struck out.

But I don't applaud the media because their reason for ignoring the story is not taking the high road, normally the American media loves a good sex scandal. The reason is fear of retribution from Brett. That's cowardice, IMO.
October 08, 2010 04:32PM
I bet Deanna could confirm the mug shot of "LiL' Lorenzo"!! In time, tis will all come out. like I said a while back when I was catching so much heat for this, noone makes that stuff up, there is always a thred of truth. The whole thing maybe BS, but there is usually something there or they wouldn't have said anything in the first place. They ar egoing up against one of the poster nboys on a billion dollar industry though, it ain't easy.

Bo Jackson
I bet Deanna could confirm the mug shot of "LiL' Lorenzo"!! In time, tis will all come out. like I said a while back when I was catching so much heat for this, no one makes that stuff up, there is always a thred of truth. The whole thing maybe BS, but there is usually something there or they wouldn't have said anything in the first place. They're going up against one of the poster boys on a billion dollar industry though, it ain't easy.

Bo Jackson
I bet Deanna could confirm the mug shot of "LiL' Lorenzo"!! In time, tis will all come out. like I said a while back when I was catching so much heat for this, no one makes that stuff up, there is always a thred of truth. The whole thing maybe BS, but there is usually something there or they wouldn't have said anything in the first place. They're going up against one of the poster boys on a billion dollar industry though, it ain't easy.

Bo Jackson
October 08, 2010 12:30PM
Dinger
[www.baltimoresun.com]

I heard the audio this morning (107.5 Green Bay). It's Favre alright. I heard about it about a month and a half ago, and now again. That was Favre talking, no doubt about it. The guys hosting the show did too. They also were wondering if ESPN, who kisses Favre's butt regularly, will report on this, or other national outlets as well. When I first heard this, I thought, nah, just a story. But now, there's way too much smoke for no fire, and the "pics" of Favre's so-called manhood are on Deadspin (the announcers said). Hmmmm . . .

I guess this is what you expect when someone becomes a viking.

LOL...but he was taught the NFL ways in Green Bay. What does that say about the Packers?

Sure sounds like him...but only Deanna will be able to verify the pics (sorry TT).

It's not MM's fault
October 08, 2010 12:50PM
Did your post have a point?
October 08, 2010 01:56PM
Does yours?

It's not MM's fault
October 08, 2010 12:52PM
Why is it that every time something negative emerges about Brett you find a way to blame the Packers? Yeah, like the Packers taught Brett how to be a woman chaser as if he hadn't already figured that out on his own.
October 08, 2010 01:56PM
Why does everything negative that Brett has supposedly done deserve a post here?

It's not MM's fault
Do You Want Is Swept Under The Rug?
October 08, 2010 02:35PM
Just curious what you think.

October 09, 2010 06:38AM
Why? Because people are angry at Brett (not everyone but many).

Also, if it proves to be true another distraction for the Vikes is potentially good for the Pack.
October 09, 2010 06:58AM
Chraya
Why? Because people are angry at Brett (not everyone but many).

Also, if it proves to be true another distraction for the Vikes is potentially good for the Pack.

Your reasoning that it could be another distraction for the Vikes is hogwash. People are doing it because they just cannot let it go because of his perceived disrespect of the Packer organization and its fans (which was also hogwash). But that has been hashed and rehashed for over 2 years now. If they have not gotten over it by now...I would guess that it will eat at them for the rest of their lives. In the meantime...if someone chooses to post silly comments about Brett...I will be happy to show them the black kettle.

It's not MM's fault
October 09, 2010 09:48AM
We will never agree on what happened in 2007.

The Vikings appear worried about a potential distraction. They went through the trouble of scrubbing the question from the transcript of the press conference. A pending NFL investigation isn't a distraction? All good news. Let's hope for more.
October 09, 2010 10:03AM
Chraya
We will never agree on what happened in 2007.

The Vikings appear worried about a potential distraction. They went through the trouble of scrubbing the question from the transcript of the press conference. A pending NFL investigation isn't a distraction? All good news. Let's hope for more.

Not saying it will not be a distraction but that is not the reason it was brought up. It was brought up because of the party involved. I mean...I do not recall a thread about Big Ben Roethlisberger.

It's not MM's fault

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 10:07AM by 4Pack.
October 09, 2010 10:49AM
Well Dinger brought it up and she is a big Favre fan. She brought it up in August too.

There have been posts about Big Ben including one thread started by a poster furious when his suspension was reduced. Big Ben never played for the Packers and does not currently play in our conference much less for our biggest rival so his travails are of less interest to Packer fans.
October 09, 2010 11:18AM
Chraya
Well Dinger brought it up and she is a big Favre fan. She brought it up in August too.

There have been posts about Big Ben including one thread started by a poster furious when his suspension was reduced. Big Ben never played for the Packers and does not currently play in our conference much less for our biggest rival so his travails are of less interest to Packer fans.

Actually Dinger herself said she was a Favre supporter until he decided to play with the evil Vikings. I assumed that meant she i no longer a Favre fan.

There were a few posts about Big Ben but I do not recall a thread dedicated to him. I remember a post in a thread referencing his suspension but not a thread it self. But considering Big Ben is an NFL player whom we do play against every few years and is a QB whom we could face in the SB after Ted leaves...I would think everything he does would be of interest. That goes for any NFL player who may someday face our Packers. In fact it is quite possible that Big Ben will play longer than Brett even.

It's not MM's fault
NFL Looking Into It
October 08, 2010 02:37PM
[packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com]

Developing . . .

Re: NFL Looking Into It
October 08, 2010 02:51PM
I wonder how many other players will be investigated for trying to pick up a woman?
October 08, 2010 03:24PM
We'll see how this plays out. I stuck with Brett for a long time, but when he went to the Vikings, well, that was the proverbial straw. It's a shame. I feel bad for is wife and his kids, can't help it. Calm down.

October 08, 2010 06:00PM
Dinger, you hit the nail on the head.

I think a number of us feel sorry for his wife and kids, and how much they are in the spotlight as a consequence of being part of the family.
October 08, 2010 06:15PM
Swizz
Dinger, you hit the nail on the head.

I think a number of us feel sorry for his wife and kids, and how much they are in the spotlight as a consequence of being part of the family.

Sorry to part of their own family? If that is the case...I feel sorry for them also but not in the way you are.

It's not MM's fault
October 09, 2010 09:15AM
Whether Favre is guilty or not, it must be awkward for his family to deal with the media attention that will surround this. Not sure what I feel sorry for them also but not in the way you are means. Is there more than one way to feel sorry for them ?
October 09, 2010 02:41AM
There are two potential problems (1) the personal conduct policy whereby embarrassing the NFL can get you in trouble (player got in trouble for a consensual sex video, for example), thus if the pics are legit there is a policy that provides basis for discipline with Commish being judge and jury; and (2) potential sexual harassment issues. The Jets are already highlighting that Sterger was a contractor and not an employee of the Jets, which sounds an awful lot like laying the basis for protection from a potential sexual harassment claim.
October 08, 2010 05:25PM
It was on JSO also.

[customwire.ap.org]

Is this the same person that had accused Brett before or is it a dfferent lady? And what type of paper or website is Deadspin? A national enquirer type of rag?
October 08, 2010 11:17PM
caddis
Is this the same person that had accused Brett before or is it a dfferent lady?

Apparently, two other women, both massage therapists for the Jets at the time, have supposedly come forward with other tales of Favre. Unfortunately, they went to Deadspin and have not made any public statements.

caddis
And what type of paper or website is Deadspin? A national enquirer type of rag?

Deadspin is a gossip blog, plain and simple. If you increased their integrity tenfold, you just might reach the level of the Enquirer or Star. It has such memorable recurring columns like "GREAT MOMENTS IN DRUNKEN HOOKUP FAILURE" and captivating articles like; People Are Definitely Boning At The Commonwealth Games, Byron Scott's Swastika Tie To Become Latest Slap In The Face To Cleveland Fans and one of my favourites, This Is What Happens When The Commonwealth Games Are Attacked By Monkeys And Snakes
October 09, 2010 02:51AM
Yes, it is. But that doesn't mean Deadspin is wrong (didn't the Equirer break the Tiger story?). The audio tapes sound pretty convincing.